• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by tonyd.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Diverge owners – thoughts please
  • tonyd

I’ve been contemplating a new road bike for a long time now, current is a Storck Scenario that I built in 2008. When out on long road rides I’ve always romanticised about diving off onto unexplored (by me) bridleways and single track so my current thinking is a gravel bike.

Diverge owners – are they a good compromise? Are you happy with your decision? I know this is subjective, but which model would you say represents the best balance between performance and price?

Most of my riding on this bike will almost certainly remain on road, I have an MTB. I’m pretty old these days so not that bothered about out and out speed, but it is nice to go fast so would rather not compromise too much.

Appreciate thoughts. I’ll probably still be contemplating for years yet, but you never know!

jam-bo

I spent about two years deciding to buy a gravel bike and then changing my mind.  Finally got a focus atlas in November and it’s great. Fast enough on the road, capable enough off road. there are loads of green lanes, BW’s and military roads on this side of Dartmoor  to make some really varied loops on stuff that I never rode on the mtb and couldn’t ride on the road bike.

Looked at the diverges but the atlas seemed better value for money.

jam-bo

Todays ride.

p7eaven
    Free Member

^Great pic.

I miss having a gravel bike.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I got a Diverge Elite E5 a couple of months ago. I didn’t particularly choose that bike or that model – I selected it because (a) it was in stock (b) it was my size and (c) it wasn’t too expensive as a gravel bike was an itch I had to scratch and I wasn’t sure whether I really wanted/needed one.

As I’ve only had it a short period of time, and because it’s winter, it’s not been dragged out on anything epic yet so I don’t yet know how capable it will be for longer rides but it seems pretty capable on what I’ve ridden so far, including some fun snowy singletrack night rides.

It’s a little lardy at 10.4 kg and I’ve yet to load it up, so I’ve not idea how it would be for long overnight bike packing trips (which is what I aim to do eventually).

Spec-wise, it’s stock (GRX-400 level) but I swapped the bars for something wider/more flared and wider (45mm, tubeless) Maxxis Rambler tyres.

dovebiker

I’ve had a Diverge for 18 months – the first of the carbon face lifted versions with bigger clearances / modified geometry. I was working in a Specialized dealer so grabbed one when they first came out – previously had 4 different CX/gravel type bikes in 20 years. The bike is very capable over most surfaces, whether riding rocky trails in the Cairngorms or descending the Lecht at 70kph. I used to ride down to Glenlivet on forest trails and Speyside Way, do a loop of the MTB trails and ride home again. I also have a pair of 40mm carbon rim wheels for ‘road’ use shod with 32mm Gravelking slicks. Mine is 1x and I have a 38 tooth oval chainring – I’d prefer a 2x if doing more road miles, just so there weren’t so many gaps in the gears and a lower crawler gear for long, steep off-road climbs. I think the Futureshock really helps judging by the work I see it doing.

footflaps

I’ve got a 2019 Diverge Sport with the 1st gen futureshock. It’s my road winter bike with 28mm GP5000s on it and now I’ve added some 40mm carbon wheels (the stock wheels were quite heavy). I’m quite happy riding it on BWs etc although it’s pretty interesting on 28mm slick tyres, certainly keeps you very focussed as you don’t have a lot of control over the front wheel when it’s muddy!

I can keep up with the fast riders on their summer bikes on group rides although it is harder to do so than on my lighter summer bike. The futureshock raises the handlebars quite a bit so you’re always in a higher position which means it’s less aero than a proper road bike.

I really like it, the clearance is massive and it’s very comfortable to ride.

I think the Futureshock really helps judging by the work I see it doing.

Yep, I always notice it moving up and down, but then I realise I ride the same roads on my super stiff summer road bike and don’t really notice the bumps any more or less…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mSmrqN]Specialized Diverge[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

fazzini

I’ve had 2 Diverges now and love both of them. Great on the road and plenty capable off road to an extent. Wish I could have afforded a future shock model but waay too spend at the time. I’ve got 43c panaracer Gravelking ss on mine at the moment as mainly used for commuting on road. Mine is a 2×10 Tiagra version.

cteagles

Love mine, went for the Comp carbon 2021 because of the 2x GRX which makes it pretty good on the road. Some light wheels and tyres would make it fly.

I think the base carbon one and some light wheels is probably a good option. Its never going to be quite as good as a road bike but for me its a perfect compromise.

kennyp
    Free Member

I looked at one a few years ago when looking for a gravel bike. The Diverge was a lovely bike but I didn’t buy one because it felt like a road bike that would be used off-road occasionally. I was looking for the opposite but sounds like it may be exactly what you are looking for.

slowoldman

OH and I got a couple of base model E5s (2×8 Claris, cable discs) coming up for 3 years ago. Fancied getting back into doing more road riding but also having the option of a bit of offroad in order to use some of the bridleways around here to avoid the busiest roads – and also because it’s a bit of fun.

We got the Diverges as end of stock items almost 50% off so they have been a relatively cheap introduction. We’ve been very happy how they perform both on and off road. Reliabilty has been good, just had BBs and headsets replaced at about 7500mls. Still original tyres though they do need changing – especially for offroad.

We too are “pretty old these days” and they are plenty fast enough. If I was looking to buy one now I would be looking at a minimum of the E5 with GRX400 or if funds allowed the carbon frame version with GRX810. Both 2x which I think is better for the road but with a good low gear too.

Although I do also wonder if I were to go for a new more expensive bike would I perhaps go for a Roubaix, or a Trek Domane, or a Mason, etc. etc.

mikeyp

Hugely capable bike, great winter road bike and off road too. You won’t regret buying one, biggest decision is whether to go 1x or 2x.

footflaps

Just had a look at the latest pricing, they’ve shot up in price! My carbon Sport model was only £2k!

fazzini

Just had a look at the latest pricing, they’ve shot up in price! My carbon Sport model was only £2k!

Indeed. The E5 Elite is just shy of £2k now. Bought mine in June 21 for a lot less, and from Bike24 when we could still do business with them

H-B

Great bikes, I love mine and it is very good on and off-road and comfortable for all day rides. To be fair I have not got a road bike to compare it to.

footflaps

and it is very good on and off-road and comfortable for all day rides.

To be fair, I’ve never owned a road or mountain bike which wasn’t comfortable for all day rides…

tonyd

Thanks for the replies all, very much appreciated and confirms that it probably ticks enough boxes to be a good option.

Slowoldman – that’s part of my dilemma (should I get something like a Roubaix instead)!

muddy@rseguy

OP:

Most of my riding on this bike will almost certainly remain on road

Get a decent gravel bike and you will rapidly discover that this opinion will change…They can go places wou wouldnt dare take a road bike and that on a mountain bike you would consider “boring”. Fast enough on road to get where youre going, fun enough on moderate trails to be interesting, awesome on poor/potholed/muddy winter lanes and comfy enough in most situations to be a real “swiss army knife” type bike.

A Roubaix with larger volume tyres would be very good too though, but TBH get a Diverge as its more burly and adaptable.

crosshair
    Free Member

I love my Diverge Comp Carbon. I held off for ages as wanted Di2 for that sort of money- not a lunch box hole in the frame and a bouncy stem.
    However after realising I wasn’t going to get anything else last year I took the plunge.
    It’s great! And the Pathfinder Pro’s just make it perfect. At 30psi it’s as confidence inspiring on light off road as my Scott spark. And at 60psi it’s quick enough for a group ride.

Highly recommended.

dickie
    Free Member

Wifes got a Roubaix, I’ve got a Domane, we’ve just got Diverge’s for gravel as we’d prefer not to take the road bikes off road. We have, & nothing to stop anyone but the Diverge is a lot better for it.

Tonyd – messaged you

tonyd

OK, saving pot initiated. Just need stock to start replenishing! Thanks all.

@dickie
    – got your message, very helpful and informative thanks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Diverge owners – thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.