Home Forums Chat Forum DIY repair- cracked lens? (cycling spex)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY repair- cracked lens? (cycling spex)
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

I bought a pair of (used) sports glasses (swappable lenses) but when I changed the lens noticed some small hairline-cracks around the nosepiece area of the lens. Anyone know if it’s possible to repair polycarbonate lenses? Doesn’t need to be invisible just needs to be halted before gets any worse. WWSTWD?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Epoxy and drill a hole to stop the crack propagation.

Is my comedy advice

MrSparkle

Gaffer tape ftw.

fasthaggis

Billy Bob

It’s a strong look

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ 😱 How to drill holes that small with having a hand/dental drill? Also would need to hold in something? Bluetack? And cover area in some kind of tape before drilling? There are multiple cracks of varying sizes:

It’s a strong look

Haha I have form, as shortly after fixing Mrs P’s mine also went the same way. More epoxy than frame.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Gubbed.

timbog160
    Free Member

You can get araldite super clear which might be your best bet, or just wear them til they go completely – the cracks don’t look too bad and they may last a while if you don’t change lenses a lot?

Cougar

Can you replace the replaceable lens? I’m not quite sure as I’d be comfortable with repaired sports lenses being my primary eye contact.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Can you replace the replaceable lens?

Ideally not, would probably cost more than the specs cost me, even if available in the UK (Scott Spur) This is a cheap fix or scrap/write off to experience job. I have some Aldi/Lidl specials with replaceable lenses as a backup, they seem far less brittle at a glance.

I normally change lenses for day and night in summer months, so could use the clear lenses in these (they were ok) and the reflective lenses in the cheap ones.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY repair- cracked lens? (cycling spex)’ is closed to new replies.