Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do I need a Castelli Alpha ROS 2 jacket?
  • four
    Free Member

It’s bloody cold out now and getting colder………

I have a new Perfetto and also a Perfetto gilet I can wear over the top – would a Castelli Alpha ROS 2 jacket be worth getting over my Perfetto jacket and gilet combination with a long sleeve merino?

Before I shell out close to £300 I’d like to know if the Castelli Alpha ROS 2 will bring anything better than my current set up?

Thanks

plop-pants
    Free Member

I recently bought an Alpha Ros 2 and it works for me in this weather. Definitely good down to zero degrees. I used to wear extra layers with my old assos winter jacket but only need a thermal t and a jersey under the Alpha Ros 2. But. It is a bit delicate. I have already had to get the sewing needle to it to fix broken stitching on the middle rear pocket and had to add some extra stitching to the sleeve cuffs to reinforce them as the threads were coming undone after wearing the cuffs over gloves (as they are designed to do.) Still glad I bought it though but it was made a bit more ‘affordable’ with a Strava challenge giving 25% off.

dovebiker

Gore Shakedry insulated for the ultimate winter jacket

benman
    Free Member

I just put more on underneath my Perfetto, otherwise you are spending £300 on something you can only wear for a handful of rides every year.
    A merino midlayer or armwarmers over my baselayer is enough addition for me to be riding sub zero days.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As above. I just wear extra layers under the Perfetto. My belly isn’t the bit that gets cold anyway, it’s my arms, which is the same on both jackets.

boardmanfs18

What temperature are you using yours down to ?

dthom3uk

Have a look at the Climb and Conquer jacket from Stolen Goat. It’s half the price.

footflaps

I have a Perfotto and the RoS jacket. The RoS is much warmer, I use it sub 8C whereas the Perfetto works well for me above 10C (mine is a very tight fit, so I can only fit the thinest base layer underneath it). The Wife has a Perfetto and uses it down to freezing, but she can fit thicker base layers under it.

The RoS is very nicely made, lots of thought gone into cuffs and stuff etc.

tonyg2003

I’ve got a couple of Perfetto/Gabba and an Alpha RoS. Riding to under zero this week and 1-2degrees today the Alpha RoS has been great. It’s quite a bit warmer than the Perfetto as said above, especially the arms which are much better insulated. You can layer up a Perfetto but it’s harder to stay as warm when it’s under about 5degrees.

four
    Free Member

Thanks all for your replies- much appreciated.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

It’s bloody cold out now and getting colder………

Like what? 0? -1? Always makes me laugh, when locals complain about how terribly cold it is…

That is cold, but not extreme…

Cheers!
    I.

ugarizza
    Free Member

I’m in the just put more layers on under what you have camp. Or get a fake down gilet.
    Reading this by Steve Abraham made me think more about what I need versus what marketing people want me to buy!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4551003765?utm_source=com.whatsapp&utm_medium=referral

dovebiker

What temperature are you using yours down to ?

Comfortable down to zero with just a thin base layer – it breathes very well, so I’d be happy to take it well below that with suitable under-layer.

IME too many layers doesn’t allow good wicking when working hard – the sweat condenses and gets trapped in the mid-layer which then gets cold / clammy. Also why I wouldn’t wear a Gabba in extreme temperatures – it simply doesn’t breathe well enough.

endoverend

It may be ultimate but just don’t ever fall off or catch it on a branch because then you have a great jacket with a great big hole in it…BTDT.

tonyg2003

Yep Shakedry is fragile. Definitely more of a road material than off road

benman
    Free Member

IME too many layers doesn’t allow good wicking when working hard – the sweat condenses and gets trapped in the mid-layer which then gets cold / clammy.

Not if all the layers are wicking. Like proper base and midlayers should.

Also why I wouldn’t wear a Gabba in extreme temperatures – it simply doesn’t breathe well enough

Lol. So Shakedry, a taped waterproof ePTFE is more breathable than an untaped non-waterproof ePTFE. Nah

And extreme cold actually improves the performance of membranes.

benman
    Free Member

OP, a Galibier Mistral is a bit warmer than a Perfetto, and won’t cost you £300. Obviously not quite as nice as the Alpha ROS though!

footflaps

Obviously not quite as nice as the Alpha ROS though!

Alpha RoS is lovely, really nice and cosy on a cold day!

four
    Free Member

Thanks chaps much appreciated.

TBH – with my Perfetto / Perfetto gilet combo I’ve decided I’m pretty much covered. I have an Endura jacket too and that was fine today in 2° (feels like -2°) with just a SS rash vest and LS merino base layer.

The Alpha looks good but the reality is I don’t need one.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I recently bought an Alpha RoS and it’s much warmer than my older layered perfetto option. I’ve been out this week with average temps of -3’c with lows of -6’c for 4+ hours and I’ve been very comfortable. I’ve just had a thin merino base layer underneath.

four
    Free Member

As the OP I thought I’d update this thread.

In the end I ordered a Alpha ROS 2 and it arrived today, below are my observations from owning both a Perfetto and now the Alpha.

The Alpha is NOTHING like the Perfetto – it’s a much thicker jacket entirely and double lined. It still has a ‘race type’ cut of the Perfetto but the similarities end there.

My impression so far:

Excellent quality
    Appears very warm and snug
    Great design

I’m pleased that I ordered the jacket, I’d have sent it back if I’d not liked it and it wasn’t significantly different to the Perfetto.

Is it like wearing a Perfetto with a Perfetto gilet – NO!

The Aplha should be the perfect cold weather winter jacket for me.

dovebiker

Lol. So Shakedry, a taped waterproof ePTFE is more breathable than an untaped non-waterproof ePTFE. Nah

Worn one then? I also have a Gabba, an Alpha ROS and a couple of jerseys akin to a Perfetto.

I’ve also spend a fair bit of time cycling at the kind of temperatures where your digits can freeze and fall-off.

footflaps

In the end I ordered a Alpha ROS 2 and it arrived today

You cracked in the end!

It’s a lovely jacket, so many nice finishing touches, cuffs, collar etc.

Was out in mine yesterday in the cold and rain, lovely and toasty inside it!

benman
    Free Member

@dovebiker

Worn one then?

Er… yeah. I design stuff made out of technical fabrics for a living. Worn Shakedry since the pre-production stage.

josemctavish
    Free Member

People can only speak of their own experience. I have both a Gabba and a Shakedry jacket and the Shakedry is far more pleasant and less clammy to wear on a rainy ride.

13thfloormonk

Yep Shakedry is fragile. Definitely more of a road material than off road

Also, cats have an unerring attraction to Shakedry so protect it with your life.

Of all the expensive/fancy clothes in the house, she will hunt down the Shakedry SPECIFICALLY to claw it, even when I thought I had tucked it safely away at the back of a drawer.

*she also clawed my Thermarest but I suspect only as collateral damage as it was just a comfy place to lie… 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a Castelli Alpha ROS 2 jacket?’ is closed to new replies.