Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fixed Crit Racing…Talk to me.
  • cookeaa

So Googletube and FaceFlap have obviously profiled me and started nudging me towards videos and links related to fixed Crit racing, ‘Red Hook’ events and the like… It’s all very “Soshal Meeja” with lots of young, fashionable Vloggerists, but is it an actual ‘thing’ outside of that there Lahhndarn and other major US/EU cities?

As a concept it appeals to me quite a bit, properly minimal equipment requirements, and a simple but exciting race format, are there lots of fixed crit events in the UK that I’m simply unaware of, are they bolted on to other crits/events? Or has this race format simply passed our little island by?

Anyone?

legend
    Free Member

I didn’t know it was a thing other than Red Hook. Do you like a good crash? If so, get involved*

*if there are actually are any to get involved with

Garry_Lager

We have velodromes here, cookeaa.

daern
    Free Member

Watched the GCN video for Red Hook last night. Bollocks to that for a lark!

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t think it is a thing outside of London and even then only a once a year thing.

Does look like fun and completely different to track (other than bike is the same, or same as used in the longer track events anyway).  Not surprised at number of crashes as even riding solely fixed for the last 5 years it is still hard not to stop pedalling (and going over bars) when something unexpected happens right in front of you.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Hipsters only.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I watched a Red Hook thing near Greenwich which was good fun (as a spectator) but given all the crashes and injuries I’d be very surprised if it was a widespread “thing” from a participation point of view.

celticdragon

Then watch Francis Cade’s video from Red Hook Brooklyn about his experience as a racer . He broke both arms at Red Hook in a crash, and he used to ride for Pedal Heaven.

He also has videos up about Fix gear crits in Germany, which seem a damned lot safer.

cookeaa

*if there are actually any to get involved with

Well this was my question really, are there any actual “Grass Roots”? Or is it really just social media whipping up some Promotional fuss to sell fizzy drinks and wheeled toys?

Obviously, it’s not a UCI or national body governed/promoted format, which seems like a positive TBH, but then it seems like all the information available relates to a handful of iconic city-centre events in various locations around the world including London, but there’s none in less glamourous locations like Hull or Ipswich…

Which when you think about it feels a bit disingenuous to me, promoting the whole thing like there’s an easily accessible “scene” behind it, where you just rock up with a fixie and a lid and race, when there really isn’t…

brakes
    Free Member

Do you have a local track where they do crits? There may be a road club that do fixed crits there.

I know of fixed crit training sessions being ran at the London Olympic Park road circuit and races at Hillingdon in West London – there must be others that aren’t the big PR events. It’s a growing sport as far as I know coming off the back of the Red Hook crit format coming to London. You might see more next year during the crit season.

Maybe contact British Cycling and see if they can offer any advice.

theotherjonv

why was Red Hook London cancelled this year?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which when you think about it feels a bit disingenuous to me, promoting the whole thing like there’s an easily accessible “scene” behind it, where you just rock up with a fixie and a lid and race, when there really isn’t…

To be fair , “accessible” is only true if you have a Fixie Hipster bike, and even then only if your fixie hipster bike has some concessions to practicality like brake mounts, which limits it to very few bikes.

Crit racing at Hillingdon* on the other hand is put on for most** of the year, and if you’re the other 99.9% of the road bike buying public that didn’t buy a Specialized Langster, is far more accessible.

*Other cycle and motor racing circuits putting on crit races are available all over the country.

**not most of the year, but they do run various series at different times of the year.

crazy-legs

Maybe contact British Cycling and see if they can offer any advice.

Nothing to do with British Cycling, it’s not a UCI recognised thing – it sits completely outside of the minor part of the rules which states that road / circuit racing bikes must have a freewheel!

Some circuits allow fixed gear bikes on training sessions – I know a couple of circuits that operate floodlit winter tarining sessions where you can turn up on pretty much anythijng but for British Cycling racing, it’s normal road bikes only.

Fixed gear crits go for the big money, showcase options – there’s often one within the London Nocturne for example.

kerley
    Free Member

To be fair , “accessible” is only true if you have a Fixie Hipster bike, and even then only if your fixie hipster bike has some concessions to practicality like brake mounts, which limits it to very few bikes

They ride track bikes (same as ridden in longer track events, like the points race) not fixie hipster bikes.  They are fairly cheap compared to a road bike and you can get a decent track bike for £1000 or less.

Fixed crit bikes don’t run brakes by the way.  I don’t think you have a clue what you are on about…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They ride track bikes (same as ridden in longer track events, like the points race) not fixie hipster bikes.  They are fairly cheap compared to a road bike and you can get a decent track bike for £1000 or less.

My mistake.

My point still stands though, that it’s only accessible if you already have a track bike, brakes or no brakes. “£1000 or less” is a lot less than £0 (because there is no n+1 required)  for a normal crit race.

That and given that most track bikes live a very sheltered life, and a tiny scratch on the top tube seems to knock £100’s off the value let alone being ridden round some provincial outdoor velodrome, I can’t imagine many track riders wanting to ride crits on themi nice bike so it’s an n+1 for them too!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I watched the GCN Red Hook video on You Tube,it looked exciting to watch & a little dangerous to participate in.

That was the Milan round & it looked to be well attended,apart from London do they have any other non velodrome Fixie events in Britain?

kerley
    Free Member

That and given that most track bikes live a very sheltered life

No more sheltered than a road bike and people do crits on those (or are they also their n+1 crit bike).  Anyway, it is clearly accessible with an off the shelf Dolan Pre Cursa for £500 – or would be if there were any races to actually go to.

My only bike is a bike that would be suitable and I would happily race it although that would require me being much faster and younger as well as having races to compete in.

cookeaa

Do you have a local track where they do crits? There may be a road club that do fixed crits there.

I’m in Reading so Hillingdon would be my local crit venue, right? But I’m not aware of fixed crits being done there…

While I sort of like the idea of just popping over to whip round it, I would prefer not to risk my posher carbon road bike having seen some of the pile up footage online. So then you’re into “n+1” looking for a cheap (used) aluminium bike just to try out crit racing, it’s going to be a few hundred quid on that…  Plus frequently trundling along the M4 weekday evenings to go and be bad at bike racing? Nah, it would turn expensive very quickly I reckon…

I’m really not sure why a fixed crit bike has to cost £1k, someone just pulled a number out of their arse there didn’t they. You could have a raceable fixie for under £200 I reckon… If it was an actual thing. But I think we’ve established it isn’t really haven’t we…

kerley
    Free Member

I’m really not sure why a fixed crit bike has to cost £1k, someone just pulled a number out of their arse there didn’t they

I said a decent track bike, i.e. equivalent to a decent road bike.  Cannondale Caad 10s were knocking around for under £1000 with Omnium cranks and Ellipse wheels plus the very good Card 10 frame for example.

Yes you could get a cheaper, not so decent bike for £200 or you could get anything in between £200 and £1000.

But as you have realised, there are no races anyway other than the Red Hook which you wouldn’t get into anyway.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fixed Crit Racing…Talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.