Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Deore m5100 B tension oddness
  • afrothunder88

Hi all,

Installing a Shimano M5100 Deore 11 Spd mech on my daughters build and the B tension seems way off. the current gap between the 42T cassette and jockey wheel in the largest cog is ~40mm whereas it should be about 5-6mm according to various videos?? The B tension screw is wound all the way out so it isn’t currently touching the stopper, winding it in any more moves the user jockey further away from the cassette?

The moveable bit of the stopper on the Mech is currently between the B tension screw and the hanger, which is as I think it should be? I’m missing something, but unsure what at the moment.

afrothunder88

Pics:

IMG_7513IMG_7514IMG_7515

bikerevivesheffield

It doesn’t work on cassettes with such small cogs, it is for a 51t biggest cog

afrothunder88

Ah, that’s annoying!

which version should I be looking for with a 42T cassette then?

mick_r

It will sort of work on smaller cassettes (I run a 46t ok, 42t might be pushing it). But what you do need is use a longer chain – enough to suit the 51t which isn’t actually there. Basically it uses the swing of the mech due to tensioning the chain to move the top jockey closer to the sprocket. If you look the top jockey wheel is a long way behind the top pivot, so the distance between jockey and cassette is massively changed by fore-aft cage angle.

ajantom

As above – mine was even a bit tricky setting up on a 46t cassette. Needed a fair bit extra length than I originally used.

Ask me why my chain has two quick links in 😁

afrothunder88

Hmmm, only have about 5 additional links spare but I’ll pop those in and see if it makes a difference.

She really needs another growth spurt to be comfortable on it anyways so not in a massive rush.

Cheers all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM