Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disc brake issue
  • z1ppy

Trying to sort some 2nd hand LX brakes for a m8, I’ve bleed them and filled em with new fluid, but there still not great.. they do work, but not as well as I’d expect (as my own disc brakes).
    Have cleaned the pads and sanded the top layer off, given the disc clean and roughed it over with some sandpaper…even tried another wheel, to see if the dsc was the issue.

Any other ideas?

coatesy
    Free Member

Once you’ve roughed the disc and pads, they will take a short while to bed back in to each other, this may be the problem.

jimleach
    Free Member

Contaminated pads or still got some air in them. How does the level feel compared to yours? and if you have sanded the pads have you given them chance to bed back in properly?

z1ppy

did try bedding them in, the feel is ok (not squidgy), but the performance is lacking.

zaskar
    Free Member

If the brake levers are pulling tight as yours and not spongey then it’s a pad or disc prob.

Clean the disc and pads then bed in. My LX bedded in seconds just on the driveway yet my XTR took ages!

Pads metal or resin?

Gamble-clean the disc and when dry try your pads or new pads? actually no don’t **** your pads too.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Also give the rotors a gentle sand to get rid of the high/low spots from the last pads

jimleach
    Free Member

Stupid question but does your mates have the same size rotors as yours?
    If your gonna buy new pads give these a go I have been using them for a couple of years now, I really rate them for the price.
    http://www.woollyhatshop.com/view_product.php?id=1746

z1ppy

yep same size rotors, if you mean 160mm, not sure about the width though.. this is an ‘old’ coda (4 arm) rotor being used with a newish set of M585 LX brakes.

jimleach
    Free Member

Have you checked non of the pistons are sticking? if not and your 100% sure all the air is out, Its probably the pads. They could be a different compound to yours or contaminated.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Find a big hill and get some heat into them.

IWH
    Free Member

Or it could be that the old Coda rotor is worn and / or very thin compared to what the Shimano should be working with.

z1ppy

it is a thought, but I also tried a wheel/rotor than I use with an XT brake.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake issue’ is closed to new replies.