• This topic has 58 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Deeply dull question for the HiveMind – Suitcases
  • Cougar

Currently I’m sporting an IT case that claims to be the worlds lightest case in the world.

Coincidentally, I spotted these yesterday in Matalan.  (Don’t judge me, I was collecting a DPD delivery.)  Looked decent enough and given that it’s Matalan I expect they were pretty heavily discounted.

ElShalimo

@Flashy – what did you get?

My old bag is on its last legs. I’m looking for cabin size but robust enough to handle baggage handlers and being dragged 2km across town.

DrJ

Rimowa is like using a Mont Blanc pen. Very “LOOK AT ME”

Yep. Nice though – especially when you get a few explorer-credible dings in the aluminium 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Still haven’t replaced it! Apart from one, all my trips since this have been long haul and I’ve ben using my big Osprey. Had one short hail, but that was to Toulouse for lunch, so didn’t need a bag.

tjagain

Rucsac! I have no idea why anyone uses suitcases in this day and age. rucsacs are much easier!
    I use a berghaus 30l for cabin luggage

ElShalimo

@tj – rucsacs are great but when heavy, they ruin your suit and arriving at a meeting with a sweaty back and crumpled suit doesn’t look great.

You never get a second chance to create a first impression. For our clients, especially in the financial hubs of Europe, appearance is important (I know it’s very shallow but relevant in my industry).

tjagain

🙂 I was only teasing really. I’d love to see CFH in his gucci loafers and pinstipe suit with a rucsac on his back!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gucci loafers?

Outside. Now.

😀

ElShalimo

Does anyone have a robust 2 wheeler that they can recommend?

The evil cobbles of Zürich broke my old bag last week resulting in a sweaty walk across town.

prettygreenparrot

When I figured I needed a cabin bag I got this. Simple, rigid, and easy to roll and move. I’m hoping it’ll be as robust as my Samsonite hold bag. https://www.johnlewis.com/samsonite-s’cure-4-wheel-55cm-cabin-suitcase/p387724

mrsheen
    Free Member

Been using a bulletproof ParmeBe Marque with no issues for the last few years from a wee place in the Cotswolds. Handmade and tailored to the customer’s height and stride means a waiting list. The maker is pushing 80 and a bit of a grumpy sort but his products are extraordinary.

Caher

Looking for one too. But is a cabin bag big enough for a 3 day trip,as I’m getting fed up with the long waits at the baggage dump?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’ve used that Samsonite case for the last 5 years or so, with some hard use (c70 long haul flights/year, plus connecting short haul flights). Generally in the cabin, sometimes checked in.
    It’s fine, just fits into the BA gauge, has expanding zipper if required, wheels fine etc. Usual weak points are zips if bag overloaded.
    Mine was a replacement for a Tumi with a failed zip – quote for new zip was almost as much as the Samsonite.

Kryton57

I would stick with Samsonite but go with a four wheel version – so much easier to move around than two wheels

+1.  Ours havent fallen apart.

CountZero

Personally, I’d go for the Pelican carryon wheeled case, pretty understated and very tough.
    https://g.co/kgs/iDcvDu

ElShalimo

Crikey, that Pelican ain’t cheap…

dantsw13

4 wheeled spinner cases are the spawn of Satan! Every bus or train near an airport has one smashing around like a lunatic. People like pushing them along – normally fine, but please stop doing it in aircraft aisles!! If you pull instead, it will follow you obediently, instead of banging into every seat like a pinball machine!!

Rant over 😬

Samsonite quality isn’t what it was imho. US bought stuff is given a lifetime warranty over there.

I currently use an eBags Weekender , which straps on top of my flight case to pull around.

I’ve given up on letting baggage handlers stress test my case.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

4 wheeled spinner cases are the spawn of Satan! Every bus or train near an airport has one smashing around like a lunatic. People like pushing them along – normally fine, but please stop doing it in aircraft aisles!! If you pull instead, it will follow you obediently, instead of banging into every seat like a pinball machine!!

Rant over

Point proven! 2 wheelers are the only way to go.

TiRed

Victorinox two wheeler with a removable suit carrier. Cheaper than Tumi. It’s lasted 10 years and still absolutely fine. Largest size I can carry on when not expanded. When expanded with purchases I check it in.

I like 4 wheels but think two for the larger case and strength. I really want to take laptop bag inside too for the smallest travel factor.

Otherwise it’s my Barbour weekend bag for a week with no purchasing.

Edit. This is the latest version. Not cheap but it’s been a trusty servant on about a hundred trips.

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Travel-Gear/Carry-On-Bags/Lexicon-Global-Carry-On/p/601171

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Deeply dull question for the HiveMind – Suitcases’ is closed to new replies.