Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycle Touring – decent books available?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

I have an acqauintance – the husband of my GF’s ex-colleague – who has invited us to his 50th party. GF said "Get him a bottle of whisky", but I prefer to think for myself sometimes, and recalled a comment he made to me at xmas about wishing to do a cycle tour of one/some of the Scotish islands this summer.
    So, does anyone know of any good books available which might give some comprehensive cover of possible routes in these areas? He’d be sticking to roads or cycle tracks/canal paths, I’m sure, and if there was appendices for trackside maintenance etc. that would be a bonus.

I’ll have the whisky for masel’
    Cheers

harvey
    Free Member

there are several good books . one by harry honicker ? is good . i have cycled in the same areas and his information etc. is good .i have nt the book at hand at the moment . i can post later with the correct name

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Of course. At your convenience. That would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    I’ll google HH right now, and see what occurs!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Nah Harvey, nowt about an HH as you’ve spelled it above. I’ll await your further post with patience.
    Cheers

harvey
    Free Member

101 bike routes in scotland – harry henniker
    the ultimate scottish cycling book – paul lamarra
    both books were published 2003 – 4 ,but have an old fashioned feel, both give good routes in the highlands that can be easily extended .
    from my own experience – cycling around ardnamuchin and mull are stunningly beautiful, and easy to access ; the island of arran is also a great starter cycling detination for a long weekend , and even easier to reach . to be honest both areas dont really need a guide book – just a map and go ! jura is also stunning , and you dont even need the map as its 35 miles road/track out and back !

harvey
    Free Member

both on amazon

druidh
    Free Member

It’s Harry Henniker. There’s not a lot of his stuff covers the isles. If you’re interested, I did a road tour of the Outer Hebrides last year and really enjoyed it. I’d be happy to share any "research" I did. Some pics here

Slide show

And a wee write up here: http://www.scotroutes.com/Routes/Road/Report.htm

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think there was one published about cycling on the Orkney islands too. Might be worth contacting the bike shop in Kirkwall, they’ll surely have it.

Great possibilities for road touring on the smaller islands up there.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll be in Borders and Waterstones the morn’s morn.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Druidh – ‘ckinell! What a beautiful part of the world when the weather’s good.
    They are fantastic shots. Very inspirational. Well done sir. Thank you for letting us have a look.
    I may have missed it on the write-up, but what time of year were you there?

druidh
    Free Member

MikeT-23 – Member

Druidh – ‘ckinell! What a beautiful part of the world when the weather’s good.
    They are fantastic shots. Very inspirational. Well done sir. Thank you for letting us have a look.
    I may have missed it on the write-up, but what time of year were you there?

Our trip started on the last weekend in May (2008). The locals told us it hadn’t rained for 6 weeks. That’s not actually so unusual. The "sunshine hours" statistics for Tiree are incredible. Glad you liked the photos though. TBH – we took loads more and could have spent hours more doing so, but by the third day we’d grown almost blasé about it. Got any favourites?

myheadsashed
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Touring – decent books available?’ is closed to new replies.