Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do I want to buy a PS4 (for my boy)?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

He’s eight and loves his switch, but is interested in other gaming options too.

I’d prefer something lower cost, but the prices still seem high.

Though I could consider secondhand, as I assume some people will now be migrating to the PS5?

Are they solid and reliable? I assume there’s tons of suitable games as it’s been out for years?

dannybgoode

Yes they’re solid and reliable. Mine has been in use for 6 solid years and never missed a beat and much of that time has been in the hands of my now 9yo.

And yes, there’s plenty of age appropriate games as well. Just be prepared for the inevitable ‘but so and so can play GTA etc so why can’t I?’ battles!

I would only consider the PS4 Pro though at this stage of the product life cycle…

jon1973
    Free Member

as I assume some people will now be migrating to the PS5?

I’m not sure you can actually get hold of them at the moment.

el_boufador

My kids far far prefer pc gaming. Ps is basically sat unused (need to sell it really). Pcs are also a better investment for school work etc. We’d also have been screwed without them over lockdown.

Rich_s

Sure you can. Seems to be a nack I’ve got and I’ve bought 5 now for friends and family. If anyone in Wirral area wants one I have a disc edition just in from the drop on Thurs. £450 plus a donation of your choice to my kids’ schools PTA. I won’t post it. It’s from amazon and I’ll hand over the receipt.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, what’s better about the pro version?

And how much should I be paying used, for either?

Might be getting GTA but for my own usage.

tartanscarf

Get the pro version. Faster, slightly better graphics and more storage. You can get them second hand for good prices. Make sure to confirm the fan isn’t noisy before buying and get it straight back if it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pcs are also a better investment for school work etc.

However, a proper gaming PC is at least a grand likely more. You can however still do school work fine on a £150 used PC or a Chromebook, which our kids school handed out.

chakaping
    Free Member

He’s eight years old, he’s not getting a **** PC, don’t worry.

lesgrandepotato

@chakaping we have an 8yr old. Getting lots of mileage out of the PS3 games available in CEX at pocket money prices.

At this point f1 2012 and gt5 are getting lots of action, oh and farming simulator.

I’m sure the latest and greatest are better but getting on for 50quid a throw for each game means a bit more consideration than getting 20 quids worth in CEX of stuff that might be cool.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

The step up from PS4 to Pro was mainly a 4k output and a faster processor. On a small/med tv (where 1080p HD is fine for resolution) being played by a kid the standard one is more than fine.

All my PlayStation stuff over the years has lasted pretty well. The console you should be able to get second hand easily, if it’s been looked after it’ll be fine. Controllers you may want from new as they’ll have been sat on under a cushion accidentally at least a million times by now.

PS3 is a good shout, same rules as above. Me and my mates from the flat opposite are thinking about doing a whip round for a PS3 (we’re all on 4th or 5th gen consoles) as we want to play split screen coop games which you can’t get these days. Progress doesn’t always go forward with the expense gadgets etc. Could be fun for the kids.

Daffy

PS4 is a better shout than PS3. My ten year old has access to both, but all his friends are using newer versions of games that just aren’t available on the PS3 – Minecraft for example.

PS4s also consume less power than PS3s if that’s something that bothers you.

PS4pro vs PS4 is utterly irrelevant for most things.

simon_g

Ours is still going well. Tons of great games including plenty of exclusives (uncharted, etc), can be picked up pretty cheap and the digital store regularly has sales on. Still have a 1080p TV so have never wanted for the Pro version.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Welcome to the world of Fortnite and the endless battles getting Jnr off the dam thing. It is addictive though and is free to download

Only thing to be aware on basic PS4 is that the disc space is not that big 3 maybe 4 games at most

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do I want to buy a PS4 (for my boy)?’ is closed to new replies.