Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dented alloy – replace or repair?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Looks like the bald spot on the wifes car is due to a dent in the inner rim. Replacement is £150+ (and tyre on top).

Googling tells me there are companies that can repair alloys. Anyone had this done? Any horror stories?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Had mine done by a local company to me in Lowestoft been fine four years on after I curbed by wheels cost £75 a wheel to have the big gauges filled and machined back can’t even tell it’s been done.

v8ninety

Repairing alloys can result in very good results. I’ve had a rim repaired that I’d walloped up an oversize kerb and well and truly broken in an old Land Rover. I was sceptical that it could be repaired, but I had no choice as I couldn’t find any similar wheels anywhere. Result was perfect; in fact the only problem was that it looked so good that it showed the other wheels up!

jimjam
    Free Member

I had one of my Subaru ones done, had a flat spot. I think it was £45 or £50. Great job. Depends on the extent of the damage obviously. The guy who did the repair said that OEM wheels were generally much better to work on and yielded better results as they used higher grades of alloy than after market wheels (with a few high end exceptions) which were more prone to cracking when worked on.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had a quote for one of mine when I clouted one of Londons finest granite kerbs on the inside rear, damn the thing…

£180 for repair and the tyres just a swap off/on.

Bit steep I think, don’t you?

DT78
    Free Member

Might give it a go then it is noticeably flat when you look from the inside of the wheel no gouges though. According to mot place it’s been like it for sometime so tyre has a bald patch. Any recommendations for places in soton?

jimjam
    Free Member

bikebouy

£180 for repair and the tyres just a swap off/on.

Bit steep I think, don’t you?

Not if you drive a Ferrari ❓

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. nope sure ain’t.. 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dented alloy – replace or repair?’ is closed to new replies.