Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cut Gate/Peaks
  • strike
    Free Member

Which is the best way to ride it – North to South or South to North (for the most fun!)? (and no, I haven’t looked at a map yet to determine the contours!).

Also, any good day-loops that Cut Gate can be made a part of? Looking to ride in the Peaks this coming Thursday and will be parking in Hope.

Thanks-in-advance.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i would do:
    up roman rd to hope cross
    down the beast
    onto A57 for 1/2 a mile or so
    Up rowlee farm
    down nabs wood/lockerbrook
    left up to slippery stone
    over cutgate and right onto north america
    left at the gate to the reservoir
    cafe across road
    back onto cutgate and over to the reservoir (Howden)
    stay on the left side
    Up the slabs onto winstonlee torr
    along to the end
    over the edge onto the telegraph descent
    down behind the ladybower in to the a57 again
    across the dam wall at ladybower
    turn RIGHT
    along side of the reservoir until you come to the permissive bridleway up to win hill
    at the top turn right and then left down the roman rd back into hope

Onzadog
    Free Member

Typically, unless you’re doing lord of the loops, it’s an out and back.

Worth check ground conditions for cutgate before you head off. It’s bad news for you and the trail if it’s wet.

Tracey

Usually out and back from Langsett end and then finish in the pub for a pie. Did it on Saturday but finished in Wortley Arms instead

qtip

I think Rob’s route sounds about spot on for incorporating the best bits of that part of the Peak District. Good pub at the Ladybower too to stop at before the short pootle back to Hope.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What were conditions like at the weekend? Thinking of doing it saturday if the weather stays dry.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I like to park at Langsett barn, ride out to the cairn and back. There’s a nice little bit you can do through some woods at the Langsett end too but it’d be rude to go into details 🙂

It’s an ace ride but yes, please respect the conditions, I don’t have a bike ATM but imagine it’s dry now.

Tracey

Bit wet on the top but over all in good condition

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. If we get the week of sunshine that’s promised, do you think it will have dried out by then?

Tracey

If we get the week of good weather then it should be OK

MadPierre

Did it out and back from Ladybower end a week ago and it was a bit damp on top but fine overall. Cracking day weather wise, ride taken at a leisurely pace with a warm up over Hagg Side before Cut Gate. Pub stop at Langsett for lunch.

Some photographs: http://mountainbikerides.co.uk/photos/local-rides/the-peak-district/cut-gate-path-25th-may-2013.html

Should be similar this week looking at the forecast 🙂

And if you want to make it into a big loop this is one: http://mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/18-doctors-gate-a-cut-gate-path.html

Garry_Lager

It doesn’t lend itself easily to loops as they tend to be quite large – the Bleaklow circuit in The Book has one: Longdendale – Woodhead – Cut Gate – down to Fairholmes and over Haggside – A57 – Doctors Gate back to Glossop. About 38 miles IIRC (plenty of ‘easy’ miles in there though) and worth doing to experience the frustration of Drs Gate once in your life. 5 mile climb on the A57 is not much fun – narrow and busy A road.

For a monster day loop you could swerve the A57 and ride over to Edale, Jacobs way and come back to Glossop like that – possibly this is the Lord of the Loops Onzadog refers to. Big ride that.

dannyh
    Free Member

I would opt for:

Start at Bridge End car park on Derwent Reservoir. Climb up to the Hagg farm x-road (of trails) and descend Lockerbrook.

Ride western bank of reservoirs to Cut Gate.

Climb out of Cranberry Clough.

At junction take right hand branch to North America.

Turn left, ride up to the other branch.

Left and back to junction.

Back over top and into Cranberry Clough.

Ride eastern shore of reservoirs to pick up climb to Whinstone Lee Tor.

Descend to Ladybower Inn.

Have well-earned pint.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate/Peaks’ is closed to new replies.