Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Direct mount rear mech to regular mount adaptor
  • kayak23

I just bought a new 12 speed Shimano rear mech and shortly afterwards realised that it’s a ‘direct mount’ version and that I should take more time to read specs before hitting buy.

Rather than send it back and associated faffage, is there an adaptor anyone has used they can recommend?

I’ve got an old Goat link lying around somewhere that I used to use when extender chainrings were a thing. Is that essentially what the direct mount adaptor is?
    It was I think from a 10 speed, so not sure the geometry works on 12 speed?

Has anyone used an adaptor that works and they’d kindly link to?
    👊

sillyoldman

None of the 12 speed mechs are DM – you just need a standard hanger for your frame.
    The Shimano images show an 11 speed Shimano mech which is DM compatible with either a standard or DM hanger. 12 speed mechs don’t have the removable link and need a standard hanger.

kayak23

Oh really?
    So I don’t need any adaptor?
    I wonder where I got the direct mount thing from then?.🤔
    Man I’m tired… 😂

sillyoldman

If your frame hanger mounts the mech almost directly below the wheel axle, you don’t need anything.
    If your hanger mounts the mech behind and below the wheel axle, you need the standard hanger for your frame.

kayak23

Nice one cheers.
    I’m new to this 12 speed lark 👍

benpinnick

I wonder where I got the direct mount thing from then?.🤔

Its because shimano inexplicably call it a (the 12 speed mech) a Direct Attachment mech, where a normal person would just not call it anything that was close to the thing they used to do with almost the same name.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Direct mount rear mech to regular mount adaptor’ is closed to new replies.