Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DMR Trailstar frame/SS – opinions please for general XC duties
  • Vortexracing

Right gents, need a few opinions from the STW massive on this proposal.

At the moment I have a Commencal maxmax that only occasionally gets lifted off the wall and taken to the local BMX track for a play.

I have been considering building a SS potentially rigid bike for 1-1.5hr blasts around the village and local woods. Ie no messing with gears easy to clean.

The maxmax is currently SS and although is ideal for the BMX track is not really right for general riding.

I still want to keep occasionally visit the BMX track and dont fancy wrecking my Cotic Soul, so using that is a no no.

activesport on ebay have some DMR Trailstar frames for £100. Question is are these just another jump frame or are they also a decent general XC frame? I know they are a bit heavy, but it was more the geometry I was thinking of.

I was considering one of these swapping the stuff over from the maxmax. hat way i have a bike for buggering about on around the Village and woods but it’s strong enough for the odd trip to the BMX/Jump track.

Anybody got or had one and what are the opinions.

The 2nd thing is they are BMX BB, but you can get a ‘press in’ adapter (DMR Wonder cups) so you can run a std MTB BB. Are these OK and reliable? I have no experience, or even heard of them before.

sorry for so many questions but i’ve got this ‘build another bike bug’.

robidoo
    Free Member

Trailstars are sound for razzing round the woods and jump spots.
    In fact I have been out today doing just that with my mate who has had his singlespeed Trailstar for about 7 years and still loves it.
    I would’nt like to spend more than a couple of hours in the saddle on one though.

Not had any experience with the wonder cups but DMR do make some good reliable parts.
    Rob.

Vortexracing

cheers Rob

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they are very short, even my bmx has a longer TT.

I ended up running a 90mm stem to get enough reach, still jumped very well. look for one second hand, they dont seem to hold their value and get built up on a budget so could pick up a full build (with quite a few sketych bits probably) for not much more).

MrSparkle

My mate has had one for yonks and uses it for jumps and xc. Works ok for him. Do it!

Nico
    Free Member

Bloke at work rides one to work occasionally. 10 miles or so.

Vortexracing

I was thinking of the new one thisisnotaspoon, at £99 if I don’t like it i can always flog it on again.

Just wanted a few opinions on how much orientated to jumping the frame is as opposed to XC.

Also would still like to know about the DMR Wonder cups, which I must admit sounds like a good name for a bra! 🙂

I think the Trailstar is marketed as an all rounder rather than a dirt jump frame these days. If it’s the new “swapout” version for £99 I doubt you’ll find much better for that price.

The Wonder Cups simply reduce a US/BMX BB to Euro size so you can use a thread Euro BB. Not much else you need to know about them really.

Vortexracing

cheers Mike. and it’s not the swapout version, but it’s still a good deal at £99 IMHO

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DMR Trailstar frame/SS – opinions please for general XC duties’ is closed to new replies.