• This topic has 75 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Dangerous?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

cynical-al : from memory- they printed the arrow the wrong way. Once those photos appearer the arrow changed to the other way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was meaning the pics of 6 or so discs in one post.

tonyg2003

OP – Given how often the hope skewer came loose on my wife’s Five. Wouldn’t be bothered about the rotor, more the skewer 😀

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve had this before and had people tell me my Hope rotors were wrong but they were installed as per the Hope guide. Still reckon mine were wrong based on other manufacturers info

juan
    Free Member

Well the user manual show you the rotor for the close caliper system. Not the mini. There is no chance the mini rotor end up like the one above. Twice the width and probably three time the weight. And I too have a pair of these for 8 year fitted as the OP.

kayak23

Oops….I take it back. Mine are actually on the way which would put the rotor into compression during braking.

sas
    Free Member

If your bike’s on a conveyor belt do the rotors go on the other way round?

Wibble89
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

but the pics above show the rotor as rotating counterclockwise?

I was meaning the pics of 6 or so discs in one post.

Disc goes on the left side of the wheel, wheel rotates in a forward direction = counterclockwise from the outside/left side. No?

iain1775
    Free Member

Forget the brakes that bike is way too big for you, look at the normal sized bike behind it

Ewan
    Free Member

Not wanting to bring a dose of the real world into it, but I suspect the grip on the tyre will give way a long way before any tension / compression factors come into it… And if it didn’t you’d pivot over the bars and hurt yourself that way…

cynic-al
    Free Member

wibble – yes

trickylad
    Free Member

Wowzer. I nip out for a bit and I’ve started a pub brawl.
    Reading through, for the fifth time, I’m still not sure what the consensus is.
    I think the answer is to pop one off and check for markings which they don’t currently have on the visible side.
    Anyone know if these are hope rotors? I could contact them.
    Am I right in saying my brakes are Hope Minis?

(the bike in the back is my daughter’s Islabike – wish I’d had a bike like that when I was 4)

Thanks for the input and debate..

bencooper
    Free Member

The wrong way around, definitely. The arms should alway be pointing forwards.

Take a pole, put it on the ground at an angle towards you, and lean onto it. It’ll take your weight. Put the pole leaning away from you at the same angle, and try leaning on it.

That’s effectively what you’re doing – you’re relying on the rigidity of the braking surface to transmit the load to all the arms evenly enough to not deform. Whereas with the rotor the right way around, the force is transmitted directly to the hub.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Horray! Still going…

No, they’re not right as per the usual way round that rotors are made. They’re so overbuilt that nobody is going to die, least of all a kid on an islabike.
    Yes, they are fitted correctly, as the way that Hope instruct you to fit them. There’s no markings on the disc however, and you could fit them the other way.
    I reckon that it’s down to the squeal you always get from old hope brakes.. some bright spark at the factory tried fitting the rotors backwards to see if it reduced it, and it did so that’s what they instructed.. maybe?

andyl
    Free Member

@Al: “but the pics above show the rotor as rotating counterclockwise?”

yup. Disc is rotating CCW so the braking force acts clockwise.

Ewan
    Free Member

Take a pole, put it on the ground at an angle towards you, and lean onto it. It’ll take your weight. Put the pole leaning away from you at the same angle, and try leaning on it.

That’s effectively what you’re doing – you’re relying on the rigidity of the braking surface to transmit the load to all the arms evenly enough to not deform. Whereas with the rotor the right way around, the force is transmitted directly to the hub.

But you’re assuming that the force will increase as you lean on the arm no? In a bike the force would increase to a point and then stop as the wheel would loose traction. I’d imagine this point is much below the buckling strength (if that’s the failure mode).

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, but hoping that one thing fails before another does isn’t the best thing to do 🙂

I don’t see the advantage in risking it.

juan
    Free Member

cool i was right they are the good way round :d, if you’re scared and want to listen to some bullshit on here turn them the other way round, you won’t die anyway!!!

trickylad
    Free Member

so i contacted Hope yesterday and they were helpfully quick to reply…

Hello Rick, when we manufactured this model we did indeed run them the
    way you have shown us in the photo.

Many thanks
    Nick

Service & Warranty
    Hope Technology (IPCO) LTD

I tink i’ll leave em. i’ll sort a new dentist just in case

juan
    Free Member

Well looks like some people on here should learn to respect professional opinion then.
    So much for the “I don’t care what somebody’s LBS said”… Seems to me apologies are in order.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The Ashima issue was a problem with the rotor not just which way you fitted it.

willej

Well looks like some people on here should learn to respect professional opinion then. So much for the “I don’t care what somebody’s LBS said”… Seems to me apologies are in order.

I think the operative word in the message from the chap at Hope is did.

Like I said in my original post, it won’t matter which way around it is, but the better way is the other way!

If we are all to have more respect for your LBS owner maybe you should also have some more respect for people on here that probably have more engineering experience and qualification than you might realise?

juan
    Free Member

This wasn’t towards you willej. Plus as you can read I have since the beginning said your brakes where the correct way forward, quoting a professional. As for the “more engineering experience” I have very much doubt most of the very vocal people on this thread are that qualified, as they would have told you the same than I and other did, to call hope directly.

titusrider
    Free Member

Btw when I sold my hope mini originals (i.e. same vintage) had worn the braking surfaces pretty thin when I sold them a couple of years ago. Id check the rotor thickness of the braking surface vs the arms. Might want to have new rotors anyway…

juan
    Free Member

Actually i thought will was the OP, so yes it was directed at you…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Dangerous?

Fox QR fork + Hope QR + disc brake = Yes (IME)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

quoting a professional

I’m actually a ‘professional’… you shoulda quoted me instead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

andyl – Member

@Al
    : “but the pics above show the rotor as rotating counterclockwise?”

yup. Disc is rotating CCW so the braking force acts clockwise.

But you said

andyl – Member
    But when you have the rotors the right way round the torque effect from braking puts them under tension

clockwise force = compression! Or am I missing something?

trickylad
    Free Member

TroutWrestler – Member
    Dangerous?

Fox QR fork + Hope QR + disc brake = Yes (IME)

Why?

juan – Member
    Actually i thought will was the OP, so yes it was directed at you…

You can call me Will if you like but it’s not my name

titusrider – Member
    Btw when I sold my hope mini originals (i.e. same vintage) had worn the braking surfaces pretty thin when I sold them a couple of years ago. Id check the rotor thickness of the braking surface vs the arms. Might want to have new rotors anyway…

Thanks will have a check

tenfoot

Yikes. I have the discs for my Hope Minis t’other way from the OP.

Hopefully death will be quick 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

Me too – have done for 10 years 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My feeling is the way round in the OP has the spokes in tension not compression which would be better?

Edit – all my bikes have the spokes of the disc in compression not tension. seems odd

bencooper
    Free Member

If they were truly in tension, possibly – if, for example, there was a braking force at every point of the rotor (imagine lots of calipers on one rotor).

However it’s not like that, there’s an offset braking force at just one point on the rotor. If you imagine the hub held solid, and a tangental force at one point of the rotor, you’ll see that the spoke is not in tension, it’s experiencing a bending moment. Just like my analogy of trying to lean on a stick that’s angled away from you.

robh

Hope Mini User Guide has oposite way to OP.
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/userguide_printed_2002.pdf

Interesting Hope stated anything different.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve a feeling the thermal expansion forces vs braking forces thing is wrong. Here’s my reasoning.

braking causes heating of the rotor braking surface which expands, so the outer ring grows in circumference. the spokes stay cool and hence don’t grow. the result is the spokes are in tension (a pure radial force actually), they are stretched slightly to ‘reach’ the expanded braking surface.

putting the rotor on with the spokes sweeping forward in the direction of rotation means gut feel is the spoke is in compression, but really it isn’t. As bencooper points out, they feel bending moment and shear force, a pure tangential force, totally perpendicular to the expansion force.

CHB

I have the same brakes, with the same hub.
    The set up was done by Merlin cycles, who I trust when it comes to mechanical stuff.
    I mine are the otherway round to the OP’s:

Sorry about the lack of colour clash.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Dangerous?’ is closed to new replies.