Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Digital camera- NTSC vs PAL
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I know PAL is the UK standard for dvds, but what difference does it make on a camera?

Its Panasonic (this one)

I’ve just bought one and its NTSC- should I return it, and get the PAL version for £50 more?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Depends if you are taking pics in the uk or usa.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Both! Bought for a trip to Canada, but will be used in the UK too.

Cougar

Is this a genuine question or a test?

uplink
    Free Member

Never Twice the Same Colour

glenh
    Free Member

Is this a question from the 80s?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Pictures taken in canada will be NTSC, so even if they look fine there, they will be out of sync here. One thing to do might be to print them out when you are there, then photograph the printouts when you get back, so you have a PAL version too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t make a difference to the videos you take. PAL and NTSC are TV formats, the camera will take digital in neither format.

If it has a TV output this will be in one or other of the formats, but you can probably change it anyway. And your TV probably supports both.

druidh
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Pictures taken in canada will be NTSC, so even if they look fine there, they will be out of sync here. One thing tomdo might be to print them out whrn you are there, then photograph the printouts when you get back, so you have a PAL verion too.

Brilliant!

😆

scaredypants

Brilliant!

yeah, seems like a good idea but I got RSI from flicking A4 sheets over at 50 per second 🙁

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hah! No wonder, you should be interlacing them at 25Hz

TuckerUK
    Free Member

He tried, but it Hertz

rewski
    Free Member

Doesn’t make a difference to the videos you take.

I think it does, they have different frame rates and screen size so will flicker and look soft when scaled up. Spend even more and go HD – 720 or 1080 if you can stretch to it.

_tom_
    Free Member

As above the only difference will be if it takes video. NTSC is a different frame rate and frame size to PAL. PAL is better of course 😉

Cougar

He tried, but it Hertz

Chapeau. Seems we’re on the same wavelength.

_tom_
    Free Member

bump for more puns, don’t want this thread to sync.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it does, they have different frame rates and screen size so will flicker and look soft when scaled up.

Hmm.. I think the videos the camera takes will be simply frames of a certain size, which could be say 640×480 in low quality, at whatever frame rate. Only when you convert that to a TV output format do you need to choose PAL or NTSC and think about 50Hz vs 60Hz and so on. Those are TV formats only. If you record video to the memory card and play them on a computer, TV has nothing to do with it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, we can have more puns if you guys can bother your ass to post them

AlexSimon

According to the link in the OP, it’s “Full HD Movie recording in AVCHD and HDMI Compatibility”.
    So if you use that, the issue is moot anyway.

Even if you do use a lower res PAL/NTSC, as molgrips said, any modern TV will accept both quite happily. If your TV is HD, then it will be upscaling either anyway, so the difference will be negligible.

This thread’s quite progressive for STW 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Well, some of us are experts in this field.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, some of us are experts in this field.

Hmm.. well then I’d love to be educated – how can an mp4 video taken at 640×480 be in PAL or NTSC?

_tom_
    Free Member

It was a geeky pun 🙂 You sound awfully phased by this whole situation.

rewski
    Free Member

It’ll be fine if you use this setting 1280x 720 pixels, 30fps. I’d beef up the memory card though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh.. see I’m not enough of an expert to recognise that pun.. this whole thread’s going down the tube.

Drac

It’s interlaced with bad puns, I predict a resolution.

AlexSimon

The only time NTSC/PAL comes into the equation is if you use the composite video out direct to a TV set.

If you take the files off the SD card, then it’s moot and if you use HD over HDMI it’s moot.

There’s a chance it can do Standard Definition over HDMI, in which case NTSC/PAL might come up again. But I can’t think of an HDMI-equipped device that can’t happily accept either standard.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Digital camera- NTSC vs PAL’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM