• This topic has 33 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Darkside: Ribble carbon bikes – anyone have one?
  • hora
    Free Member
    Andyhilton
    Free Member

The sportive is lighter. I have a Ribelle which I think is now the Gran Fondo

hora
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, how tall are you and which size do you use? I think I'm a XL (6ft1) but the top tube seems 'short' (57).

How do you find it ridewise?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Think mine is a 54cm and I'm 6ft tall with a 33inch inside leg.

I've taken a couple of photos' just now for you. I'm uploading them now so will post them in a couple of mins. I'm just round the corner from you in Sale if you want a test ride.

hora
    Free Member

Hi Andy, yes please. That'd be perfect. Im just setting off to rivi for a quick spin. Could do (quickly) on the way back if convenient?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I'm on my way out too. Could do after 630 tomorrow.

i'll text you my number. Andy

hora
    Free Member

Ta, will do tomorrow 🙂

mrchrispy

the RS80's are a freaking brilliant set of wheels.
    I loves mine

hora
    Free Member

the RS80's are a freaking brilliant set of wheels.

Buggar. Ribbles only offering RS10's on the drop down menu 🙁

aP
    Free Member

How long before hora starts posting incessantly about ribble's special customer service?

mrchrispy

ring em hora, mine are from ribble.

I bought a winter training bike last year with a set of them, bike was about 500 and the wheels were 400 🙂 they went on the focus and the aksiums went on the winter bike. you need to pop in for a sizing anyway (assuming your getting a complete bike).

Hang on a sec?

your getting a road bike….lol
    told you it'd happen when the sprog arrived 🙂

up for some evening runs out to cheshire then?

hora
    Free Member

your getting a road bike….lol
    told you it'd happen when the sprog arrived

Yep. I'm tired of the silent/unspoken guilt and being made to feel bad! I went on a night ride last week and the 11pm through the door time has been mentioned 3times..

mrchrispy YGM

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I've got a Sportive with Centaur and Khamsins. Brilliant bike for the money – in fact brilliant bike full stop. I'm 5'11" and ride a Large, I have long legs mind (34"), and it works out perfectly. Had it about 9 months now and still love every ride on it.

And the service was excellent!

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Hora – I'm hoping To upgrade my road bike to either a Ribble Sportife – Planet X or Dolan – all are around the same price point – the Ribble is good spec but I’m unconvinced about the graphic – a tad overstated – the Planet X is the best value – The Dolan looks on paper to be a better ride – hope some of this is of use

hora
    Free Member

The Dolan has gone up though. circa 1.4k for basically the same kit as the Planetx.

I just feel abit miffed that not so long ago the Planetx was being knocked out for £900 with mixed Dura-ace etc and now the sodding prices etc due to the $ etc etc….anyway..

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I have a Gran Fondo on order. I read around a bit as I was undecided between the Sportive and the Gran Fondo, the former supposedly having a carbon steerer which accounts for the different quoted weights.

I've gone for the 56cm frame (XL?) as a couple of guys on bike radar have the Gran Fondo with that frame size (sat on the Ribble test rig to measure up) and who are a similar height (5' 11"). I would have gone for the 55cm (L) Sportive.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15956981

I went for the Special Edition as it has been cheaper for me to shop around for flashier finishing kit than to pay Ribble's upgrade prices.

I've gone for an Ultegra set up and then bought separately an Arione CX (Planet-x), Bontrager XXX Lite seatpost (All Terrain cycles) and Pro-lite Bracciano wheelset (Chain Reaction).

I've also bought Planet-X's carbon/titanium QRs and carbon bottle cage.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

Oh, and these Xpedo Thrust pedals (apparently made by Wellgo):

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Xpedo_Thrust_XRF5MT_Pedals/5360049866/

After reading this post:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=169494

Very light for the price.

headfirst
    Free Member

Phew, opened this thread with some trepidation – I'm about to use my cyclescheme voucher which I got on friday (I've been waiting for work to sort it out since before Xmas) to place a definite order on a Ribble sportive tomorrow!

aP
    Free Member

Personally, I'd stop cycling for ever than buy anything from Ribble.

hora
    Free Member

Carbon steerer? I'd draw the line at getting one of those (or the need for one) 🙂

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

This is the thread which gave me comfort around the correct frame size for a Gran Fondo:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15965112

When I placed my order a fortnight ago I was told that there's a 3-4 week backlog on some of the frames including the Gran Fondo.

cheers_drive

6'3" with a XL Sportive here with Rival groupset and Ultegra / Open pro wheels.
    Ribble have a bad rep but were OK when I rang up for info (took 2 attempts) and they answered email. Maybe they are different when things go wrong?

hora
    Free Member

There is no Rival groupset option now?

What Groupset would you guys chose (a no-brainer on the Ultegra?)

Centaur 1,099
    105 1,069
    Ultegra 1,199

aP
    Free Member

Centaur.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Well I chose Centaur because I like the way Ergopowers work, I like the carbon levers and mechs, and I like the look of the chainset. And brakes. basically I like the look of Centaur 😆

The Khamsins are cheap and cheerful, although the bearings are in need of a good service after 9 months.

cp

the 'reputation' of ribble is that things are fine pre-sales, but any issues post-sale are a pain. I've had a couple of things from them – just components & enquired about a frame/fork set at separate times – and emails have been answered within a few hours & parts delivered quickly enough.

cp

Ultegra – defo no brainer. I find the shifters more positive than 105 and the shifting is that bit more refined. it's prob a bit lighter, but it's the better feel of the components that's worth the extra IMO.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit I like the little button 'trigger' of the Campy. Never used them on the road but I am 'worried' about how hamfisted I am and potentially push too hard on the 'blades' levers of the Shimano setup?

Prefer the groupset that lasts the longest (cassette/chain etc).

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I attempted to tally up the weight savings of Ultegra over 105 and it came out around 200g.

hora
    Free Member

A quick search brought up a post:
    "Is it true that campy shifters are replaceable part by part if you break them? When I crashed last year my right side 105 slammed into the grass and some small part broke…I was told I had to replace the whole shifter. The LBS mechanic told me if I had campy components I wouldn't of had to replace the whole shifter. I don't know how true this is…I get my leg yanked or was this legit?"

Following posters said yes if you are prone to crashing the Campag is rebuildable/parts whereas the 105 shifters tends to be a 'unit'?

Duc
    Free Member

Campag is generally a noisier and slightly more industrial shift – I believe that is often reffered to as "positive"

Shimano is a bit wishy washy like it is on moutain bikes because of that floating jockey wheel. If you have the choice though go up to Ultegra rater than 105

Campag shifters (and some of the higher end mechs are rebuildable)
    Campags ultratorque cranks are far neater than HT2.
    The brakes are excellent too

Personally; Campag every time as it just keeps going and going and going without a fault on the road bike.
    The new hood design is really nice too. I also found shimano hoods too "fat" to get comfortable on when riding.

cp

Personally; Campag every time

I think folk are either shimano or campag. i used campag for a few months and hated it!!!!

hora – shimano levers feel pretty robust to me. the shifting tends to be very light and you've changed gear before you come against end stops and the like so i'd doubt you'd have issues

hora
    Free Member

On the feel (thank you), I need to ride both systems back to back.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Darkside: Ribble carbon bikes – anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.