Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DIY problem
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

The garage in my new house has a sink with running water. This would be very usefull except that there is no waste pipe plumbed in – the water just drains onto the floor!

It is a separate garage not near the house drains. I reckon I could manage to put a waste pipe in going through the wall of the garage to the same place the garage guttering drains – just onto some pebbles.

What I was wondering was – can I buy some sort of filtration contraption to get rid of any oil and particulates – perhaps storing the nasty’s in a container that I could periodically empty.

does such a contraption exist?

sharkbait
    Free Member

What I was wondering was – can I buy some sort of filtration contraption to get rid of any oil and particulates

Going by the book the sink waste should go into the foul drainage system – which sounds like it’s going to be tricky otherwise it would have been done already.
    You, obviously, don’t want any oil going straight into the ground so a soakaway may not be sufficient.

wrightyson
    Free Member

In theory yes. We put huge petrol/oil interceptors under the ground. However whether such a thin exists for DIY is another matter. If the garage is away from the main runs I presume it goes into a soak away?

jon1973
    Free Member

Why would someone go to the trouble of putting a sink in without plumbing in a waste pipe?

molgrips
    Free Member

How much use is it going to get? You could have it drain into a container and take that to the house when it’s full.

But really, what are you going to do in it? If you are looking to be scrubbing oily things, then get a parts washer. If you just want to wash your hands, do it in the house!

nickjb
    Free Member

Why would someone go to the trouble of putting a sink in without plumbing in a waste pipe?

If there was already an outside tap then it’s a couple of hours work, adding a drain might be a few days work. That said I’d still look to add a a proper connection to the mains drain. How far is it? Just pouring it straight into a soak-away is far from ideal

ndthornton
    Free Member

This is a very good question – I have no idea – It would have been no mean feat to get tap water over to the garage.

Perhaps I could just remember never to put anything nasty down the sink like oil?

I assume there is a soak away for the gutters but I dont know for certain- It definately doesnt pool anywhere when it rains.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve put a couple in for people in the past, they were used for filling kettles and hand washing in the workshop so they wanted a water supply. But drainage wasn’t available. They just used a plastic 25 litre waste drum underneath the sink trap and emptied it when needed.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Strangely there is an outside tap – that just empties onto the floor. I have it connected to a hose pipe fo cleaning the bikes.

My house is seperated from the garage and garden by an access road. Electric and water run under the road.

ndthornton
    Free Member

If you just want to wash your hands, do it in the house

But when I leave oily marks I get ear ache from ‘she who must be obeyed’.

Sounds like just a big container might be sufficient if not ideal.

In the long run I’d like to get a Fridge, fireplace, television in there and become completely self-sufficient – then I won’t have to go in the house at all 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve got a few 25litre and bigger containers with screw cap and the right size hole for a waste pipe if you want one.

Depends where you are obviously. (I’m York/Leeds)

molgrips
    Free Member

But when I leave oily marks I get ear ache from ‘she who must be obeyed’.

Do it without leaving oily marks then 🙂

ndthornton
    Free Member

nealglover

Thats very generous – I used to be in Leeds but now Im in Worcester – Doh

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DIY problem’ is closed to new replies.