Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Dialled Bikes, what happened to them?
  • mogrim

This will allow me to design in other materials without soiling the good name of Dialled, cos we all know that steel is real

My Kobe’s quietly sobbing in the garage now. Snif.

Take her for a ride and thrash the pants of her, Mogrim. That’ll cheer her up 😉

It still makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I see photos of Kobes/read that people still love/cherish them almost 10 years after I designed them. It’s the frame that started this journey and without it none of the BMX/4X successes would have happened as it’s the frame sales that fund the team.

_tom_, the TT on the 16″ Alpine Ti (if it goes into production) will probably be increased, but the 18″ one probably doesn’t need it as it’s pretty much the same length as a 17″ Prince Albert.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Looking forward to see the new BMX range.

I don’t really see owning a Cotic as jumping on any bandwagon, nor Cotic jumping on a bandwagon themselves. They have great products, customer service and competitive prices. I like (as with Dialled) that you can speak to the designer. The new frames seem to be Cy’s take on MTB development rather than bandwagon jumping, there’s a lot of thought in the new Solaris and when Cotic try this hard at something they seem to get it right.

bellerophon
    Free Member

There’s still life in Dialled Bikes, and maybe this year I will stop gallivanting around the country with my team having fun racing and actually work on some more new product.

No need:

MOD: Image removed due to malware

thomthumb
    Free Member

Simple was one of the first pure singlespeeds
    2. Roadrat – nothing else like it for versatility. I would say he created a market here, not followed anyone else
    3. Hemlock’s adjustability and mismatched travel was one of the first of its type

erm. no. no. no. whilst they’re great bikes none of the above is true. 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Re bandwagon-following I also think the facts do not bear this out:
    1. Soul – the first hardcore hardtail with long toptube and short rear & stem to really take off. Simple was one of the first pure singlespeeds
    2. Roadrat – nothing else like it for versatility. I would say he created a market here, not followed anyone else
    3. Hemlock’s adjustability and mismatched travel was one of the first of its type

Our survey says:

mogrim

Take her for a ride and thrash the pants of her, Mogrim. That’ll cheer her up

She gets taken out weekly – she’s my only MTB!

newbey
    Free Member

I think the range and design are pretty spot on, and would love to own one. I had to buy a frame over the Christmas period, so the first two places I looked at were Dialled Biked and Cotic.

I think I might have to wait until I can afford one before looking there again, but I do plan on buying a PA in the future (I’ve got a large jar set aside for saving up for it already) as it looks beautiful.

prezet
    Free Member

Cotic and Dialled are 2 different models – Cotic is a full on business which Cy is trying to grow into new areas as there’s only so many Souls you can sell. Where Mike (as he states) runs Dialled as a hobby.

So to keep a business growing you need to diversify into other areas eventually like Cotic are doing with the 29’ers (although not my bag), and looks like they’re going into road bikes as they have a prototype doing rounds at the moment.

Dialled focuses far more on grass roots stuff with BMX and 4X, and Cotic focuses on it’s products. Both great companies, and am glad to have owned bikes from each.

Catflees, this is the newest Dialled Bikes BMX frame:

http://www.dialledbikes.com/press-release.php

If you’re referring to FTB, pick up a copy of 2024 BMX magazine, as they just did a 4 page test feature on the prototype frame.

soobalias
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    I reckon you should do a hardtail for messing about on, like a Trailstar but better.

sometimes ‘tongue in cheek’ doesnt translate well to text.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was being serious

Just went to DMR’s website to see what the Trailstar is about these days (I remember it being one of the first BSX/jump bikes back in the early Dirt mag days). Couldn’t find anything.

You can use most bikes for messing about on. Plenty of people use small Prince Alberts, Alpines or Holeshots for just razzin’ in the woods.

You have a BFE at the moment don’t you, David. I’d have thought that would be ideal.

richc
    Free Member

Anyone know whats happening re: the Ti Alpine?

ojom
    Free Member

Uh huh. They are both away being played with. 1 at STW and 1 with Steve The Butcher at Dirt.

When they have ridden them and offered feedback we will take things forward depending on what the outcome is.

No point rushin’ nuffin’.

eshershore
    Free Member

@mike-at-dialledbikes.

the trailstar has not been manufactured for a few seasons now

one of my buddies recently picked up a Trailstar frame for £50 thinking it would be a great all rounder for messing around at Woburn / Chicksands and winter trail rides at Swinley

but said the TTL, HA and BBH felt completely wrong compared to modern frames, and promptly sold it and bought a Stanton slackline

rOcKeTdOg

1st incarnation, still going strong

Dialled Bikes Prince Albert by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

subsequent

pa by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

julioflo
    Free Member

Arg would love to buld my pink Mk1 Prince Albert up again, but i’ve got a damn seattube corroded into the frame…..and now snapped off from my heavy handed faffing around with it to get it out. Have tried WD40 and bathing it in coke for weeks on end. Need to find someone with the correct size reamer!

wwaswas

I preferred it when you coudl ride it with the wheels on the ground r_d 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gotta say, I love myLove/Hate…

argyle
    Free Member

rode my PA yesterday and it were awesome. A lot of guff chatted there about Cotic inventing top tubes and single speeds!

ojom
    Free Member

rode my PA yesterday and it were awesome. A lot of guff chatted there about Cotic inventing top tubes and single speeds!

You know good and well that Gary Fisher invented the top tube!

argyle
    Free Member

exactly, thats why i know the cotic chat is nothing but LIES

ojom
    Free Member

Lucky we have that knowledge.

kelvin

Gary Fisher made top tubes longer (and stems shorter) and for that we should be eternally grateful.

argyle
    Free Member

Gary Fisher made INVENTED top tubes longer (and stems shorter) and for that we should be eternally grateful.

FIFY

soobalias
    Free Member

so we only need 30 T’alpines ordered.

there must be ten offers already and nobody knows much about or has test ridden the prototypes.

_tom_
    Free Member

but said the TTL, HA and BBH felt completely wrong compared to modern frames, and promptly sold it and bought a Stanton slackline

I can see the top tube length thing but the head angle on mine is about 67-68 (according to tiltmeter) and the BB a little bit higher than that of the BFe I had. Suppose the trailstar feels a bit livelier/less stable (has shorter chainstays for a start) and I think that’s why I like it more. Don’t like super stable slack things though, they can be a bit boring to ride.

RustySpanner

Please stop posting pictures of P.A’s.
    Especially the orange ones.

Ta.

chewkw
    Free Member

hhhmmmm … softgoods …. hhmmm …

Well found, Chewy. In addition to racing BMX and 4X, expanding and art directing the soft goods side of the brand has also been a distraction from designing new frames.

mugsys_m8

What has she got stuffed up the bottom of her t shirt?
    Is is a top secret cotic bmx frame in duraliminum or something?

Seriously though she’s got something up there right?

This wine’s rather nice..

rOcKeTdOg

Control tights

swavis

I love my PA, I don’t think I’d ever sell it

My Dialled PA @ the Ben Aigen viewpoint. by GavinBelton, on Flickr

On family duties,

MMBC Findhorn 005 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You have a BFE at the moment don’t you, David. I’d have thought that would be ideal.

Yes I do, its a 19″ so a touch to big for proper razzing about. I tend to do more XC stuff on it these days, although the times I have used it for jumps and downhill its felt decent.

Something more along the lines of that new Stanton frame, but made out of cheaper steel so it would come in around the £250 mark. I reckon you’d do it proud. Bit like a cross between the Holeshot & the Alpine.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

prezet
    Free Member

Something more along the lines of that new Stanton frame, but made out of cheaper steel so it would come in around the £250 mark. I reckon you’d do it proud. Bit like a cross between the Holeshot & the Alpine.

How about the NS Surge, specs aren’t that far off the mark from a Stanton, and a lot cheaper too.

I love my small BFe for general wood razzing duties – although miss my Holeshot.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I see Mike is thinking of doing another batch of 853 PAs. Looks like a good deal…so tempted.

al2000

A Holepine?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Bikes, what happened to them?’ is closed to new replies.