Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 263 total)
  • Dirty Reiver 2023
  • gazza100

Anybody looking for an entry to DR? Mate is unable to go this year due to work commitments.

RichBowman

Kit question… does everyone really take all the required stuff (survival blanket, spare base layer etc…). I’ve planned to (backpack, but would prefer not to have to wear one) – and whenever I watch anything about the tide, there’s no way the riders are carrying what we’re being told to?

Or are people better at storage than me? 🤣

RichBowman

*caveat being that one should plan for the weather…

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes I have to date. Base layer doesn’t take much room, survival blanket is not much larger than a big credit card in its packet, 1.5l of water is a given and a whistle is easy around your neck and tucked down your jersey.
    The most annoying things is the two tubes and a coat. They’re pretty heavy/awkward.

I’m tempted to scrap all my co2 and tubeless repair gear and just take a good pump, two tubes and an old fashioned puncture repair kit.
    I can get even those to stick to the inside of a Pathfinder to mend a tubeless hole that won’t seal- it’s just whether the pump is good enough to seat a tyre.

Because whilst co2’s + valve and a tubeless kit are useful they’re technically doubling up as you still *have* to have the tubes anyway and I can’t bring myself to trust co2 with no pump (and a pump can cope with infinite punctures).

I’ll probably change my mind 50 times 🤣

alansd1980

I had planned to take virtually all the things. Don’t think I have a whistle but from experience of being on remote hills and the weather changing it’s not worth the risk. Plan on taking gore jacket and overshorts and some decent gloves.

On an event last year there were 2 stages which turned from 20-30 degrees to sleet in a matter of minutes. There were lots of people in shorts and SS tops getting brought off the mountains in the race directors car. Survival blankets were getting dished out and lots of blue lips. Not sure if I will take a handlebar bag or small camelbak but some extra layers are definitely coming with me.

benman
    Free Member

Only one innertube isn’t it…? I’ll be putting everything in a 4L saddle bag, and then just have a top tube bag for gels. That leaves my jersey pockets free in case I jettison arm warmers/gilet

crosshair
    Free Member

Oh yes, you’re right. I’ll still take 2 though.

Definitely taking a small bottle of chain lube this year too.
    Last year I used about 300ml of sugar water on it in order to make it back without ripping my ears off.

I also pushed lady who had snapped her chain towards the end and in return she used some of her water on my drivetrain. All without putting a foot down!
    That was quite a funny conversation 🤣

“Oh!!!- you want an actual push! Okay but I can’t put a foot down because I’ve set myself the challenge of finishing without stopping. But if you start yourself rolling I’ll see what I can do!” 🤣

I think she was a GB rider.

stumpy01

Just been having this kit dilemma myself.
    Current thinking is….

Saddle bag for tools and tubes.
    Frame bag for basically all the required kit – waterproof, spare thermal top, first aid kit etc.
    Fluids in either Camelbak bum bag with 1.5l reservoir or Camelbak Rogue rucksack with 2l reservoir.
    Bar bag with food, gels and phone. Ideally this would be in a top tube bag, but not enough standover height on my Camino.

I’m erring towards the rucksack, as it has more room to stash stuff like arm warmers or a pair of thin gloves to change into as it warms up. But, probably got enough wiggle room in frame bag if needed, so not sure. Got time to change my mind 5 times, still.

alansd1980

After all the helpful discussion last night I went out for a 5 hour on my xc bike and felt good. In Surrey so not lots of gravel but did a pretty lumpy Mtb ride with decent about of mud and 1500m of climbing in 70 km so about 25% more climbing per km than the reiver and lots of single track and slow moving terrain and felt good.

As someone pointed out, it looks like its either up or down on the route so being able to enjoy the downs with confidence will be worth quite a bit of time and really save on the arms and back compared to the skinny 35mm I can fit. I tend to get on the bars either side of the stem when on long drags so might try and grab some bar tape to wraps around the middle of the bar to give some different hand positions in comfort.

jonba
    Free Member

Kit really depends on the weather. If it looks bad, take plenty as bits of it are remote and it will be colder than the forecast suggests. IF the forecast looks good you will need less, just place to put stuff you take off after the first few hours when it warms up.

Last year I got everything in a 1L saddle bag,1L top tube bag and pockets but the forecast was good. Two tubes, hexus multi tool pump/co2 combo thing and a few odds and ends like cable ties in the saddle bag along with suvival blanket, whistle and what not. Waterproof in the pocket, phone, food. Top tube bag had mesh base layer, knitted gloves when they came off and a bit more food. Arm warmers went round my wrists.

IF it looks like we may get wet I may need to carry more – proper spare gloves and maybe a more substantial spare layer

crosshair
    Free Member

I attempted to settle the bike issue last night. Did a 40 min loop with a gravel climb, a couple of small muddy bits, a stretch of cycle path and a road section.
    The idea wasn’t to ride to power but just ride to how the bike made me feel. Loosely sticking to ‘all day pace’ and not 40min TT pace 🤣

I did the first lap on the gravel bike with the 47mm Pathfinders set to 25psi. The intention being to ride the mtb lap at 20psi.

I was trying to make a mental note of how it felt on each section.

….. then got home and found the MTB BB is knackered 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve ordered one so perhaps the test will get completed another day but for now the Diverge is the bike of choice.

stumpy01

Crosshair; it’s sometimes nice to have the decision made for you! 😀👍

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes for sure 😀

Broady
    Free Member

The eternal tyre choice question has reared its head for me, I have the option of leaving my current 45mm Maxxis Ramblers or popping some new 42mm Pathfinder Pros on. Reckon the slicker PF Pros will be worth fitting, despite being a bit heavier?

crosshair
    Free Member

Not sure I can handle the pressure of an express recommendation 🤣
    I’ve never ridden Ramblers but have enjoyed two dry DR’s on Pathfinders if that remotely helps 🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Well because it was short of the free postage amount anyway, I coughed up for next day delivery and the BB arrived. Even better, I knocked the old one out with some old alkathene pipe with a connector on the end (used that trick on my race bike before now) and then squeezed the new one in with my big G clamp 🤣

So the MTB is back in contention. I would go out now but it’s tipping down and I’ve just run a bath 🤣

Depending on what goes on with group rides this weekend, I may attempt a beefier back to back comparison of maybe 90 mins each.

alansd1980

I am having bike second thoughts!

Stupidly I compared speeds on segments ridden on my CX bike and my XC bike and on everything except real MTB trails it way much slower on my MTB. On climbs there is about a 10% difference and this is consistent across different length climbs and segments.

Back to my problem, the clearance is tight with 38, but I am not worried about stones getting stuck, the frame is Ti so unlikely to come off second best.

Going to copy crosshair and do a couple of side by side rides this week to see how things feel before deciding!

My wife has no interest in bikes and is sick of hearing about this!

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s an annoyingly tough decision 🤣👍🏻

The reason I’m not power-matching my test though is because it’s not really about whether the MTB is as fast on a 40 or even 90 minute blast.

My hunch is that in *hour* 7,8 and 9- the saving of billions of extra vibrations through the suspension and bigger tyres on the mtb will add up to a nicer day out.

The thing is, ten years ago, DR would have been a mtb marathon event if it existed. The few nutters riding it on cross bikes would have been considered niche 🤣

There’s more factors too. I may have to employ the bathroom scales and also consider that my Diverge has just been rebuilt by the bike shop whereas my mtb is ten years old!

What a pickle 🤯🤪 🤣🤣🤣🤣

RichBowman

Bugger – anyone seen the weather forecast? Was looking promising a couple of days ago, now not so much. I think I cursed it by changing tyres yesterday.

jonba
    Free Member

It looks fine on metoffice? Cloud and sun all week. Bit less sun by the weekend but likely to be dry, highs of 12C. Maybe a bit breezy.

Given this is Kielder in April and it could be snowing, 100mph winds, or biblical rain that looks pretty good?

RichBowman

😁

branes

The thing is, ten years ago, DR would have been a mtb marathon event if it existed. The few nutters riding it on cross bikes would have been considered niche 🤣

Indeed – the Kielder 100 last ran 11(?) years ago and shared at least some of the Reiver route I think, definitely the bit along the border river in the old route anyway.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s hard to avoid forest roads. Some of them were used. They were used in the kielder marathon series too.

The DR doesn’t touch any of the proper MTB stuff though.

There used to be a ride called the Bellingham Blast. Ran in around 2012. Used the Toll road and lakeside path. It was ahead of its time unfortunately. A gravel event before gravel events had been invented. Did that on a CX bike, some were on MTB, some hybrids and a few tourers.

crosshair
    Free Member

For sure. The point is more that XC mtb’s are still blooming good at long gravel rides 👌🏻

I remember seeing folk doing the Breacon Beast on a CX bike and I did Max Exposure on the SDW on a 2000 spec £200 Halfords GT that makes my current gravel bike look like an enduro bike 🤣

The weight itself may be a decider against a mtb but wider tyres and suspension are only a plus IMO.

alansd1980

I had entered the kielder 100 a while back but it was cancelled due to low numbers, maybe in 2013.

Then MTB I would have ridden back then only had 26 inch wheels so much much slower and less capable the my 29er and my cx bike will be not as capable for the real mtb terrain but much faster for everything else.

I am pretty sure I will try some fettling this week and manage to screw up one of the bikes so my decision will be made for me!

slowboydickie

I’m back/forth in my head whether to ride my rigid XC bike or gravel. Stack height is the same, and I’ve got a small aero handle for the MTB to get down low so I’m less concerned about aero. I’d say the MTB is comfier too.

On the website Rolling Resistance the 2.2 tyres I’ve got on the MTB have a lower watt penalty (15W vs 18W) than the 40c gravel tyres, and better puncture protection, and the MTB is overall slightly lighter.

So am I missing something or is it a no brainer?

crosshair
    Free Member

No brainer 👍🏻

crosshair
    Free Member

Okay so I just did the loop again. This makes it the least scientific comparison ever 🤣 The wind is in the opposite direction and the handful of muddy sections have dried out a bit.

As I rode- I realised the loop I devised is as favourable to the gravel bike as you can get. The worst off road is uphill where it’s a little lighter, the gravel is a hard packed multi-use footpath/cycle path that I regularly road bike along and the road section is quite quick in places.

Drumroll please! 🥁

The mtb was 1min50 faster! 34min12 v 36min02 🧐

Power was mtb 219w v gravel 214w but they’re different PM’s anyway.

I’ll try and make time to load them both up event-spec with tools and drink etc and see what the weight penalty is.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

You’re cutting it fine for the windtunnel test @crosshair;) Really interesting result. I suspect the difference in efficiency of each bike is within margins of error by the looks of it so comfort wins right? Or looks? Or frame mounting options? Or tyres….

I’ll be on a Nukeproof Digger, running 43mm 650B Gravelking SKs. Thankfully, I have no choice in the matter really! Did an 8 hour Lake District ride on it over Easter. It’ll do me.

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ve settled on the MTB. I’m not even going to spoil it by weighing them. I may just stick a spare gear cable in just in case but otherwise I think I’m decided.
    I have a pair of top tube bags for clothes and snacks and a big saddle bag for tools. One tube is cable tied to the bottle cage and the pump is in a holster.

Bazz

Well @RichBowman seems to have predicted a turn in weather, now not looking quite so good☹

Anyway it is what it is, finished my packing today, just need to pick up some food supplies tomorrow, looking forward to it now, not so much the drive from Sussex to Northumberland though. I’ll be camping in the overflow camping area with a red tent and battered silver Ford Fiesta, I’ll be on my own so if anyone fancies popping over to say hello I’ll happily get the kettle on 😀

This is the bike i’ll be on, if you see me riding also be nice to say Hi to anyone.

alansd1980

I will be arriving Friday about 5ish bazz and plan on camping the same place so will say hello.

Not 100% what bike to bring but likely my lynskey.

Been trying to post a picture but thus website makes it so hard

crosshair
    Free Member

Will stick a video up about my bike choice later once I’ve cleaned it 🤣 (And ridden it again one last time!).

Was thinking about strategy (yes I overthink everything if you are new here 🤣) and I think I’ve cracked it!

Last year, I used to ride to the chaingang for a couple of hours and then do the chaingang itself with 40 miles already in my legs. Knowing you have that big an effort to come means you automatically pace yourself.
    Then I was thinking about DR and how, the worst that can happen if you go TOO EASY in the first one or two hours is that you can then go harder in the last one or two hours.

So I’m going to pin my whole day on an attempt to do 300w for the last hour! An EXTREEEEEEEEME negative split 🤣
    That will include the super fun rollers on the Northern shore cycle path around the reservoir I guess (which I love riding anyhow). And should feel like a video game passing everyone who is knackered.
    In order to do that, I need to average no more than 210w for the entire rest of the day!!! And ideally I will keep my AP and NP really close! So that means likely winching up every climb in granny gear IN ZONE 2 if possible!

It’s gonna be almost impossible to execute I’m sure but that’s my plan anyway. If nothing else, it will be funny to see what my power ends up being in that final 60mins! (last year I did just 146w/216w np in the final hour 🤣 ).

weeksy

I think i’m wired slightly differently to people like you… even if i go easy in the first hour, that doesn’t mean i have more to give later on… Maybe that’s more in my head than reality, but it reallly seems like it.

crosshair
    Free Member

So, a) I don’t expect to be able to hit the target, it’s just a mental trick to make sure I don’t go too hard and b) you would notice it if you went easy enough. It’s all about glycogen sparing. Using as little as possible whilst riding and ramming in as much as you can as you go along 🍭 🍬 🥤 😀

There’s quite a clear dip at half way on last years HR trace. I basically ‘bonked’ and spent the rest of the day riding at fat-max wattage 🤣

Broady
    Free Member

Fingers crossed the rain isn’t an all day thing eh. Topped up the tubeless, lubed the chain, all good to go, quite looking forward to it despite the forecast. Just debating the outfit choice now, you guys braving shorts or going full leg?

weeksy

Crosshair has bought Ian Stannards TT aero suit 😀

Broady
    Free Member

Marginal gains, every second counts en route to the beer tent.

crosshair
    Free Member

Ian who 🤣

If it’s dry I’ll wear my speedsuit with the DR gilet on top to cancel out the aero gainz 🤣

If it’s raining I might try the Gabba jersey again.

Planning on bare legs at the minute.

claudie

I’m loving this thread and I’m not even doing the ride! Good luck to you all and looking forward to hearing all you stories from the other side!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 263 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.