Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cyclocross disc wheels – Zonda, Racelight, 4 season
  • drotos
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m about to buy a new tubeless disc wheelset for cyclocross racing. I have 3 options – i mean deals – at the moment:
    – Campagnolo Zonda
    – Kinesis Racelight
    – Hunt 4 season

What do you think about them? Weight to strength ratio?

I wouldn’t like too much hassle because of a light, but noodle-like wheelset…

Thanks in advance!

Garry_Lager

Are they for purely for racing? I’d consider a set of carbon tubs from China for around £300 in that case – good tub tyres are expensive, though, and will put £120+ on top of the price.

If you want something more versatile then any of those three will be fine (I have the 4 seasons – popular wheelset, good all-rounder). You’re not at the ‘light’ price point there so there’s no real worries about noodly wheels.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I had Zonda’s on my road bike. I’m no lightweight at 90kg’s or a couple over, and initially thought the spoke pattern on the rear wheel might struggle but they ran true for the 2 years I rand them, so a really good wheel set. Not the lightest….nor the heaviest but certainly seem to be pretty robust. Hubs were lovely too.

BenjiM

Primes from CRC/Wigglw and have a set of decent replacement bearings spare for when they inevitably give up. Light and seem to be very popeular on the North West CX circuit.

ferrals
    Free Member

What is the budget? novatec cxds are abotu 350 and sem popualt so maybe anther option?

13thfloormonk

Those Novatecs seem a bit too good to be true! Have read about the alloy nipples failing (although apparently since redesigned) so wonder if there’s any other catch.

My preference otherwise would be the Fulcrum Racing 3 DB which I think is likely to be similar to the Zondas, I like them as they are one of the few disc brake wheels on the market which still have (easily adjustable) cup and cone bearings. My (rim brake) Racing 3s have needed adjusted once, it took next to no time with a couple of allen keys, and they run unbelievably smooth.

olaa
    Free Member

I have had Zonda’s and they worked great.
    Have you considered wheels from Justridingalong? I have those on both my full-sus and my cx bike, and the build quality is great with really good components. Price is definitely fair as well.

nicko74

For the Hunts, is that the 4 Season gravel, or the Hunt X Mason 4 Season? Both have theoretical weight limits, but the Masons have a slightly lower limit. I have the 4 Season gravel wheels and love ’em

wilhay
    Free Member

I bought a pair of LOW MASS tubeless wheels from https://cyclocrossracer.co.uk. I am 81Kg and been smashing them throughout the summer even racing a rooty XC circuit on them. good spares and warranty from UK supplier.

so far very impressed with their weight and robustness so I bought a pair of their Tubulars .. so far been smashing them around stoney, lumpy summer cross circuits. they are light and they have stood up to my considerable abuse.

drotos
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a wheelset with Easton EC90 rims, Miche SWR hubs, Sapim Race spokes… The wight is 1544gr. I hope it will cope with cyclocross… 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross disc wheels – Zonda, Racelight, 4 season’ is closed to new replies.