Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do national firms still do price negotiations?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I have been shopping around for a new phone deal. The variation in some cases has been huge between, for example, carphone warehouse and the network’s own shops (who always offer worse deals). I have asked numerous times if they will match offers I have seen elsewhere (I’d love to avoid dealing with a 3rd party) but none of them seemed willing to even consider it. Just a flat “No, that’s our price”. Me: “but it’s asking £150 for a handset that phones4u are giving free on the same deal”.

Blank expression.

Is there any point trying to talk a better deal with these companies any more?

tomhoward

Even when I’ve dealt direct with the network (02) it still gets dealt with by Carphone warehouse.

Cougar

You need to be careful with “free” vs “no upfront cost.” No-one gives away high end handsets for free.

Best deal overall will almost certainly be to buy a handset outright and either pay monthly on a SIM-only tariff or pay-as-you-go. If you don’t want to do that then you’re at the mercy of whoever’s pricing scheme seems most attractive.

ampthill

You’ve answered your own question

You can get pay less at a third party but you perceive this as less good and want to deal direct with the operator. They are in business, why should they drop the price to match a deal from an out fit that you feel is less good.

They know that you think or you’d have jus bought in phone 4 u

I once got stuck behind some one in an electronics store pleading with them to price match the internet

He kept saying but I can get the same for less online

The shop kept saying well then just go and buy it online. But of course he didn’t want to he wanted the convenience of a shop at online prices

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ah well, typical stw answers, should have known! Try an answer without assumed superiority.

Did none of you ever speak to, for example, ‘customer retentions’ when calling a company about the deal you have with them, or want with them?

Cougar, I’ve looked through the offers and they are generally equal to, or slightly better, than buying the handset separately and just paying for a sim only contract. My thinking is surely O2 or EE can buy the handsets as cheaply as Carphone Warehouse and offer them on a similar deal?

ourmaninthenorth

Short answer is that retailers like DixonsCarphone or virtual network operators like GiffGaff or TalkTalk will always be cheaper.

I think there was a similar thread the other day – I postedon there. Some good advice from others too.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s interesting to hear.

I do recall working for British Gas and putting clients through to a team who could offer them better deals under negotiation. I wonder if that’s still the case.

ourmaninthenorth

If you call their customer services (not the shops, who have different targets) and tell them you want to leave then they should put you through to their retentions/loyalty department who have more discretion to offer an improved deal.

TBH the networks are just greedy. I’d vote with your feet and shop elsewhere. Why spend more?

nickdavies

Try an answer without assumed superiority?

Sorry, I’m lost on that bit where was the assumed superiority? Or typical stw response?

Network doesn’t need to compete on price, they feel they can offer value for money elsewhere. If you don’t think that then buy from the cheaper phone shop. You want to avoid dealing with an third party, and it’s convenience that’s costing the extra. I don’t think any multiple retailer of electrics will do a lot if anything on price these days, it’s all set from above be it network or 3rd party.

They also have to supply the other companies who do them cheaper – if they just undercut them then they’d not have a great wholesale business…

spooky_b329

You may get a deal as an existing customer once you are out of contract. As a new customer its very unlikely.

As others have said, sim only and an unlocked phone is the cheapest way to go, just add up the price of any contract deal over the full period and compare to a giffgaff sim card and phone you buy outright. And it gets you out of the 18/24 month upgrade cycle when you wouldn’t otherwise feel obliged to upgrade the phone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep as stated they do not need to do the deal with you, especially if you are about to go and get a deal with them through a 3rd party.

It was many years ago but a friend at the time who worked for orange explained it as they get 90% of their profit from 10% of their customers (or something like that). This was when 2 year contracts became the norm etc. you want them to put extra effort into selling you something that probably returns them very little, possibly they get more on that deal as fee’s from the re-seller than they would make by discounting it.
    National companies will negotiate, if they want to.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do national firms still do price negotiations?’ is closed to new replies.