Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cycling peddars way, first 90 mile ride. Tips!
  • sam1988
    Free Member

In September cancer research UK are doing cycle 300. Cancer is a subject that’s effected me so want to do somthing. I’ve wanted to cycle peddars way for some time and had planned to do it next year but now might being it forward till this September as part of my 300 mile month.
    I do 30 mile mtb rides most weekends, 90 miles is abit of a step up! What are my odds I would be able to do it? What food would I need to be fueling myself? Any tips appreciated really. I don’t have much worries about the 45 mile ride there but the return leg
    Thanks

kittyr
    Free Member

Hi. I biked it a few months ago but did it over 2 easy days.

The first half from Thetford is a bit boring TBH but the second half is nicer, more open and rolling countryside.

I reckon about 50% tarmac, 25% decent surface off road track and 25% bumpy or very rutted or grassy track. In the wet this would be harder going.

Way finding is a piece of piss, its straight on, straight on, straight on 😉

I don’t recall many places to stop and buy food on the way. There is a coop style shop on the route at Castle Acre which is about the 25 mile point.

antigee

you’ll kill it if can do 30miles mtb its just more of the same – recent thread (I can’t find) on riding long distances and most people talked about the head game eg splitting into thirds with planned rest stops and about eating often and consistently…reading above if there is not much in way of facilities make sure well provisioned and make the effort to stop for say 15/20mins or so a couple of times other eating can be done on the go or at top of hills/taking pics enjoy

johnnystorm

There’s often a chap doing coffee with a Piaggio Ape in the carpark at knettishall Heath, depending on your start/return time. The chipshop in East Harling is great if you need a bite and there are a couple of pics and a shop there.

As you cross the A47 you go right behind an Esso and a McDonalds.

As you barrel down the hill into Castle Acre (North bound) it spits you out into a deep Ford that has a drop in and out so watch it!

As mentioned above, good shop with chippy next door in Castle Acre.

The lack of rain recently means there are some Sandy sections that are a faff and the surface was baked hard a couple of weeks ago so stuttery bumps on the gravel bike.

Can’t remember the name of the pub in Wells but it was alright the last time I went. (I diverted to Burnham a couple of weeks ago).

If it’s quiet I’d stick to the footpaths as the bike diversions can be a bit pointless doing two sides of a triangle on roads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d argue against any stoping.

A couple of coffees and you’re probably adding well over an hour to the riding time. Imagine yourself stopped for a rest, and imagine imaginary you riding off at 10mph. Imaginary you can now ride the next 50 miles 10% slower and your rest won’t help you catch him!

I rode from Reading to SSUK last year which was about 90miles on the mainland, across the island and then. The obligatory night ride to the pub and back.

I think I took
    2x 1l bottles of orange juice diluted 50/50
    1x bag of dolly mix
    1x pack of mini flapjacks (20)
    1x pack of cereal bars.

I didn’t stop except for junctions.

Make sure you either take enough fluids or have a plan to replenish them, dehydration will slow you a lot more than a lack of food!

Have a plan to eat frequently. I set my phone to beep at me every 15minutes which was my cue to eat a bit of flapjack or handfull of sweets. I was aiming to eat 400-500 calories an hour which my my reckoning was what I was burning minus what i know my body normally manages for ~4hours before bonking I.e. the 11 hours or so of riding I only needed to replenish about 6 of them and have a good meal later.

Cletus

Best tip is to make sure that your bike is in top condition and that you have spare tubes, pump. tape, zip-ties etc. to cope with any minor mechanicals – nothing like bike trouble to mess up your day.

Other than that stay hydrated, take some food but also work out where you can eat on the way. Be sensible about what you do eat though – I struggle to digest fatty foods on longer rides – love a full English but now avoid them as they can cause real problems.

Do not be tempted to shoot off too fast – steady progress is best for long distance cycling.

Finally chat to other riders who are going at a similar pace to you – it will help the miles pass quicker.

drnosh
    Free Member

Rode bits of it near Great Massingham 2 weeks ago.

Pretty overgrown in places, fighting brambles in shorts and tee-shirt. Not good.

sam1988
    Free Member

Planning this ride at the weekend. I don’t think I’m ready to cover 100 miles yet. I’ve done 200 in the last 2 weeks and 40 miles currently seems my limit. Going to send the wife and kids to the sea side at Holme next the sea and I’ll meet them there. 46 miles

Anyone rode the route from thetford recently?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The secret is pacing, nutrition and hydration. Most people go off way too quick on these kind of events. Once you get to know your zone numbers…either by HR or power, when you ride or run off in Zone 2 it will feel very very slow…but stick with it as the slow pacing initially will make all the difference later on. There is nothing worse than trying to complete a big ride once cramp has set in. No matter how slow you set out and how slow you pace yourself, you’ll get to the end far quicker than if you go out too quickly and start cramping three-quarters of the way round. Take it slow and steady, enjoy the ride and the finish will soon come to you.

kittyr
    Free Member

Anyone rode the route from thetford recently?

I rode the Peddars Way from Thetford to Hunstanton in May. The first half was flatish and lots of forest road style paths. The second half was maybe more road but nicer, more open and gently rolling. Enjoyed it.

Some bits are very deeply rutted so you need to be a bit careful on those and watch your speed.

The ruins at Castle Acre are beautiful, and there is a convenience store literally right on the route as you go through Castle Acre if you need more food or water.

Have a nice trip!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id argue if you can ride 45 miles you can ride 90. Its just twice as long in the saddle. The key is doing it at a sustainable pace. A long ride is only really tiring if you either go too fast or dont eat enough calories.

An hours fast ride leaves me knackered, but I can also do >300 miles on a long weeekend, just only 70% of the speed!

The training aspect is mostly mental and planning IME. You need a few long rides to get used to being 50 miles in with 50 to go and not getting depressed about it. And practiced enough that you know what food your body likes to eat over 10 hours of riding (for me, a good mix but not stingy on the jelly babies as cereal, nuts, dried fruit and other fibre give me heart burn if i try and eat enough of them).

Id give the whole thing a go, you’ll probably surprise yourself!

Evesie
    Free Member

Just got back home from riding this, rode from home – South Essex using as much off road as poss to join Icknield way, bivvied in forest, then Pedders way & along the coast to a favourite campsite. Pedders was easy to follow and pretty clear of under(over?)growth. Was on rigid 29er which was fine. All very dry & dusty, sandy going on end of Icknield for some draggy bits but Pedders was ok, a bit too much road for me though. Undulating as you approach coast, good views & had personal air display from USAF F35’s. Enjoy.

sam1988
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll give it a go Sunday. Weather doesn’t look to bad. Scattered showers in afternoon.
    I know I can get there. I’ve covered that distance before. So basically, keep the food and water up, pace yourself and just keep peddling?

Thanks

senorj

Yes.As above – if you can do 40 , 80 is easily doable and you could do the last 10 mile on stubbornness and jelly babies alone.
    Keep yourself well hydrated today and tomorrow! Have a good feed on Saturday. 🙂
    Good luck.

sam1988
    Free Member

I’ve been drinking plenty for the last few days, also eating lots of carbs. I’ve jelly beans, flap jack and bananas at the ready, plenty of water. 1x 29er hardtail. Upped the tyre pressures, upped the fork pressure in hope of better pedalling. Off for a good night sleep. Anything I’m missing? Wish me luck

Poopscoop

Good luck mate!

Never even heard of Peddars Way till I just read this and you’ve just given me a cunning idea.

This might be a challenge for me next year.👍

What’s the worst that could happen?!😆

Oh, use the Glimpse app on you mobile so family can see where you are? If you are dead in a ditch or anything?lol ( Nah, you’ll do fine mate!)

Sandwich

If you are dead in a ditch or anything

He’s going through Norfolk, anything could happen.

sam1988
    Free Member

Well I did It. What I ride it was too. I covered 97 miles in just over 9 hours. 3 punchures as lots of flints in places. Glad I did I didn’t think with my fitness it would be possible, amazing what the right food can do at regular intervals

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well done! Told you it was doable!

Now get on with planning a 200mile ride for next spring 😀.

The ‘greater ridgeway’ is on my to do list next year, 370 miles Dorset to Norfolk.

Poopscoop

sam1988

Well I did It. What I ride it was too. I covered 97 miles in just over 9 hours. 3 punchures as lots of flints in places. Glad I did I didn’t think with my fitness it would be possible, amazing what the right food can do at regular intervals

Great stuff op! You were running tubes I take it?

Where did you stay and end mate? I would like to ride this next year. Not in one day though.😁

sam1988
    Free Member

Was running racing Ralph with stans race sealant. Both tyres got cuts rather than punchures. It really struggled to seal the front and failed to seal the rear which I had to fit a tube on the return trip. If I was to do it again I would opt for a heavier duty tyre over the thin xc tyres.

I live 20 mins drive from the start at knettishall heath and drive past it on the way to work. I got the wife to drop me off in the morning then she drove to Holme next the sea with the kids to have some fun on the beach.

On the route these isn’t much in the way of shops etc. I saw a few pubs in the villages you go through and a spar shop in castle ache.

Peddars way comes out on the a149. The road opposite goes straight down the beach. There is a pub in Holme. I didn’t see anything else. Hunstanton is a few miles down the coastal path.

I Rode back and had the wife collect me back at knettishall later that evening

Poopscoop

That’s for that info mate.👍

I’ll probably stick to the HR2 and Minion then.lol

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cycling peddars way, first 90 mile ride. Tips!’ is closed to new replies.