• This topic has 58 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Deeply dull question for the HiveMind – Suitcases
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I need to replace my beloved old Samsonite bag. It’s hard a hard ten years or so of flying, and is starting to fall apart. 🙁

The closest equivalent seems to be this,

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/pro-dlx-4-upright-strict-cabin-55cm-black/58988-1041.html?cgid=promotions-uk#prefn1=customProductModel&prefv1=Upright+(2+wheels)&start=3&cgid=promotions-uk

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Needs to be,

2 wheeled

Cabin size (just!) for main airlines (BA, AA, CX, DL etc)

Tough. Last one lasted over ten years.

Suggestions, anyone?

(Awaits DD’s input…. 😉 )

maccruiskeen

Tough.

Auer – the plastic crate people – have started to branch out into case and tool box products  – they have a range of stuff that give’s Festool / Tanos a run for its money for tool boxes and a range of travel cases that look aimed at the Pelicase market (the sort of luggage wildlife camera crews travel with) and includes wheelie suit case jobbers.

Everything they make is extremely tough and cleverly thought out and it makes absolutely no sense that it costs as little as it does. You order direct from the factory in Germany and stuff takes a little time to arrive as even though their minimum order is 1 stuff tends to be manufactured to order.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Suitcase ??

I leave a change of clothing at my properties around the world…. thought everyone did ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@maccruiskeen, thanks, but perhaps a little too ‘industrial! Should have added that it needs to look smart enough to occasionally be wheeled in to a meeting en route to an airport, something my loony tunes big red Osprey rather fails at!

Nico
    Free Member

CFH's suitcase

richardk
    Free Member

The only other brands that I see as much as Samsonite are Tumi and Victorinox.  My Samsonites last an average of 10 years, and given their price vs the Tumi and Victorinox I won’t be looking elsewhere

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Douchebag

take that as you will

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m 4 years in with my large evoc, the small cabin bag one was on my list, might be available in black, solid wheels and well thought out, Rich the Silverfish has them (wonders if he has his name on a google alert for here)

https://www.evocsports.com/products/bags/terminal-bag-40l-20l

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whatever wilkos sell for about 30 quid.

Drac

Aldi have some in just now.

Houns

Db +1

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m deeply disappointed that the OP doesn’t have a handmade Tiger skin suitcase that he shot himself.

Standards are falling.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Plan to get a Patagucci one on my next trip stateside. Love my laptop bag, and the lifetime guarantee and eco credentials tick my middle-class vegetarian do-gooder boxes.

Edit: those Auer ones look awesome.

bakey

My Osprey Ozone has lasted 2 years of weekly flights with minimal wear and tear.

https://www.surfdome.com/osprey_luggage_-_osprey_ozone_36_hand_luggage_-_black-221652

benp1

Holdalls are where it’s at. Haven’t used a suitcase in years, at least 15 I’d say

Easier to carry and lob in the car, not so easy to drag along but easy in a trolley and then I tend to lob them on my back/shoulder

Last family trip to Lapland I took 6 holdalls (4 North Face, 1 Osprey, 1 folding Skypak one

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I try to get by with hand luggage all  the time so go for 2 criteria – lightweight – the lighter the case the more stuff you can take – some of these hard case/heavy duty cases are ridiculously heavy and you simply don’t need the robustness for hand luggage. Also they have crap internal volume due to the more heavy duty nature of the exterior shell.

I like external pockets especially for laptops as you’re always wanting to access stuff and I don’t want to be always opening the main part of the case to get stuff in and out especially when you’re in a queue at security and having to fish your laptop out of your main case.

Currently I’m sporting an IT case that claims to be the worlds lightest case in the world. It is certainly lightweight and plenty spacious with plenty of external pockets and an external laptop pouch so really convenient for security. Can easily do a week long work trip with it without having to employ the British army method of getting 4 days out of a pair of undies.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Last family trip to Lapland I took 6 holdalls

**** me, Santa’s on STW!!!!

DrJ

you simply don’t need the robustness for hand luggage

You’d have thought so, but recently I’ve got tired of people with rigid luggage ramming it into the locker on the assumption that if they apply enough force they can grind down my backpack to zero volume, having reduced my glasses, camera, easter eggs etc to dust 🙁

lunge

Eastpak is who I would be looking at, reasonably smart and very durable. They also have a lifetime warranty so if they do break, they’ll repair it for free. We had 1 where the inside zip came apart, mainly due to me trying to fit 2 weeks of skiing stuff including boots, into a cabin bag. It was repaired without question and was done very quickly.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…without having to employ the British army method of getting 4 days out of a pair of undies.

Only 4? Which reg were you in?

shinton
    Free Member

+1 for Eastpak.

Cletus

I would stick with Samsonite but go with a four wheel version – so much easier to move around than two wheels.

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/pro-dlx-5-spinner-expandable-55cm–black/106371-1041.html?cgid=SAMS080#start=14&cgid=SAMS080

AD

Another Osprey Ozone user here – tough and lightweight. Also has a neat little pocket on top for putting stuff like your toiletry bag in thereby reducing faff when you need to find it when going through security…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Superhans

That said – Dakine Cabin Roller is worth a look

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a four wheel version

Ever see aircrew with four wheelers? Nope, all two wheeled. Stronger.

The Osprey and Patagucci look like interesting alternatives, will have a closer look.

CHB

That Samsonite looks good and similar to what I have (but from another well known brand). For cabin luggage I think a polypropylene shell case with a fabric skin (ie like mine and the Samsonite) are the perfect balance of toughness, protection and lightweight. I too prefer the two wheeled option and frankly, this being STW, I would have expected a bit more enthusiasm for 2 wheels over 4.

(PS I do occasionally look lustily at Rimowa, but then common sense take over and I have a word with myself).

jam-bo

I’m done with wheels. My next bag will be a soft hold-all black hole or similar

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

another well known brand

?

Rimowa is like using a Mont Blanc pen. Very “LOOK AT ME”

CHB

The other well known brand is “Antler”…had to run upstairs to check! Around 10 years of semi regular flights and trips and still wearing well. Protects my Lamy pen nicely 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

My Tesco bag for life has a Bic biro in it

batfink
    Free Member

+1 for Antler – equivalent to samsonite IMO, and you can always get them at TK Max for peanuts.

I have a hardshell carry-on, it is heavy, but I can keep my suit carefully folded in one half, so it arrives in a decent state at the other end.

Spotted this the other day – looks good:  https://huckberry.com/store/rocky-mountain-underground/category/p/53193-brfcs-35l

CHB

My Tesco bag for life has a Bic biro in it.

Name dropping “Tesco” and “Bic”. Bit of a brand snob are we. (Saunters off with generic biro nicked from a betting shop inside a fake charity collection bag). 🙂

hot_fiat

Wagon wheels for carry-ons! Actually makes a lot of sense & would do away with the clatter-clatter-clatter of regular bags.

https://uk.g-ro.com//

Holdalls are great for family trips & we have a fleet of them, but for regular flying a bombproof carry-on makes a lot of sense. Particularly if you have to travel to the US, where even the sodding airport trolleys are privatised.

globalti
    Free Member

After 35 years of export travel around Africa I can tell you that there are only two brands of case that I will buy: Samsonite and Delsey.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Name dropping “Tesco” and “Bic”. Bit of a brand snob are we.

We have standards to uphold. We’re not uncouth savages.

footflaps

Wagon wheels for carry-ons! Actually makes a lot of sense & would do away with the clatter-clatter-clatter of regular bags.

Nice design, but not cheap!

seadog101

Another +1 for Eastpak.

Tough as anything I’ve yet to find, with top line guaranties.  Tanverz S or XS are perfect cabin size.

My XS has been back and forth with me on and of the ship and offahore helicopters for 4 years or more now.  Some signs of wear and tear on the wheels and corner protectors.

I’d use a Tranverz S preferably to give a bit more stuffage, but we fly with some tiny little airlines in the Caribbean, and their ‘cabin size’ is a bit smaller than everybody elses!

atlaz
    Free Member

For an overpriced yet cycling related one, get one of these:

footflaps

For an overpriced yet cycling related one, get one of these:

I’m waiting for the Rapha version at £850 for a 30l hold all with a dash of pink cloth stapled to one corner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Deeply dull question for the HiveMind – Suitcases’ is closed to new replies.