Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dent in a non-drive carbon seat stay
  • georgev
    Free Member

Hiya folks, had a little accident with my XC bike the other day. I leaned it against a wall and a strong wind gust knocked it to the ground and the frame hit a rock. I now have a chip/dent on the non-drive seat stay about 1 sq. mm. and maybe 0.5mm at its deepest. How concerned should I be with this ? I’ve heard carbon cracks propagate, but mine isn’t really a crack and the seat stays are being compressed when ridden (not bending). I’ve done the coin tapping along the seat stay and also compared the noise with the other seat stay – I cant hear any dullness, nor does the seat stay creak or bend when I apply pressure at the dent. Would love to hear your opinions – is this amenable with a little epoxy resin or do I need to get it professionally repaired? Pics here – https://imgur.com/a/gCVTd3p

lovewookie

looks like it’s gone through some of the layers there. I’d be looking at a repair as you can’t be sure what it’s like inside.

joebristol

I’d get that repaired professionally I think. Looks more than just paint / top resin coat damage to me (not a carbon expert though).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Looks like it’s been shot with a pellet gun.

I’d fill it, cover it with a sticker and forget about it until it catastrophically reminded me of it’s presence.

I’m not a carbon expert.

33tango

I Am Not A Carbon Fibre Repair Person (IANACFRP) but I think I’d crack on with that. I think it visually looks much worse than it structurally is.

finbar
    Free Member

I patched a chainstay that looked worse than that with one of those carbon repair sheets from eBay. Looked even worse when I’d finished but it’s been fine 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it was just the top layer chipped off as seen to the right of your first pic, I’d be fine with it.

Given the deeper damage shown to the left, I’d be sending it away for proper assesment/repair.

BearBack
    Free Member

Yep, needs repair.

dovebiker

I’ve done lots of DIY repairs, but not sure I’d be happy to do that – there could be delamination underneath and damaged material needs to be cut back to solid and the edges cleaned-off to prevent crack propagation.

monkeyboyjc

I’d be happy to do a home repair and not bother repainting….but otherwise send it off for a professional to do…..

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve cartwheeled carbon bikes down rocky trails and not done damage like that, what brand is it?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dent in a non-drive carbon seat stay’ is closed to new replies.