Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Do i want an Xbox One s/x??
  • DrP

Looking at the post Xmas sales, they seem to be a few good bundle offers..

However, Argos via Ebay have the oneX with forza for £340…

I really like driving games, and would likely get the uprated burnout paradise (Microsoft store) for £6 too…

At the mo I’ve a 360.. lad likes playing destiny and driving games…

Now, I don’t really sit there thinking “ooh…this gameplay is awful” but… I’ve not really played a next gen console either.

Thoughts are:
    I’ll still need a second controller…
    My internetz isn’t that fast (about 6-10Meg) so is going to take weeks to download content..
    Do I really NEED it??

Thoughts!!

DrP

wrightyson
    Free Member

One s not one x, not worth the extra money imho.

rene59
    Free Member

I got an xbox one s and rdr2 when it came out. No regrets here, was worth it to me just for that one game alone.

Cougar

The One is a huge leap over the 360.

One X adds 4K gaming. If you don’t have a 4K TV (and have no plans to get one) then it’s pointless, you’re better off with the regular One / One S.

Forza Horizon is brilliant, one of the best racers out there IMHO.

simmoz
    Free Member

I had the same quandary recently. As I only have a 1080p tv decided to go for the one s.

The one x supposedly looks better at 1080p but not 100quid+ better.
    I’d say if you have or are soon to have a 4k tv then get the one x.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You’ve got to be owning a really big 4k tv to see the full difference is what I gather from a few mates. I had the choice last month of either and went for the one s, however I am a tight bastard.

DrP

Hmm.. I do have a 4k TV, so maybe the additional £130 for the x might be worth it??

DrP

EDIT – 40 incher… fnar…

DrP

and fortnight is free, right?

DrP

geex
    Free Member

For about the same money a PS4, Gran turismo and G29 wheel/pedals bundle should make you a very happy man. The online racing community and lobbies once you rank up (and find other users with the same ethos as you) creates very fair competitive racing.
    No need to buy a pro.
    I live in the middle of nowhere so can only get about 3meg internet. Fine for online play but big games can take a while to D/L. So just leave my PS4 in standby overnight if I’m D/L multiple games or something massive. it can be sceduled to update overnight too.
    PS+ is needed for online play. Essential for GT IMO.

I’m not an xbox hater or anything. the Xbox is the same thing really (both have awesome exclusive to the platform games). If it’s for your lad too you’ll need to buy whatever paltform all his mates are on

DrP

I have Xbox 360 and gold already, and have several older Xbox 360 games i can ‘port across’ so keen to stick Microsoft…..

Hmmm…

This is a huge case of want vs need…..

DrP

jointhedotz
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from the One to the One S due to my old one failing, the S also upscales to 4k and the difference is very noticeable (in Dragon Age Inquisition at least, I only got the S yesterday) so I’d say 4k=X isn’t the binary choice it seems.

Personally, I went S rather than X as it was half the price and we’re nearing the end of the current gen anyway.

Superficial
    Free Member

I bought an S just before Xmas for the reasons above. I had a 360 that hadn’t been used for a few years so I wasn’t looking to spend a lot.

Forza (Horizon 4) is awesome. I didn’t really think I liked racers but I’ve completely changed my mind. I bought the thing for RDR2 and COD Blackops, but I’ve spent more time in the bundled Forza than anything else. Coming down past cutthroat bridge before jumping over the Derwent Res damn is so cool. So you’ll enjoy that.

nickewen
    Free Member

I’m a big XBox and driving game fan. I’ve got the S and having just plumped for a nice 55” OLED telly I can’t imagine there is a step change to the X.. I would love to be proved wrong but the games (Forza 7 and Horizon 4) I’ve played so far look absolutely stunning on the new telly. I’m sure it’s better but not sure how much better it can get! (I have just come from a ~15 year old Panasonic plasma though..)

Also re. the racing wheel/pedal set, I would only go for these if you can get a proper seat too.. I got the playseat challenge (fancy foldaway deck chair affair) but being comfortable is the key to getting the most out of the wheel/pedals.

Just my two-penny worth. If you like driving games you’ll love Forza Horizon 4. Although I tend to use the controller on Horizon titles as it just doesn’t seem to get on with the wheel no matter what settings I plug in.

Go on – go and buy one! You know you want to!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from the One to the One S due to my old one failing, the S also upscales to 4k and the difference is very noticeable (in Dragon Age Inquisition at least, I only got the S yesterday) so I’d say 4k=X isn’t the binary choice it seem

I don’t think the S does 4K gaming, it plays 4K video media (but not well according to AV needs).

However RDR2 looks a lot better on my 4K TV than it does on my 1080HD TV, is HDR a thing in gaming?

DrP

righto…just went for the S… Click and collect at argos, with £30 off…

Think i’ll look into getting burnout paradise from the Microsoft store… and fortnight/minecraft too!!

I guess I COULD have got the X, but TBH, I don’t play it LOADS, wanted a 4k video streamer, and not sure the extra £160 is worth it for the X… (it’s twice the price, basically!)

DrP

bamboo
    Free Member

Can anybody with the S confirm if it does iPlayer etc in 4K? I’m tempted by one for my 4K tv, but I would be a casual gamer at best, so I’m not so fussed by 4K games. If it supported normal 4K tv though then that would be great.

DrP

By my understanding, it DOES films and streaming in 4k ‘proper’, and upscales the games. (the X does 4k proper)..

We sound in the same boat!

DrP

Cougar

I have Xbox 360 and gold already

Handy thing here, there’s a difference between Gold on the two consoles. On the 360, every player online needed a Gold sub; on the One you just need one account with Gold and anyone can play.

Also, a spoiler on upscaling: everything upscales. If it didn’t, you’d have a large black frame around a small display in the middle of your screen. Granted, some upscalers are better at it than others, but simply saying “it upscales!” is meaningless.

Oh, and, probably a bit late now, but FH4 is on Gamepass. £25 gets you FH4 and a bunch of other games for six months. If you remember Rollcage on the PS ages ago, check out Grip on there. It’s by the same people who made Rollcage and is basically Rollcage 3 in all but licence.

Alphabet

Damn this thread. I’m currently confined to resting all day from my heart op for the next few weeks. I was looking at the One X and RDR2 but decided on price not to bother. Now you’re all saying the One S is great I’m back to wondering again. And my young nephew asked me to get one earlier today so we can play Fortnite together. The problem is how much use would it get once I’m back on my feet? Decisions decisions…

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m currently watching Netflix in my lounge on a 1080 telly on a one s. To my untrained eye it looks damn good, my lounge is 4×4 ish metres big and my Samsung telly is 4 years old. I always find it’s a bit like when blokes want 10mm more travel etc etc

squirrelking
    Free Member

Grip eh? Need to check that out…

Yes HDR is a thing and yes the S does it with certain games, there’s a list somewhere. 60 fps is also a thing but I think that’s restricted to the X

Cougar

I’m back to wondering again

Get it bought. It’s Christmas. (-: RDR2 and FH4, that’s months of entertainment.

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve got a One S for sale, pretty much never used with the last battlefield. Email robowns at Hotmail dot com if you’re interested.

Rob

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Do i want an Xbox One s/x??’ is closed to new replies.