Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Decent set of CX wheels?
  • Garry_Lager

I’ve been riding a tricross on my commute for about a year – straight out of the shop and not made any real changes. Rear wheel’s a bit banged up and the hub bearings are starting to go. I think that the stock wheels are fairly low end – Alex19 rims and a no name hub, so I may upgrade them.

What’s a decent wheelset for a CX bike? Nothing too light needed, just looking for a durable allrounder.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

105 hbs on open pro rims.

taxi25
    Free Member

I use Mavic Askium’s Not to heavy not to light.Their probably one of the most popular cx wheelsets with normal club riders.
    Merlins got a good deal on them.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1325&categoryId=167

JoB
    Free Member

Ultegra on Open Pro rims

oldgit
    Free Member

Second the Shimano 105/Ultegra on Open Pros, nice and easy to straighten. I had those budget Alex rims, they only lasted one Sunday.

crazy-legs

The Alex rims that came on my first generation TriCross Sport lasted ages including a Three Peaks CX!
    I’m currently running Hope road hubs on Mavic Open Pro ceramics on my S-Works TriCross. The standard CX wheelset is your choice of hub on Mavic Open Pro but Mavic Aksiums are an excellent choice: cheap, light and strong. TBH, most roadie wheelsets are fine, I’ve seen riders running carbon clinchers with no problems, it just depends how deep your pockets are!

JoeNation
    Free Member

For handbuilt, I’d go Ultegra hubs, or Hope if you can afford them. CRC have 105 5501 hubs on sale at £45 a pair if you’re really strapped for cash. DT Swiss R1.1 rims are pretty light and have double eyelets for strength. Open Pros are also great. Make sure you get decent double butted stainless spokes (DT Competition or better), and get them built by someone who knows what they’re doing. Look for a DT Swiss/Madison/ATG trained mechanic.

For factory built, Aksiums are a good start, as are Shimano RS20s. Bontrager Race Lites are great looking, light and pretty strong for only £250.

As crazy-legs said, most roadie wheels are fine for cross, so take your pick.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Decent set of CX wheels?’ is closed to new replies.