Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Damage to XT 771 Mech
  • andymac
    Free Member

I broke my mech hangar and damaged my XT 771 Mech a couple of days ago.

The metal on the mech was sheared at the point as shown in the picture Mech damage

(its the bit that touches the rear hangar). I take it the mech is junk apart from as spares?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

That’ll be alright. Turn it back round with a screwdriver and mount it. You might be able to tap the stop down with a punch.
    It’ll hang funny when the wheel is out, but that’s all. It should work fine.

andymac
    Free Member

It seems too damaged to hold the stop back, even with a bit of tapping. Thinking I might put it on eBay.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The chain tension will hold it in place. The stop is only that it doesn’t stick out backwards, and makes it easy to fit because you don’t have to wind the spring up as you put it on.
    I had a dura-ace mech on my old road bike that was exactly like that. It had been damaged in transit by an airline and written off. Customer didn’t want it, but it’s still going strong for my mate 7 years later.

andymac
    Free Member

Thanks. Have had another go at fitting it and got it on. Does the fact that it sits more backwards just make it harder to get a wheel in and out?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yep. That’s all really. It’ll sit the same as normal with tension on it

andymac
    Free Member

Great, will set it up fully tomorrow.

Chhers

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually the same part on most Shimano mechs, if you’re having problems try your LBS, they may have one from a scrapper(we always kept a few when Shimano used aluminium ones on the XTs for a while).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Damage to XT 771 Mech’ is closed to new replies.