Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which multi-tool with pliers?
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Looking at getting a multi-tool to compliment my bike tool. I want something with pliers and knife that’s not too big or heavy. Looking at these –

http://www.gerbergear.co.uk/Survival/Tools/Survival-Series-Compact-Multi-Tool_31-000750

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wingman

Anyone got these or recommend an alternative? Budget sub £40.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ve had an older version of THIS in regular use for the last 5 or 6 years. I don’t see the point of spending a fortune on a Leatherman even if they are nice.

Wally

squirt

MarkyG82

I have the gerber crucial. looks limiting but if im somewhere that requires more then I’m generally near a bike multi tool or stood next to my tool box. Plus the blade is huge and the carabiner (sp?) bit has a built in bottle opener 🙂

colournoise

I used to think like carlosg until my wife bought me a Leatherman Wave. Had various TRUE and other multitools but none of them feels as solid and well put together as the Leatherman.

YMMV.

slainte 🙂 rob

mrgoll
    Free Member

Both Gerber and Leatherman make some fantastic quality premium tools it has to be said.

Wally mentioned the Leatherman Squirt P4 – 57 grams, 57mm long!

Needed pliars out on the trail last week – co2 pump valve had rusted shut, 10 miles from home, 2 x co2 canisters and tubes – but no alternative pump. The walk of shame is bad news at my age!

A P4 is going on my wishlist for sure. Just hope the economy picks up. 😀

nickswolves
    Free Member

Will check out the squirt soon. Anymore recommendations from the morning crew?

br
    Free Member

I’ve had a Gerber for years now, still carry a CB10 multi-tool, and only needed it a couple of times – but if I’d not it, I’d have been stuffed.

Like all tools, the premium ones are just that, premium – lovely to use and look at, and tbh not really that expensive if bought as a ‘treat’.

This is mine:

http://www.gerbergear.co.uk/Industrial/Tools/MP600_47530

PaulD
    Free Member

Gerber Vise and a Topeak Hummer for me.

Vise is small but has pliers and a blade, Hummer has the rest covered.

PaulD

clubber
    Free Member

None of the above, just something like this which is good enough for emergency use and means not compromising the multitool.

http://www.justforcamping.co.uk/True-Utility-Mini-Stainless-Steel-Scabard-Multi-Tool_i10037

kiwijohn

Leatherman Skeletool. I use it every day at work. Just the essential tools; pliers, knife, screwdrivers & bottle opener.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The Squirt PS4 also has scissors which replace the awl on the P4
    Great bit of kit for light duty jobs-don’t expect to undo big screws or cut a tree down with it!Gerber Vise is pretty good too but no scissors

ntreid
    Free Member

+1 for the Skeletool. Got one for my brother for Christmas, I think £46 from the Amazon, and when it arrived it was so nice I almost kept it. The big benefit over other Leathermans (Leathermen?) is the blade – it’s a decent size. The whole thing is light as well, and can clip on the outside of a rucksack. If it had a 5 & 6mm Allen keys & a tyre lever, it would be the perfect trail tool.

Personally, I have a Leatherman Juice CS4. Have had it for about 10 years now, and it’s as fresh as the day I got it. Quality is outstanding, and also I find I use it more than any other tool for more things. Forget the 25-year warranty though, I can’t see it breaking in 100 years.

If I was in the market, I would probably get a Skeletool.

As for the OP, I wouldn’t want to recommend a specific tool, other than to say I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you go for a Leatherman of some description.

Speshpaul

Gerber over leatherman in my experience.
    Go for a bigger tool (suspension, 400) the pliers just work better and take some abuse.
    I’ve bent mech hangers straight with them you would struggle with a squirt/vice (which i also have.)
    Another useful thing with the bigger ones is the wire cutters, I’ve cut broken spokes off, and cut cables neatly.

nealy
    Free Member

Had a Gerber Suspension for a few years and would buy it again although I doubt it’ll ever need replacing, £21 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000EDPT9K/ref=asc_df_B000EDPT9K6983325?smid=A2DJ1KSVII9H6Z&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B000EDPT9K

nickswolves
    Free Member

This looks pretty decent at £35 http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wingman hmmm

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Victorinox Deluxe Tinker? Not the biggest set of pliers but handy for small stuff. Also comes with a decent phillips screwdriver.

arcoolc
    Free Member

Here you goThe ultimate boy’s shop 😀

Multitools are labelled pocket tools there.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Had a Gerber for over 10 years. Still prefer it to Leathermans. It’s never let me down and is still sharp. The pliers are great too.

chives
    Free Member

Gerber suspension – rubbish! I got one as a freebie from a bike mag in lieu of a bike specific multitool, and promptly bent both blades back beyond their designed limits simply trying to bear down & cut a plastic rawlplug to length. Sent it back to Silva UK (gerbers uk warranty bods) and got it replaced foc, but it’s a seriously flawed design. The locking mechanism compromises the blade stops. Shame, as the steel used takes a good edge. The saw wouldn’t rub through cheese though. I’ll stick with my swiss army knife, and crank bro’s multitool. 😕

nick3216
    Free Member

+1 for Leatherman Wave even if it is outside budget. 11 years old and going strong

nickswolves
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ve taken a punt on the Leatherman Wingman at £35. It’s decent size with spring loaded pliers and not too heavy. Will let you know what its like.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which multi-tool with pliers?’ is closed to new replies.