Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Damned Devices
  • SaxonRider

I just saw a piece on the BBC website asking what we would have done had the virus hit in 2005, as we didn’t yet have smart phones. WTF happened to, oh, I don’t know… books?

I have a son at home right now who can not leave his ****ing phone alone. WTF is with that?!? Who ****ing cares that much about what their friends are doing? Sure, when I was a teenager, I used to talk to friends on the phone, but that was naturally limited in time. Now it’s ****ing constant! WhatsApp or SnapChat or whatever. And he tells me that if he doesn’t respond within minutes, his “friends” will either bombard him more, or eventually drop him. What kind of “friends” are those?!?

I know we have talked on here in the past about how our devices are positive tools, and how we only need to use them properly, but I really don’t think that, for many people, it’s possible. Being connected can be good, of course. I only have to think about this place to realise the power of bringing otherwise disparate people together. And that’s not even to mention the incredible access we have to the world’s research and knowledge. *But for the most part, it seems, that is NOT the way personal devices get used. And if I’m even close to right, how the hell are our children supposed to read Plato? To learn Latin & Greek? To solve problems? To embrace the wonder of mathematics? “Oh, sorry, I don’t have time for that, dad. My friend’s just messaged me.”

FFS! **** your “friends”. **** these ****ing devices that allow our lives to be completely run by other people’s attention deficits, and manipulated by algorithms written to keep us from books/music/languages/wonder/exploration.

*Certainly, as far as I can tell, among young people.

bearnecessities

This self-isolation’s getting to you. I can tell.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

And breathe.
    Personally I blame the parents.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’d be in a lot of trouble than we are. Regardless of your ranting that phone is your sons only connection to his friends – without it you’d be ranting about other stuff.
    These are exceptional times – just go with it.

how the hell are our children supposed to read Plato? To learn Latin & Greek?

Yeah, because that happened all the time before phones became a thing!

johnners
    Free Member

And if I’m even close to right, how the hell are our children supposed to read Plato? To learn Latin & Greek? To solve problems? To embrace the wonder of mathematics?

I’ve got to be honest with you here, learning Latin, Greek, problem solving and embracing the wonder of mathematics is not how I spent my teenage years.

zilog6128

hols2
    Free Member

I never learned Latin and Greek. It never bothered me before now, but now I realize there’s a huge emptiness inside me. Deus animae meae miserere

perchypanther
    Free Member

…. he ranted, on his phone, to his friends on the internet, without a single shred of irony

nealglover
    Free Member

how the hell are our children supposed to read Plato? To learn Latin & Greek? To solve problems? To embrace the wonder of mathematics?

I really don’t think it’s instagram that is the main reason for this not happening.

I do agree there are certain issues with dependance on mobile devices (that isn’t one of them though IMO)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

…. he ranted, on his phone, to his friends on the internet, without a single shred of irony

Masterly Perchy, masterly! Cap doffed.

CountZero

@perchy – our one reliable ray of light in our darkest hours of need; we salute you! 👏🏻

I’ve got to be honest with you here, learning Latin, Greek, problem solving and embracing the wonder of mathematics is not how I spent my teenage years.

Me neither – while I had a few friends I hung out with, often I’d be out on my own, exploring the woods and surrounding area, or reading a book; I didn’t have much in the way of records, just a small cassette player in my late teens, prior to that, we didn’t even have a telephone!

martinhutch

I know, carpe diem and all that.

SaxonRider

Me neither – while I had a few friends I hung out with, often I’d be out on my own, exploring the woods and surrounding area, or reading a book; I didn’t have much in the way of records, just a small cassette player in my late teens, prior to that, we didn’t even have a telephone!

The things I mentioned were just the first things that came to mind. (I was a serious reader growing up.) But anything you mentioned here could work just as well. The essence of what I am saying is not nullified by the fact that my examples may not be applicable to everyone. People should replace them with examples of their own.

As for Perchy’s comment, while the point is valid in a general sense, I did (and do) acknowledge the good of the internet (and this place in particular). Furthermore, I tend to post on here in the midst of wordblock or whatever. Not as a complete replacement for engagement with other areas of my life.

tjagain

My family including my aged parents are scattered around the place. Keeping in touch with them via social media is a great help including a local whatsapp group for my parents area which is meaning folk are keeping an eye on them and helping them out

I also enjoy the increased positivity and funnies on facebook ( I block moaners)

sharkbait
    Free Member

You are raging about something that is simply the way life is now.
    Trains superseded canals
    Lorries superseded trains
    TV superseded (some) radio
    Internet superseded TV
    It’s never going to change back so you may as well get used to it.
    Sorry.

(If it’s any consolation he’ll grow out of it one day)

euain

Internet superceded TV

Dictionaries are still not superseded though (sorry)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Exactly!
    And it wasn’t for tech I wouldn’t have easily been able to look up the correct spelling 😁

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Damned Devices’ is closed to new replies.