Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • DealEXtreme Oakley's – Has anyone checked to see if they offer UV protection
  • puffingbilly
    Free Member

Has anyone bought these and checked to see if they do indeed offer the 100% UV protection they claim? or how would you test them to see what protection they do offer?

jam-bo

Shotgun?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If they are genuine Os, then they do.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

If they are genuine Os, then they do.

But they obviously are not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That was rather my point…….! 🙂

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Well…..I think neither the op or anyone else would be under any real illusion that they are genuine oakleys. I presume he’s just more interested to know whether they will give his eyes the uv protection they claim or simply cause him blindness.

Northwind

Most bog-standard polycarbonate is highly UV resistant, I’m told it’s harder to make it UV transparent than UV opaque.

puffingbilly
    Free Member

A bit inconclusive….a guess a lot of people are using fake sunglasses (oakleys and others) whether they know it or not…..so it would be good to try and test them……

tracknicko
    Free Member

stay away. anything shaded opens the eye up just that little bit further, helping a big handful of UV in and **** you over good and proper.

not definately a problem in the UK, but have seen some pretty horrific stuff in greece in the past…

kentos1978
    Free Member

There was a thread on bikeradar about some ebay jawbones. Someone got them checked our and they were 100% UV.

geoffj

Northwind – Member
    Most bog-standard polycarbonate is highly UV resistant, I’m told it’s harder to make it UV transparent than UV opaque.
    POSTED 22 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

This ^^

andyl
    Free Member

I think opticians can check UV transmission.

clubber
    Free Member

Contacts protect from UV so I’m covered – If I didn’t wear contacts, I’d be more wary…

Besides, I’ll be using proper Oakley lenses in mine. Just getting the DX ones for the frame colours as Oakley don’t do jaws alone…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What northwind said, polycarbonate is UV opaque as a natural property of the material. Oakley just give it a fancy trade name and claim the property as if its been enhanced. 5 quid petrol station glasses will block UV if made from PC, the main benefit of more expensive glasses is better optics.

meehaja
    Free Member

well I’ve ordered some as I’m a sucker for a horizontally flattened O and the fakeleys I found at work have a weird two tone lens which I don’t like. Thanks for the PSA, I’ll let you know if I die.

GaryLake
    Free Member

clubber, can you let me know how you get on and where you ordered the lenses from?

rOcKeTdOg

just ordered some radar-a-likes, hoping the spare genuine lens i have fits the fake frame 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

rd which are they?

GaryLake
    Free Member

clubber, are you getting prescription oakley lenses in these btw?

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Ordered a couple pairs, white and black and yellow and black.

Will let you know how they go.

Regards

sambob
    Free Member

These I think Cruz

rOcKeTdOg
    clubber
    Free Member

I’ve already got a set of genuine jawbones so I’ve already got lenses. I wear contacts so they’re not prescription ones.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Thread resurrection!

Has anyone who recently ordered these had them dispatched? My order is still sitting as not dispatched.

Regards

meehaja
    Free Member

mine was dispatched yesterday.

clubber
    Free Member

mine were dispatched a week or so ago

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

When did you order them?

What colours did you go for?

clubber
    Free Member

ordered on 19 march.
    sent on 2nd April

I went for the black and red ones iirc

slimraybob
    Free Member

My white ones ordered on the 19th March have not been sent yet 😥

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Thanks clubber,

Ordered on the 4th April but no word yet.

AlasdairMc

White ones ordered on the 4th – awaiting supplier per their tracking 🙁

chrisdw
    Free Member

I ordered some white ones on the 22nd March. Arrived last week.

They seem damn good! They even have the Torx bolt that the Oakley ones have! Damn convincing!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Got an email this morning saying the yellow and black ones have been shipped.

Trying to change the order for the white and black ones (blue lens) to the ones with the yellow lens.

Regards

rOcKeTdOg

Shipped today apparently according to email

was
    Free Member

Got mine (white/black frame) the other day (ordered march 19th)

Quality is OK, clearly not Oakley standard but the fit is great.

Lenses aren’t up to much, but I ordered a pair from visionary lenses in the states on ebay.

legend
    Free Member

Nobody’s planning on using these for riding are they? After seeing some fake Oakleys shatter their frame and embed themselves into someone’s forehead (in a crash situation admittedly) I probably wouldn’t

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Let us know if real lenses fit ok?

Or do you know already?

rOcKeTdOg

I think you could damage yourself with genuine ones, i did with some genuine Adidas Evil Eyes, if you hit snything hard enough and at the wrong angle it’s potentially dangerous

finbar
    Free Member

Nobody’s planning on using these for riding are they? After seeing some fake Oakleys shatter their frame and embed themselves into someone’s forehead (in a crash situation admittedly) I probably wouldn’t

I don’t think they’d be any more or less likely to do that than other budget sunglasses (EDIT: or not so budget ones as per rocketdog).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘DealEXtreme Oakley's – Has anyone checked to see if they offer UV protection’ is closed to new replies.