Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Digital Camera £150-200?
  • crispo
    Free Member

My digital camera met its death this weekend! After 5 years of solid performances my trusty old Sony has met its death.

Now it’s only a few weeks until our wedding and then honeymoon do need to get a new ones sorted swiftly.

Can anyone recommend me a new digital camera for about £150-200? Ideally something with a decent optical zoom on it as thats something else I felt it was missing. Not too bothered about
    Gimmicks, just something to take some good quality snaps with. Helps if it takes good pictures in low light conditions too!

So what you got!?

AlexSimon

Long zoom and low light quality are polar opposites.
    So you will probably have to decide which is the priority.

Anything over 5x zoom and they tend to be compromised.

AlexSimon

If, however, you really want that zoom, these two might be worth considering:
    Canon SX230 HS
    Nikon S9100

(it’s possible they’ve been superceded, but that probably means they’ll be reasonably priced)

stumpy01

I’ve got a Nikon p300, which has been superseded at last once, maybe twice now.

It’s a decent camera with a 5x zoom and a fairly wide aperture when at the wide end of the zoom.

crispo
    Free Member

Well shows how much I know about cameras then!

Thanks for those two initial ideas, will do a bit of research into them this evening. Just want a solid performer to get the best of the honeymoon snaps.

Are bridge cameras worth considering?

AlexSimon

I’ve always thought them to be the worst of all worlds, but ymmv.

If you can go slightly bigger than the normal pocket cameras, then I would look at the Canon G range (G12 might just be in your budget).
    Otherwise you’d be better with an Olympus micro 4/3rds system.

stumpy01

Looks like the Nikon P310 has a newer model already – the P330, which is over your budget, but a quick look on Google shows a few places selling the P310 still for under £200.

Also consider the Canon S110 (or whatever the latest version of that is) and the Panasonic Lumix range always gets favourable reviews and some of them come with large zooms for such compact cameras…something like the TZ30…

Here’s a few pics from my P300…

13-04-02 DSCN3541 by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

13-01-04 DSCN2495 by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

13-01-05 DSCN2518 by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks stumpy, will have a look at what you’ve got, pics look really nice, especially that first one.

Looks like there is a few from all the main brands at around £180 with similar zooms and MP so will have a look for online reviews I think.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Ixus which was great. New ones look good for the money
    Ixus 510HS

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve always thought them to be the worst of all worlds

Bridge cameras are much better than normal compacts imo. And still smaller than m4/3 or similar. Or at least a more convenient shape.

tinsy
    Free Member

I know f all about Camera’s but when I was looking recently I got advised to spend a another £30 & that got me an entry level Cannon SLR.

Might be a bit of a bigger Camera than your looking for, but seems versatile for a numpty like me & has potential should you ever want to dabble with piccies a little more seriously.

crispo
    Free Member

Would it be possible to pick up an entry level DSLR for £250 then?

I don’t know much about cameras, just want to have the best pics possible from our trip!

DezB
    Free Member

New? I very much doubt it. Nikon D3100 is one of the cheapest (cheapest prices show body only, of course)
    Doesn’t sound like what you wanted in your OP anyway…

stumpy01

crispo – Member

I don’t know much about cameras, just want to have the best pics possible from our trip!

Don’t worry about the minute details of X camera v’s Y camera too much and whether an SLR will take better pics…..
    From your original post it sounds like you want a compact replacement for one that has broken.

Most compacts will do what you want. An SLR will potentially give you better picture quality, although if you will be viewing them on a computer screen or printing them out to put in an album then a compact will be fine. An SLR will give you better low-light performance but a decent compact will do fine in that regard too for most situations.

I bought the P300 as I found that my SLR was staying at home a lot of the time and I was missing shots. A lot of people freeze when faced with a ‘proper’ camera, where they are much more relaxed having their picture taken with a compact and certain situations where they won’t even notice you are taking pictures so you get much more natural results.

I’d say you want something that is compact so you are likely to have it with you. You will not carry a bulky camera around with you all the time and you will miss shots.
    Most compacts will fit the bill; it just comes down to individual features and which one you ‘get on with’ the most.
    Get along to somewhere like John Lewis where you can try a few out, tell them your budget and have a good play about with the different options; is the zoom good enough, can you find your way around the menu’s, are the buttons where you expect them to be, is it easy to grip the camera steadily etc. That’ll quickly get you an idea of what you want and what you don’t want.

Oh, and whatever you do get – spend 30 mins or so reading the manual. There will be numerous settings to help you get the best results in differing conditions and most of them do work and are there to get you a good result.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but where would people recommend as a good online resource for getting better photos, tips for getting the most out of your camera etc? I’ve just bought a refurbished Olympus E-PM1 and want to make sure I’m using it to the best of my and its ability.

molgrips
    Free Member

See camera thread from the other day. Nikon V1 and Olympus E-PL3 both ideal, and I’d far rather have either than a cheapo SLR.

where would people recommend as a good online resource for getting better photos, tips for getting the most out of your camera etc?

I got bought a book called something like Digital Photography Masterclass. It’s more in-depth than online stuff generally.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Digital Camera £150-200?’ is closed to new replies.