• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by cp.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Do Inbreds have ‘exciting kona’ handling/what travel fork to make this happen?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

I’m wondering if inbreds have similar handling to konas,in it feeling exciting to carve along singletrack,and you want to get to the top of hills just to cycle down something twisty.

My alu cindercone is too stiff and too small,but i like the way it likes going round corners and aling singletrack.

Thoughts please…

thanks
    Tim

clubber
    Free Member

I’d say that they’re pretty similar having got/had several of both.

The fork length depends on the exact on-one but my recent on-ones are designed for 5″ forks and are spot on with just that. A 100mm works fine on singletrack too but can be a bit too lively on steeper stuff.

cp

i’ve got both a standard inbred (now commuter/hack bike) and a 456 ‘main bike’.

Last time I rode a Kona the right size for me was my 1994 Kona Lava Dome! However, I love the ride of the inbred and the 456- they both love singletrack but the 456 likes the more burly singletrack 🙂 It goes up hill a treat as well.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Looks like i might be asking for an Inbred for my birthday then.

Thanks guys.

CountZero

I’d agree with cp. I have a rigid 853 SS with carbon forks, and a 567 prototype with 160mm Nixons on, and they both have the same nimble quality on twisty trails and singletrack. I think you’ll love it, there’s some Kona DNA in the Inbred family, I’m sure.:0)

druidh
    Free Member

An Inbred “nimble”, “carving along singletrack”. Not as I remember.

TimothyD
    Free Member

What set up did you have on your inbred druidh,did you find the angles too slack for it to be nimble?

druidh
    Free Member

It was originally set up with 90-120 Manitou Blacks, later some Marzocchi XC500s. Don’t get me wrong – I was happy with the Inbred for lots of my riding – but I would never have described it as nimble, more “planted”.

clubber
    Free Member

Funny because I like my bikes quite twitchy for the local singletrack and that’s exactly why I’ve now got an inbred (853 version, designed for a 5″ fork) for my local riding. Perfect with a 440mm rigid or 115mm Reba IMO.

Druid, was yours one of the earlier inbreds that was designed for a 100mm fork?

druidh
    Free Member

Indeedy.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m with duidh here.

An Inbred with 115mm forks and a 60mm stem felt decidedly pedestrian next to my Soul with 125mm forks and 90mm stem. Nice enough when it was gently swoopy, but as soon as it got tight the Soul just came alive, when I’d be fighting the Inbred.

That said, this was a couple of years back, so things might have changed.

cp

100mm forks are prob max for the standard inbred. my early version was designed around 80mm forks…

the 456 is much more at home with longer forks (VERY nimble with the forks at 100mm). FWIW I run my 456 with Fox float 100-120-140. 100 on the steeper climbs, 120 on most twisty fast singletrack, and 140 on rocky point and shooters 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Do Inbreds have ‘exciting kona’ handling/what travel fork to make this happen?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM