• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • dead shimano hub
  • russblade
    Free Member

killed my rear hub at black rocks last night, I’m looking at replacing it with something cooler and serviceable but getting lost with all the different sizes and types etc, it’s got fm-rh66 on it, standard cube 2012 acid wheel, please help cheers

tutgareth
    Free Member

get a Hope pro2 evo rear hub, adaptable to most hub sizes and fully serviceable, all your future woes will dissapear… along with a small chunk of cash from your pocket!, but they are worth it 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope Pro II, will last forever (if not call hope for a new one)

seosamh77
    Free Member

hope pro 2 are the most irritating hub on the planet, it was a blessing when I changed my bike and got silent hubs back.

russblade
    Free Member

are superstar any good half the price of hope

tutgareth
    Free Member

are superstar any good half the price of hope

I very nearly went for SS switch evo hubs as they are cheaper and do look to be of decent quality. but have always wanted Hope so saved up for a bit longer. and they are british designed and made which makes me happy.

hope pro 2 are the most irritating hub on the planet, it was a blessing when I changed my bike and got silent hubs back.

but walker’s dont get out of your way with silent hubs, they do with the racket hopes make 🙂

barrykellett
    Free Member

What did you kill on your shimano hub and what part of it can you not service that you need to?

woody2000

As barrykellet says, what have you done? If you’craked it, then you’re buggered, but everything else is replaceable and easy to replace at that. Not sure what hub it is, probably deore or one of the “none series” models. Whichever it is, you should be able to get spares.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My favourite is Dt 240s

russblade
    Free Member

all I know is the cassette spins freely both ways, so no drive, I was under the impression shimano hubs once broke have to be replaced

BigR

Sounds like you only need a new freehub although these cost almost the same as the hub you won’t need to re-build the wheel.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just buy a complete hub and strip it of hub body comes and axle
    Mostly cheaper than buying the bits as spares

The part the cassette goes in is called the ‘ free hub body’
    And just bolts onto the main hub shell

Normaly about 15-25 but do vary with hub model

muckytee
    Free Member

Ah just replace it, you’ll get better pick up as well. My bike came with a cheap non series shimano hub, I replaced it with a SLX hub – much nicer (but I like shimano hubs) I would recommend getting a hope, unless you have a fetish for cup and cone there really is little point in getting anything else.

scottalej
    Free Member

You could try removing the cassette and squirting loads of GT85 / WD40 into the freehub part as best you can and see if you can get the engagement back. Chances are there’s just a build up of muck in there sticking the pawls.
    If this is a success get some spray grease and do the same thing again.
    My freehub has been going over 3 years and circa 1000 miles since doing this.
    Worth a try!

russblade
    Free Member

this hub has done 1500 miles in 8
    months, and it’s all been pretty tough going,

scottalej
    Free Member

So?? Still worth a try isn’t it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

this hub has done 1500 miles in 8
    months, and it’s all been pretty tough going,

tis but a baby in hub terms….
    Looking over at my original Hope ProII from about 06. You can keep throwing new bits inside a shimano hub if you want. Probably also depends on the state of the rim too.

coatesy
    Free Member

You can put a new freehub body on it, but i’m pretty sure it’s not the “normal” type on that hub,with a different spline attachment to the hub body. Probably best to strip it, and take it to your LBS as a pattern, and as said above, may be better to buy a complete hub and change the axle and bearings too.

cp

I’ve just done the freehub on my SS. An £8 donor hub from CRC and my old Deore hub now has new freehub, axle, cones & balls.

Runs like new.

The original hub is from 2003…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘dead shimano hub’ is closed to new replies.