• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cytech level 2?
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Has anybody paid for themselves to do level 1 and level 2 Cytech qualification? I’ve been having a look through the bike mechanic jobs and they all want this qual so I’m considering paying for myself to get it to hopefully then be able to get a job in a bike shop. Or as a 32 year old female am I being a complete nutter?!

bruneep

I have nothing other than this to offer

Or as a 32 year old female am I being a complete nutter?!

😉

rOcKeTdOg

i started mine at 45 😀

GolfChick
    Free Member

Was it worth doing do you reckon?

robbo167
    Free Member

I did this with ATG training…it was a good course and group and as all shops were looking for Cytech 2 and /or years of experience it was the only way in for me,chain stores are your friend here …..after 3 jobs I realised that the whole retail thing wasn’t for me,basic pay,weekend/bank holiday working etc….I went back to enjoying bikes instead.

Good luck

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you can I would just try and get a job if at all possible, look at independents ask for a trail. The courses are pretty expensive. I managed to at a cycle surgery. I took along a wheel I had built as an example of work. Biggest thing I learnt on the job was replace cables if cables are involved. At home I would try and say agjust gears and brakes see how it went then replace cable if needed penny pinching. Not worth it in a shop for more Hassel for the customer.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen a few jobs advertised at halfords and although I’m sure it would be abysmal wages I’m also hoping it would be a foot on the ladder. I did also see seasonal bike mechanics wanted so wondered if it would be a means to an end and a long term goal seeing as otherwise at end of August I’m off to France to live for a while.

coatesy
    Free Member

As you’ve found, if you want to be a mechanic then you’ll pretty much have to get the qualification, though you can also get the accreditation without taking the course (a much cheaper option)if you’re already a capable mechanic.If i’m honest, level 2 is the absolute bare minimum most shops would need as it only covers the basic full strip/rebuild (inc. wheel build), a few years worth of additional experience of dealing with the full spectrum, BSO to high-end, will be far more valuable to an employer

bikeneil
    Free Member

Although Cyctec is a good basis, i suspect that most bike shops would prefer a good level of experience.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cytech level 2?’ is closed to new replies.