Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • chap with a broken leg over llandegla today
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

hi, just wondering if anyone knows if there was any news at all if he’s ok? Lying with his mate, to the side of the track, just beyond the new(ish) rock drop and boardwalk, about 1pm.

He was going into shock as we were waiting for the ambulance, so just wanted to check he was ok?

donsimon
    Free Member

Didn’t see that, but there was another ambulance on the fireroad just after the point where the blue leaves the red trail.
    Healing vibe for all injured peeps.

spudly1979
    Free Member

yeah saw that one too, busy day up at degla!

theendisnigh
    Free Member

My mate rode straight into a tree at Cannock last Thursday. Broken nose, broken wrist, carried out on a spine board, luckily just muscular damage it seems spine is ok. He was lucky he has a strong neck. Be careful out there peeps!

fairhurst
    Free Member

ohh my god! just goes to show the extremities of riding at that place!
    be safe and aware on the graded black and red trails at all times as this is a prime example.
    be safe be seen be heard!

jet26
    Free Member

Anecdotally it seems number and severity of injuries going up.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Proportional to how badly designed some of the ‘features’ are…….blind hips,sniper landings etc.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

As bikes get more capable, people ride faster and when mistakes are made its inevitably more damaging. Modern bikes/suspension flatter most peoples ability. Combine that with male competitiveness…it is a worry. My mate was lucky not to have a serious injury. When I got to him he was lying on his side, motionless, face mostly red with blood and cross eyed. It was like a horror film. Freaked me out big time, I thought he was brain damaged. I left to get an ambulance, got back 30 mins later fearing the worst. He was sat up being his normal dry, witty self, wiggling his toes and fingers. My relief was intense. I have just spent a fortune building my pride and joy, but I didn’t want it in those moments. Obviously sanity has now returned now my mate is officially mendable, although I might slow down a bit.

big-lad
    Free Member

i was wondering the same about the bloke at llandegla. think the amulance was with him at 2ish but dont know anymore than that. anyone else got any info?

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I was going to post asking about the guy on the first black newly referbed bit , he looked v unwell .

project
    Free Member

People make mistakes and have accidents, thats why the ambulance people are there.

As per usual Big thanks to them for attending, along with staff at Wrexham a and e.

FieldMarshall

We rode Llandegla last Sun.. Didnt think the Black bits were particularly technical, but the smoothness of the trail does encourage you to ride them flat out. Wouldnt take much of an error to have a big off at speed. And as stated above modern bikes are very forgiving and can give you a false sense of security.

Seemed to be a real mix of abilities out on the black aswell. Some seemed a bit out of their depth, but everyones got to start progressing somehow.

By comparison rode Coed Y Brenin on the Sat. Found it more technical and thus it tended to slow you down, thus any offs were less dramatic.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

fairhurst – Member
    be safe and aware on the graded black and red trails at all times as this is a prime example.
    be safe be seen be heard!

too true my friend, too true 🙂

philfive
    Free Member

The jumps on the b line are not the best, blind hips and of camber landings can make things tricky

sterho1
    Free Member

There was a chap at the first table you come to after the red and black split about 10:30. Hope he’s ok.?

It’s the part that’s just been re-done.

People do seem to think that the black will be o,k as regards to jumps on the b-line being hipped your right but surely any rider who understands what black means rolls down the track first to check it out?
    Everything is rollable at delga.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

right but surely any rider who understands what black means rolls down the track first to check it out?

Nope, took Llandegla black to be as it is and about red.5, went flat out and had an off after the boards on one of the tables that has a slight curve (I went up the wall) my fault really but fully understood what I was doing. It does let speed build up very easily into the jumps which will cause people problems.

Not wanting to cause offence but about 25% the people I used to see on the Black at Llandegla shouldn’t try a red anywhere else! Not long after it opened there was a big group at the start of the boards psycing up or out of it. We took a quick look and then jumped in, they were still there telling each other how they could do it – the body language said no…..

spudly1979
    Free Member

You mean three big rock drop off before the boards? Was a big group of lads there today too, trying to talk each other into it. You get the same at werewolf drop over cannock, puts me right off!

mrbump
    Free Member

some of the jumps require concentration if hitting them flat out but surely you would not be hitting them flat out if you was not confident. i think its not a lot more challaging than foest of dean blue route but i must admit this lack of tech does make you want to ride it fast and therefore bigger consquences when you crash but it is classed as black/severe .

FieldMarshall

I must admit we hit the first black section quite hard as i had ridden that before, albeit five years ago.

But was very cautious on the B line as that was new to me. Thats probably why i thought it was not too technical. But agree those blind jumps would be interesting if hit fast without knowing the trail.

Also knowing that my nephew broke his collarbone and wrist on the black 2 months back, focuses the mind!

Hope those who crashed this weekend make a good recovery.

_tom_
    Free Member

Proportional to how badly designed some of the ‘features’ are…….blind hips,sniper landings etc.

+1, for the amount of speed you can get the jumps are far too short as well.

donsimon
    Free Member

Everything is rollable at delga.

+1. 😳
    All except the entrance to the boards on the black after JJs. Even though it is all rollable there is plenty of opportunity for spillage if you are rolling too quickly.

FieldMarshall

That bit nearly caught me out. Now i realise why people were stood there hesitating. I thought it was just a straight roll in. 😳

We also saw people cutting through the trees near the bridge to avoid the boardwalk.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The B-Line is one of the best sections of trail (man-made)in the country and the B-Line board-walk is probably the best constructed I’ve ridden.

The chicken-coup meshing that covers it and pitch and camber of it is spot-on.

At first I thought the off camber hip-jumps and angled landings on some of the jumps were poorly executed but then I realised it gave it better longevity.

I doubt the designers of any black-section would want it to be ‘mastered’ straight off.

PS – Hope the rider who had the off makes a swift recovery. 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

First off hate to hear of injuries so hope all mend quickly.

I did Llandelga for the 1st time last Sunday, I found the trails loads of fun but they just flowed so nice I was compelled to ride them fast and this brings home how careful you need to be, would of hurt bigtime to come off on that surface at speed but I have reasonable ability and experience knowing where to be cautious.

Saying that from experience I’ve been involved in and witnessed some scary looking falls and walked away relatively unscathed, then minor falls have caused serious injury. The worst being over kinver freeride, there are some big jumps/drops/gaps and some small ones, one time this dude hit this real small jump and snapped the big bone in the top of his leg (forget what its called).

bwaarp
    Free Member

But agree those blind jumps would be interesting if hit fast without knowing the trail.

But what kind of an idiot rides a trail flat out and hits jumps, when they don’t know it? If they do they deserve a TBI, if you get sparked out because you rode a trail to fast without getting to know the run first then it’s you own damn fault. It’s about as intelligent as sticking a fork in an electrical socket.

Injuries are going up because there are lots of 40 odd year old bike-walts pretending they can ride on 5 grand bikes.

jruk
    Free Member

What’s age got to do with it? The same could be said about spotty kids trying to out do each other. If you come off at anything over jogging pace there’s a good chance of hurting yourself – rocks and tree stumps are hard no matter how old you are.

donsimon
    Free Member

Injuries are going up because there are lots of 40 odd year old bike-walts pretending they can ride on 5 grand bikes.

Oh dear.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’m a spotty forty year old, pretending he can ride, trying to out do his mates. Bike only cost three and a half grand though, so yes I totally agree, its those winkers on the five grand bikes! That’s who it is!!!

FieldMarshall

Injuries are going up because there are lots of 40 odd year old bike-walts pretending they can ride on 5 grand bikes

LOL.

When I think about it, I’m amazed how any of us 40 year olds have managed to survive the last 2 decades of mountain biking.

You would have thought that natutal selection would have seen us off by now. 😆

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

You talk some shit bwaarp.

bigmike666
    Free Member

I had an off on the rock drop onto the North Shore section yesterday(sunday). I didn’t need an ambulance but I’d like to thank all the lads who stopped to help. Main concern was with my head as I took a hit but my helmet took most of the impact. Went to hospital on return home as my shoulder was the most painful and I have broken my clavicle. I have ridden Llandegla lots of times but not since this new section has been put in and it did take me surprise, obviously.

_tom_
    Free Member

Has the rock drop got bigger? As even my mates who until then had hardly ridden mtb were fine with rolling it.. They didn’t do the drop off the wood on that section though.

hughjardon
    Free Member

I feel better equipped to survive @ 45 on a 3grand bike

Than I did @ 20 armed with only a flexstem!

The 25 years of experience doesn’t go amiss either 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Bloke saying thanks.

I do wonder if the rise of 6″+ travel bikes and light body armour has led to an increase in serious injuries, people are going faster with no more skill, stands to reason the crashes will be worse. The average bike is a lot more capable than 20 or even 10 years ago, riders haven’t changed.

D0NK

my mate managed to break his leg (and snapped ligaments) playing 5 aside, no one near him just turned funny.

The human body is a fragile thing, doesn’t take much to wreck it.

What are sniper jumps btw?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Small unsighted landings….though most people ‘dead sailor to flat’ anyhoo 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

I do wonder if the rise of 6″+ travel bikes and light body armour has led to an increase in serious injuries, people are going faster with no more skill, stands to reason the crashes will be worse. The average bike is a lot more capable than 20 or even 10 years ago, riders haven’t changed.

This is certainly something that may well be happening.

As bikes get more capable people ride larger obstacles as well. same amount of crashes but the consequences worse from the bigger impacts?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The same could be said about spotty kids trying to out do each other.

There’s always been spotty kids trying to outdo each other.

There hasnt always been 40 year old men on 5 grand bikes trying to emulate something they’ve seen on Roam, but on a 2 foot jump. (or has there?)

binners

Probably best to play it safe and just ride around the car park on your XTR kitted, carbon Nomad. Seems like there’s plenty people do 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whilst I’d agree that some of the jumps are a bit blind considdering how easy they are (I’m not a fan of tabletops with rased takeoffs, make sit harder to judge) they’re not generaly small or steep, just out of sight which is a bit anoying on a ‘trail’ designed to be ridden on sight.

I still think it’s a brilliant track though loadsa fun, especialy the bits you get into then go whooooooooaaaaaaa bit too comitted here like the high (but wide and straight) boardwalk and the above mentioned drop to the boardwalk later on that doesn’t look like a drop untill you’re pitched over the rock into it at 45deg!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘chap with a broken leg over llandegla today’ is closed to new replies.