Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dawn Chorus day 5th May
  • Bunnyhop

This from the RSPB website:

Our top tips on how to get the full dawn chorus experience:
    The dawn chorus can be heard in some form or another almost everywhere – from gardens, parks, hedges and woods to marshes and even mountain tops. If you want, just open your bedroom window, lie back and enjoy the songsters near you. But for the full effect, a wooded area or park with mature trees are great bets.

It’s on my bucket list (although we’re lucky enough to hear it from our bedroom).

Wrap up warm and head out about 5 am and find the nearest green space with plenty of trees. Warblers, blackbird, robin, thrush, wren etc all vying to woo their females with the loudest song.

Magical.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I spent an hour directing people to the car park at the Spring Art Exhibition (oh, the glamour) which basically involved being sat at a 3 way junction pointing at a gate into a field. All the roads were hedge lined and from 6-7pm this evening the birds were all singing loudly and flying about.

I saw sparrows, blackbirds, swallow, a buzzard, lots of little one which could have been tits of some kind, a rabbit (not strictly a bird) and, just for STW, a robin – although sadly not a baby robin.

myti
    Free Member

I remember hearing a dawn chorus whilst stoned lying in bed in the motorhome during the 1st lockdown. It was a particularly incredible one and my brain kept zoning in on particular songs and it was like some sort of amazing Dolby surround sound.

keefezza
    Free Member

I’ll be packing the car for dyfi not long after that time on Sunday. New house fortunately has greenery out back so we hear the birds every morning. Beautiful sounds to wake up to, once we drown the motorway noise out!

Is 5th may a significant day for this sort of thing?

CountZero

Ha! Little chance of hearing the dawn chorus in my house, it’ll get drowned out by the squabble of starlings that raid my feeders, starting about 5am. Once it’s warm enough to have my bedroom window open, I have to wear earplugs! That’s not an exaggeration.

Of course, the blackbird that has my garden as part of his territory will be out singing his heart out, the Robin might be about, there’s the various tits and the goldfinches who all contribute as well.

reeksy

We get amazing dawn chorus…well  often 30 mins before dawn. Sometimes ruined by kookaburra or cockatoo squawking loud enough to wake the dead.

Bunnyhop

Is 5th may a significant day for this sort of thing?

Yes, this date is possibly one of the best days to hear the dawn chorus throughout the land. But in reality it starts as early as late March through to mid May.

With very little money around these days to afford experiences, this is free and worthwhile. If you can get a child up and out at that time then all the better. Children being part of nature is so important in these days of ‘screens’.

Bunnyhop

Did anyone brave the early alarm call?

pondo

Had our bedroom window open and heard it very well – a glorious noise. 🙂

nedrapier

Did anyone brave the early alarm call?

Windows open. It was the alarm call!

Tracey

We are on a campsite up in the Dale’s surrounded by trees. Started just before 5 and was at its loudest around 6.30.

ossify

I had this a couple of days ago already.

Kept me awake from about 4.30 onwards, aargh. Very nice but really loud, and it was way too stuffy to shut the window. Wouldn’t really mind if I hadn’t already been up half the night with the baby!

CountZero

Yesterday, while I was at the archery range, which is close to the A350 bypass, and has Chippenham Rugby Club on the opposite side of the lane, I was delighted to hear skylarks singing their little heads off, but I couldn’t be arsed to wake up that early this morning. I was alerted to a lot of chirring noises, which closer examination indicated that there’s going to be a lot of noise from now on…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM