Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Decking Blocks for Large Wood Store Build – Any good?
  • djambo
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m in the process of planning a large (not by McMoonter standards) wood store. It will be approximately the length of our garage and about 1.5-2.5m deep. I’ve been thinking about the base and toying with concreting posts in to the ground, laying a slab, putting the timber straight on the ground then i came across decking blocks…something like this:

Heavy Duty Deckin’ Block

They seem like a lot less phaff than the other options and hopefully more long lasting than having the timber posts go into the ground.

Are there any downside to these types of blocks?

matt_outandabout

Do they have an ability to level up or down? This may not be an issue for you.

kayak23

They seem like a good solution to keeping your floor off the ground. I assume you’ve got to level the area first though and have some sort of stable surface for them to sit on.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I always concrete a small pad then lay a 4″ block flat, these will give you the same outcome but at a fair bit more cost no doubt. What are you bearing the individual blocks themselves on to?

Northwind

matt_outandabout

Subscriber

Do they have an ability to level up or down?

Aye, if you kill enough of your enemies with one it’ll gain +1 to charisma.

djambo
    Free Member

What are you bearing the individual blocks themselves on to?

I assume you’ve got to level the area first though and have some sort of stable surface for them to sit on.

The ground is right on top of a hill with very free draining gravel heavy / sandy soil. My plan would be to dig down, compact the soil with a block of wood and a lump hammer and site these deck blocks level. Then add some weed proof membrane before getting busy with the 2×4’s.

Welcome to any other suggestions!

djambo
    Free Member

Also what sort of timber should i go for? I’m no expert but a quick google shows various grades/strengths…

C16/C24
    Tanalised
    Treated

I[m not familiar with all these terms

matt_outandabout

For a log store you just want treated (tannalised) timber, not posh stuff (structural grading c24/c16).

See if you have a local sawmill – mine charges half what the builders merchants/Wickes wanted.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Most timber is c16 minimum anyway, my merchant now sends all joists out as c24. Main thing as moab states is it needs to be treated.
    And don’t scrimp on the bearers, one on each corner won’t be enough if using say 4×2.

siwhite
    Free Member

C16 and C24 are strength grading standards for rafters etc – not needed in your case.

Nice idea about the decking blocks – I may use that for my next project!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Decking Blocks for Large Wood Store Build – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.