• This topic has 312 replies, 142 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 313 total)
  • Details in films that bug you
  • z1ppy

Pacific Treefrog go Rib-it rib-it, I’m sure I heard it was now a kind of tradition to use that sound effect

The whole lack of removal of bra in sex scenes (page 2 mentioned by DezB), is a particularly americanism, was pointed out to me many year ago by my brother..i’m sorry but if were going to bed, that’s coming off before her pants! (most of the time).. and who the hell put it back on “they wake and she’s wearing a bra”.. in bed!

PS: Watch “way of the gun” for a decent gun craft (or so it seems from my non-firearmed trained eye)

willard

Epicyclo Subscriber
    Willard

Same with Ipswich (Suffolk or Western Australian or Queensland?)

FIFY 🙂

In my defence, I was looking at a map of Australia that was upside down, so to me it looked like it was the west coast.

molgrips
    Free Member

The text overlay that announces where they are: such as Paris, France. As opposed to what? Paris,Tennessee?

Yes it’s standard in the US, and it also helps if you don’t know geography that well. My wife was actually a little annoyed that they don’t do this in British TV shows as you’re simply meant to know where everything is. And if you’re foreign or even just young then you might not.

Similar to the way people use middle initials in the US I suppose. On one (UK based) IT system we had a rule that you could only have a . in your name if you were American e.g. Donald J. Trump because that’s how they always do it.

nickc

Yeah, but when the film has the Eiffel Tower front and centre, then the text that reads Paris, France, is obviously redundant, or here are the Pyramids at Giza and the text reads, Cairo, Egypt , stop it.. If the action is taking place in Dog Bowl; South Nebraska, sure, knock your self out…Throw up the Lat and Long for good measure 🙂

Cougar

In the uk theres a batch of regular geographic telephone numbers set aside for film use so you can feature normal phone numbers for the city your drama is set in on screen without fear of smart arses phoning up some innocent. Weird its never occurred to the epicentre of movie production to have not considered that.

They can actually do this already.

The US phone number is [area code]-[exchange code]-[rest of number], but they don’t assign exchange codes that are the same as nearby area codes. So if your area code was 123 and your neighbouring area was 456, a film could safely use 123-456-7890 knowing that it was a fictional number.

Christ, I need a hobby.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you noticed how in every US TV show featuring an emergency, someone shouts out ‘Somebody call 911!’ as if people needed to be told? This is deliberate – it’s to make sure everyone knows the number and to drill into viewers that this is the first thing to do.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Have you noticed how in every US TV show featuring an emergency, someone shouts out ‘Somebody call 911!’ as if people needed to be told? This is deliberate – it’s to make sure everyone knows the number and to drill into viewers that this is the first thing to do.

Erm, I don’t want to leap on you for this, but as part of my First Aid training we were always told to make sure someone’s called 999.

If someone hurts themselves in a public place in front of 6 witnesses, you can almost be sure you’ll end up with 6 people standing wide-eyed and slack jawed saying “are you alright?” to someone unconscious. They’ll often want someone to tell them to call 999, because you don’t want to be that person who “gets carried away”. Shock/Panic is a funny thing.

DezB
    Free Member

This is deliberate – it’s to make sure everyone knows the number and to drill into viewers that this is the first thing to do.

So these are US audience only films?

Another thing – when someone goes into a strange building/house/warehouse and can instantly find their way around.
    And one thing that ruined a couple of films for me – people who can’t see beating people who can in a gun fight – “Heat” and “Silence of the Lambs” both have this as their final scenes. So stupid.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok fair point. But it’s always in the scene for the same reasons you say, because people need prompting to think about doing it. Literally no-one does it on their own in TV shows.

fooman

The text overlay that announces where they are: such as Paris, France. As opposed to what? Paris,Tennessee?

Paris, Texas. Quite well known in the US.

Paris, Texas.

ayjaydoubleyou

have you ever seen any sort of american viewer supplied video show – like “you’ve been framed”, although these days it’s just compilations on YouTube. It isn’t scripted, they actually talk like that. Most likely because they were all raised watching those TV shows you describe.

I may not be an expert on the sounds of engines or the practicalities of firearm combat, but obviously sped up car driving and guns that sound like an orange five on a black run when you change the angle they are pointing winds me up no end.

wordnumb
    Free Member

DezB sed> So these are US audience only films?

I believe 911 also works in the UK and several other countries. Never tried it myself but it’s reputed to divert to 999 after a brief sigh of disappointment.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

And one thing that ruined a couple of films for me – people who can’t see beating people who can in a gun fight – “Heat” and “Silence of the Lambs” both have this as their final scenes

In “Silence…” Clarice shoots at the sound of the gun being cocked. Lucky, but not impossible.
    As I’ve implied elsewhere go see any Fast&Furious film to reset your tolerance levels of slightly iffy film points. The dynamics of the safe being towed in F&F5 are a bit interesting to say the least. Could have screwed over Newton if he’d ever seen it.

IdleJon

In Fitzcarraldo (iirc) they are towing a cannon through the jungle and accidentally drop it into a ravine. It tumbles down a little before exploding. I never knew cast metal was so explodey!

DezB
    Free Member

In “Silence…” Clarice shoots at the sound of the gun being cocked. Lucky, but not impossible.

I know how it’s supposed to have bleedin worked… but it’s still effing stupid.

As I’ve implied elsewhere go see any Fast&Furious film to reset your tolerance levels of slightly iffy film points.

I’ve seen 2 of them, including Hobbs & Shaw, slightly under duress from a child, otherwise I wouldnt’ve have gone near them. Every minute is an insult to the intelligence and about as for from entertainment to me as watching The Commons Debates.

ps. you can go through every post in this thread and explain the plot devices, but these aren’t things that can be explained and people will go “Oh yeah! I didn’t realise dat!” – they’re details in films that bug people. Just to like, you know, mansplain a bit in return.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t get too upset if this part of Kent is really in Suffolk or that brand of coffee didn’t exist until 2 years after the events of the film, I guess it can be jarring for the tiny proportion of people who actually know it, but most don’t and it’s not always possible to close the Channel Tunnel for a week to film the latest mindless action film.

Things that do annoy me is the rank stupidity of some characters. Often you’ll see a small group of protagonists locked in the battle of their lives (literal or metaphorical) things are tense, it’s looking grim, when things look their worst one of them will causally mention that their nemesis is their Brother and they know their only weakness, usually after a few of their friends have died.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Period steam locomotives and trains are often all to piss and it really bothers me, especially as they’re owned and rented out by enthusiasts who will know it’s wrong. BR locomotive pre-nationalisation for example, locomotives and coaches from the wrong region, incorrect size of locomotive (although I’ll let that slide if it’s from the right period and in the correct livery). All of these grind my gears.

The Downton Abbey film might get my award for greatest film ever simply because the locomotive, coaches and even the line were appropriate for the setting and no one in the credits had their stupid nickname in quote marks in the middle of their name.

muddyground
    Free Member

Seeing as I just posted on the tip camera find…. Motor wind noises on digital cameras.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My 5D does make flappy mirror noises…

P-Jay
    Free Member

The entire plot of ‘this is 40’

The female lead is possible the most horrific person on film portrayed as a good person. She spends wildly on the ‘American Dream’ lifestyle (massive house, 2 very expensive cars, endless parties for kids etc).

Her browbeaten Husband’s only role in this is to provide the spends. Sadly his business is failing (no doubt to try to support the income he needs to keep her happy) but he’s too scared to tell her, when she finds out she hates him for it. He asks her if the business he set up for her (probably to keep her away from the shops) could turn a profit and she hates him for it.

She then contemplates an affair, but stops short because she’s pregnant, she hasn’t told her Husband yet.

The story should really have ended with her dying face down from an overdose after she leaves him to start a string of unhappy relationship with men looking for the next sucker who gives her the life she ‘deserves’ each partner becoming increasingly terrible as age/alcohol and drugs take her looks and mind, but it doesn’t.

Maybe it could end with them admitting that he’s a coward and she’s over-spending them into bankruptcy, she spends a few evenings arguing before finally working out their finances, make some stark choices, lose the cars, get a more modest home and rebuild their lifes, but that doesn’t happen either.

In the end they book a long weekend at a very expensive looking resort, decide it was his fault for not communicating and they ride off into the sunset because it’s all fixed now because he’s stopped giving his desperate Dad relatively small amounts of money (about a weeks worth of her spending at a guess).

There’s no sequel, but if there is a ‘this is 50’ it really should be about as much as light hearted rom-com as ‘nil by mouth’.

njee20
    Free Member

Period steam locomotives and trains are often all to piss and it really bothers me, especially as they’re owned and rented out by enthusiasts who will know it’s wrong. BR locomotive pre-nationalisation for example, locomotives and coaches from the wrong region, incorrect size of locomotive (although I’ll let that slide if it’s from the right period and in the correct livery). All of these grind my gears.

Just trains, full stop, are usually totally wrong as I’m sure you know. From the TGV in the Channel Tunnel in Mission Impossible to heritage lines deputising for some main line, with a knackered 47 and some mk1 coaches! Electrics on routes with no source of power, red lights on trains heading toward the camera, because the only shot they had was one going away. I don’t even get into the historical stuff with colours being wrong for different regions!

It’s amazing how often the sound of trains is wrong too. If a train goes da-dum-da-dum……da-dum-da-dum, it should end with a single da-dum.

More generally, and less anal, continuity errors are so annoying. Glasses on head… glasses on face… glasses on head again. All in 2 seconds. It’s not difficult FFS!

DezB
    Free Member

My 5D does make flappy mirror noises…

You’re doing it again 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

😊

muddyground
    Free Member

Continuity errors – just watch Deadwind. Snow, no snow, heavy snow, ice, no ice, fresh grass, melting snow, heavy snow, frozen lake, lake fine…. All in the same day, often scene to scene.

CountZero

it is the most powerful handgun in the world

Not even close.

Have a gander at the Pfeifer Zeliska .600 Nitro Express revolver.

When was that thing made, though…?

CountZero

Opening scene of American Warewolf in London.

“There wolf, there castle…”
    My coat? Why, thank you, I was just leaving…

Houns

American flags. I can imagine the whooping and hollering in the cinemas

CountZero

Re hacking. It also occurs to me that they don’t want realistic hacking portrayed as people might actually be able to learn from it. Likewise forensic science. I suspect there are deliberate mistakes in stuff like CSI to throw people off…

At least one school has banned the Harry Potter books from their library because they contain real spells to summon daemons, so by default the films must do as well, and I’m certain attempts have been made to ban those as well. Can’t have the kiddiewinkies summoning forth Satan and his minions, can we… 😈

theotherjonv

this might be an unpopular POV but bra’s on during bedroom athletics is a winner for me. I mean, I like bosoms but unless your partner is a 22 year old model, I’m afraid that untethered they rarely live up to packaged expectations. A bit like the serving suggestion on a tin of food. Whereas in a nice piece of well crafted underwear (not a greyed out overwashed M&S everyday) then you can join the dots in your imagination and never suffer the disappointment of a spaniels ears scenario.

(I’m acutely aware too that the reverse is true, and that I would be at my most alluring in a shroud, with a buttonfly. There’s a vision for you…….)

onehundredthidiot

Thermal imaging cameras that see through walls. No!!!
    The wall is cold or warm they’ll see the Temperature of the wall. The only way body heat will.be seen is if the body leans on the wall and conducts the heat through it but then it wouldn’t be live moving figures.

funkmasterp

Not really a detail, but I hate comedies that don’t go all in. East is East, bit of wife beating for the lolz. Planes, Trains and Automobiles, ha ha ha John Candy is emotionally ruined and can’t face going home. My sides are hurting.

Weekend at Bernie’s and Happy Gilmore nary a hint of seriousness. No left field emotional scenes or hint of realism. Much better.

shanghaibearings
    Free Member

Elder abuse side story in happy Gilmore was comedy gold 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Christ, I need a hobby.

Nah, there are far greater depths to plumb before you need to worry, the trainspotters have left you for dead.

Also it would appear that my missus is weird as she often leaves her bra on.

pondo

Happy Gilmore

“You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?” is still one of my favourite lines of anything ever. I know it’s not Shakespeare, but still…

sockpuppet

San Francisco, Córdoba, Argentina
    San Francisco, Pichilemu, Chile
    San Francisco Glacier, Chile
    San Francisco de Mostazal, Chile
    San Francisco, Antioquia, Colombia
    San Francisco, Cundinamarca, Colombia
    San Francisco, Putumayo, Colombia
    San Francisco de Dos Ríos District, San José Canton, Costa Rica
    San Francisco de Macorís, Dominican Republic
    San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador
    San Francisco, El Petén, Guatemala
    San Francisco Zapotitlán, Suchitepéquez, Guatemala
    San Francisco El Alto, Totonicapán, Guatemala
    San Francisco, Atlántida, Honduras
    San Francisco, Lempira, Honduras
    San Francisco de Opalaca, Honduras
    San Francisco de los Romo, Aguascalientes, Mexico
    San Francisco del Mezquital, Durango, Mexico
    San Francisco, Nayarit, Mexico
    San Francisco Cahuacúa, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Cajonos, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Chapulapa, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Chindúa, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco del Mar, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Huehuetlán, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Ixhuatán, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Jaltepetongo, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Lachigoló, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Logueche, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Nuxaño, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Ozolotepec, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Sola, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Telixtlahuaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Teopan, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Tlapancingo, Oaxaca, Mexico
    San Francisco Coacalco, State of Mexico, Mexico
    San Francisco Tetlanohcan, Tlaxcala, Mexico
    San Francisco de Campeche, Mexico
    San Francisco de Cuapa, Nicaragua
    San Francisco, Panamá, Panama
    San Francisco, Veraguas, Panama
    San Francisco, Agusan del Sur, Philippines
    San Francisco, Bohol, Philippines
    San Francisco, Cebu, Philippines
    San Francisco, Quezon, Philippines
    San Francisco, San Pablo, Philippines
    San Francisco, Southern Leyte, Philippines
    San Francisco, Surigao del Norte, Philippines
    San Francisco, Bilbao, Spain
    San Francisco Station, Madrid, Spain
    San Francisco, Colorado, United States
    San Francisco, Minnesota, United States
    San Francisco Peaks, Arizona, United States
    San Francisco volcanic field, Arizona, United States
    Mission San Francisco Solano, California, United States
    Mission San Francisco de Potano, Florida, United States
    San Francisco Plantation House, New Orleans, United States
    San Francisco, Puerto Rico, United States
    San Francisco de Yare, Miranda, Venezuela

So when you see a big, costal city on screen with steep streets, cable cars, “that” tall pointy skyscraper, and a label saying ‘San Francisco’…

…are you really suggesting your first thought is “I wonder where in Mexico they are?”

hols2
    Free Member

are you really suggesting your first thought is “I wonder where in Mexico they are?”

I was talking metaphorically.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Richard Ayoade has done one of them book things on the topic.

That whole bullshit American dream with teenagers living millionaires lifestyle in gigantic beach front houses, driving around in brand new sports cars, like it’s the norm and everyone’s doing it!

Glamorising/idolising/bigging up all parts of the legal profession (even the most tedious parts), police, state surveillance and secret services. The **** DA’s office!

Very few bald, fat, ugly (except when mocking or documentary) people in lead roles.

Baddies dressed in black/black leather/rubber usually Russian or Chinese.

Just in case you didn’t grasp the nerd is a nerd, glasses and bucked teeth. Or poor black, Mexican or losers.

Dealing with real life issues/mundanity via non-threatening cartoon animation.

Since when did all heroes have an office, admin team and corporate presence?!?!

There’s a message what could it be!

handybar
    Free Member

Titanic.
    The start, the middle, and the ending.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Titanic.

Also good for weeding out armchair sailors who don’t know the difference between the tiller and rudder system.

funkmasterp

Elder abuse side story in happy Gilmore was comedy gold 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 313 total)

The topic ‘Details in films that bug you’ is closed to new replies.