Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Disc pads – How long do yours last and when do you change them?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve done probably about 200 miles on my bike from new and the stock Avid pads on the front now have less than about 1mm of pad left on them.

In fairness each ride I have done in that time has been a complete mud fest, and does involve about 2,500ft of decending each ride, but even so my old bikes Hayes lasted much longer….

When should I change them as well? Do you wait until they get down to nothing and carry a spare set with you, or change early?

dryroasted
    Free Member

I always manage to contaminate mine before they wear out, would love to see how long they could last

swg911
    Free Member

I’m a yorkshireman so leave them to the last minute :-)I check them before and after each ride and probably change when the are about 1mm. Always found that Hope pads last a lot longer than cheaper alternatives.

xiphon
    Free Member

3yrs for a set of OEM Juicy3 pads, with 203mm rotors each end. Astonished by them!

Only changed them last month….

On the DH bike, around 1yr or so, depending on use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I usualy change them at arround 0.5mm or when the lever starts to go funny (are the backing plates on some brands thinner than OEM? I swear my X2’s and my XTR’s used to go right down to the backing, but with superstar pads the lever pulls to the bar with about 0.5-1.0mm of pad left however well they’re bled?)

I cary spare pads as well, but 0.5mm is probably one middling to wet ride so not worth risking, and if it’s dry it gived the next pad chance to bed in rather than replacing them mid wet ride and using a whole set in a couple of hours.

atlaz
    Free Member

Change them when they need to be changed (usually have a couple of sets in my bag). Sometimes that is 1-2 rides in winter (Swinley is famous for destroying pads in the wet), sometimes its dozens of rides. I’ve given up trying to predict it and other than getting caught out at Cwmcarn (metal on metal on the DH wasn’t that fun) I usually catch them before it’s a problem.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So long I can’t remember how long they last. Avid brakes with cheapo pads in and 160mm rotors.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thousands of miles / a couple of years and I change them when worn down so the spring touches the disc

Onzadog
    Free Member

When the pad material is twice the thickness of the spring. That’s normally enough of a buffer to get me around most rides. Oddly enough, I’ve been ripping through organic hope pads on my rear v2. I’m not a brake dragger and didn’t have this issue on the previous brakes. Just swapped them for sintered and bedded them in. Seem just as strong as the organics.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got a couple of years out of some shimano ones (the brakes were in a box all that time as they were ****)

if your in the mud then they will go quicker, probably some organic ones on as OEM work better but dont last as long. Go to sintered

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Disc pads – How long do yours last and when do you change them?’ is closed to new replies.