Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Disc/rotor thickness
  • onehundredthidiot

I’ve got mt7s but the rotors have a little warp, enough to drag, which I felt I felt in the lakes at the weekend.

I’m thinking of putting hope floating rotors on (I likes the noises) but have read there is a thickness difference but can’t find the info.

Magura seem to be 2.0mm with a 1.8mm wear limit. Anyone know thickness of hopes? My Google ability is poor.

Andy-R

1.8mm +/- .05

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t you just bend them straight?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pair of long nose pliers and bend it straight again? Only takes a few minutes…

Even brand new rotors often need a tweak.

cookeaa

Rotor straightening is the only sensible use for an adjustable spanner.

onehundredthidiot

Erm yeah but shiny.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rotors get slightly bent all the time, checking them is as frequent a job as checking tyre pressures, nearly.

EccentricEllis

Please please please use the proper tool, they’re not expensive (circa £15) and you’ll use it a lot.
    As mentioned above sometimes even new ones need tweaking – transportation of fresh ones takes its toll.

brakes
    Free Member

Please please please use the proper tool

why? I don’t think this is an application where you need the proper too just because someone made one.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Long nose pliers here, since 1999…  No issues…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Considering the price, you think they’d make ones that were at least straight when they came from the factory

cookeaa

Well I never there really is a “proper tool

God bless park, they know how to separate people from their money don’t they…

onehundredthidiot

Ok so the wear limit on magura discs is 1.8mm and hope start at 1.8mm. Does this mean that hope discs are too thin? Will the pistons push out on a worn pad?

Andy-R

The wear limit is in relation to the rotor thickness, not the permissable excursion of the pistons. I thought that Maguras could be run right down to the backplate with no piston issues, like pretty much any disc brake. I would think that they have to be designed like this from a safety point of view anyway.

I doubt that 0.1mm per piston is going to change anything.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve always used my thumbs to straighten rotors.

belugabob
    Free Member

Well I never there really is a “proper tool

Unfortunately, there are lots of them – and a significant proportion seem to have driving licences 🙁

Stevet1
    Free Member

Rotors get slightly bent all the time, checking them is as frequent a job as checking tyre pressures, nearly.

Really? What are you doing? I think I have only had to true a disc once in my life?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

as above.  I’ve replaced one bent rotor in nearly 20 years of disc brake use.  Slightly out isn’t worth worrying about and trying to correct normally causes more problems than it solves IME.

ferrals
    Free Member

Never even thought about rotor thickness or checked mine – how often do you typically replace?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Minimum disk thickness is more to do with the structural integrity of the disk and its ability to dissipate heat that any caliper/pad issues.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Disc/rotor thickness’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM