Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Desirable MTB's from the past?
  • s
    Free Member

Just a thought & for fun.

What would be on your list, mtb wise, that if you had a chance to buy again, what would you love to own?

Yo Eddy?
    Pace RC100?
    Specialized Rockhopper?
    Chopper?

Mine would be one of the first Ti Inbreds

Back then, my finger hovered over the bin button, when they were £499 manny years back & I have regretted not buying one ever since 😉

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes Kobi Ti (not sure if that’s spelt right….)

ton

a bontrager made bontrager

oxym0r0n

Posted this a year ago – here it is again –> I always wanted a Boulder Starship…

PS I have a friend with one of the first (I think) on-one ti’s – it’s still very nice 🙂

Northwind

I really wanted a Xizang. Chap at 10 Under the Ben had one but refused to believe I was old enough to have wanted one first time round, I liked him :mrgreen:

However I am quite open to the fact that old bikes were rubbish.

messiah
    Free Member

Nope. Been there and done that… retrobikes was a nice little project and the fun I had was in sourcing the parts and building the bike… the riding was dissapointing since modern bikes ride so much better IMHO.

neil853
    Free Member

GT RTS1, still remember the slogan, ‘the only thing that gets rocked is the pedal!’ ha ha awesome

bajsyckel

Amongst the only aluminium hardtails I’ve ever thought looked great were Chris Chance’s, the early Kleins and some of the factory Pace setups. Full sus wise, I remember Nico Vouilloz’s Sunns from the mid 1990’s seeming incredible. Never had the opportunity to own or ride any of them, and probably never will, but these would be mine as they are so unlike anything I’ve ever had (all steel rigid or hardtail).

neil853
    Free Member

Honda RNO1 too, just for the secrecy 😆

D0NK

Yo Eddy?
    Pace RC100?
    yep and yep, also
    San andreas
    GT LTS
    Santa cruz tazmon
    Turner burner
    inspired by mbuk? don’t know what you’re on about… 🙄

Oh and a sintesi bazooka in bomber orange

Pooley
    Free Member

I had a GT STS, loved it, always regretted moving it on, I’d buy it back in a flash.
    As above always hankered after a Xizang

neil853
    Free Member

I had an STS Lobo, still miss that too, however i do not miss the incesant squeeking! still, rose tinted glasses and all that 😆

Pieface

Hairychested
    Free Member

The gold steel Stumpy, the real Bontrager, the Mantra CF, the carbon Y Trek, the original Pace.
    And the lovely Ellsworth Dare please!

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Would love another one of these;

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=833960

My first propper mountain bike or ATB as they were then! 18 speed, U-brake, exage sis thumb shifter which you could turn the indexing off, biopace chainrings… Sadly some tool reversed their car over mine in a petrol station (who reverses away from a pump? 🙁

Or it’s replacement:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40728&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=4fe798e530f7c63af82bb73babfc5477

Absolutely loved that bike 😀

konaboy2275
    Free Member

My first full susser;

http://www.nordicshore.com/latestnews/index.php?entry=entry060912-135707

Was great until the plastic top cap on the forks exploded out shooting me in the neck on a 3 foot drop…

cookeaa

That’s a Hell of a Question;

-Alpinstars Al/Cro megas, I always liked the e-stay bikes for some reason…
    -Yo Eddy
    -Early Kliens
    -Always liked the look of the Lobo…
    -Giant ATX1 was a classic DH bike

However I am quite open to the fact that old bikes were rubbish.

While I agree to a certain extent, some were really great and still could be depending on how devout you are, you don’t absolutely have to build an old bike up with “Period” parts, a good frame built up with more modern components can still be a brilliant bike…

tang
    Free Member

early merlin shod in xt11 please.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fat City Cycles Fat Chance in Harlequin.

Cunningham Mantis or CR-7.

nicko74

I had an STS Lobo, still miss that too, however i do not miss the incesant squeeking! still, rose tinted glasses and all that

I wanted one, a lot. Funny to think you could buy it for under a grand back in the day.

Looking back now,
    Pace RC200
    Klein Mantra
    GT Zaskar in race colours

topgunsteve
    Free Member

konaboy – amazing, i saw one of those in keithley cycles when i was a nipper (shopping for my big bros bike Mairn muirwoods), never knew what it was. How far forward is the seat post, you’d almost be in the superman position!

40mpg

Overbury Pioneer

or original Saracen Kili Flyer but with bullmoose bars

donks
    Free Member

I had one of these in about 91-92 up until about 95 when it got stolen, pretty much rare a rocking horse stuff around my way.

mrmo
    Free Member

the red one is a Santa Cruz Race, and the white one a Wisconsin Privateer.

Would like a Racelite or a ti-lite but i suspect not many about anymore.

The race has rusted through on the seat tube in a couple of places 🙁

jedi

none, when i’m done with a bike i never want to own it again 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

40MPG – I had that model Kili, got many fond memories of it – but would probably hate riding it now. Just look at the stem, it’s like a broom handle!

No interest in old bikes generally. Too many interesting new ones out there!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Really liked the look of this plastic bike back in the late eighties/early nineties when it came out:

But always liked proper fat tubed bikes like Kleins and Cannondales. Got a Cannondale bike now which is close looks wise to those early superfat bikes. 🙂

wind-bag
    Free Member

Either a Specialized Epic Ultimate, carbon tubes and titanium lugs or an original Doug Brady built Manitou.

AD

Bontrager Race OR in red with white decals – first thing I bought with my first pay packet from my first proper job after finishing University in ’96.
    Still got the bike – it’s currently set up as a singlespeed and still makes me smile every time I ride it!

I’ve got a soft spot for Yo Eddy’s too – a friend of mine has a really nice one (although he has resisted the singlespeed option for some reason…)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wanted one at the time (But couldn’t afford it) and I still want one now – a 1991/2 Kona Explosif.

Twice I’ve ended up with a Cindercone though!

duckman

Sorry Elf,rode one,it was rubbish. Nishinki Alien or Vit T. OR 1989 Cindercone with splatter paintjob

jam-bo

I still regret selling my JMC era, S -works stumpjumper FSR. There is a size by side review with the modern version in what MTB this month.

I’m sure if I actually had it, I’d hate riding it.

z1ppy

from the recent past & obviously still available 2nd hand, the C’dale Prophet, why the **** did the discontinue it?

Muppets at the helm, s’like Marin old Mount Vision (not suggesting it’s a classic), why stop making it, then basically re-introduce it 4 years later? (new rift zone XC)

Edit: An apology to those who may find my post undesireable, I don’t desire anything from the long forgotten past, as I only started riding MTB’s 8 years ago…

noteeth
    Free Member

A Bontrager Ti.

I own two steel Bontrager Races – still my favourite bikes ever on fast singletrack. My built-up large Race is stuck firmly in the mid-90s, with threaded headset, 120 mm quill stem and flat bars. Super responsive inna RoTJ Endor forest moon speederbike stylee… but, it has to be said, not so comfortable for all-day riding on the Quantocks.

My medium ‘un, somewhere in New Mexico, autumn of ’99.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Canondale Raven

Or a Kona LavaDome:

I had a Lava Dome for a while, still got a rigid steel bike. Never owned a gorgeous, cutting-edge full-sus. 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

A Roberts. – ‘ The D.O.G.S. B.O.L.X.’

If only for the name!

saladdodger
    Free Member

I would of said my old steel S/works from 1995

But after being hung up for 7 years I rebuilt it and rode it last year, it was fugging horrable steered like a barge, canti’s did not appear to work (yes they were set up properly) and the head down arse up riding position hurt like hell.

No more mist eyed for me I sold it with no regrets

Retro = backward

xcstu
    Free Member

Klein ever time 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

Whooa! That Klein looks hot hot hot!
    Blue and Green should never be seen – except on old Kleins!
    Nice.

momo

I would love to have a ’93 Kona Hahanna, was my first proper mountainbike, was a christmas present from my parents when I was 13. Also always had a soft spot for the old elastomer sprung pro-flex bikes with girvin forks, when I first started riding my friends dad had one and I remember thinking it was the coolest thing going!

I wanted a Turner Burner from the second I first saw one in a magazine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Desirable MTB's from the past?’ is closed to new replies.