Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cut Gate – nice and dry?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Bit of sunshine, bit of blue sky and I start thinking about Cut Gate.

Anyone ride it recently?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

was in that area monday – still a bit moist – especially at the bottom near cold side – whcih was a bog. might be ok now tho?

james
    Free Member

Rode it on sunday

Not all dry (when is it?) but still very rideabe mostly. Theres a few bog bits in the parts where the path is a lot lower than the heather, but mostly rideable
    I reckon (can’t remember too well though) its drier than it was in july ’07 2 weeks after the floods

somewhere near the middle:

near the top:

higgo
    Free Member

Rode it on sunday

Not all dry (when is it?) but still very rideabe mostly. Theres a few bog bits in the parts where the path is a lot lower than the heather, but mostly rideable

Bingo.
    If it stays dry this week (as forecast) I’ll give it a whirl on Sunday morning.

Pook
    loftmonkey
    Free Member

thinking of doing it next week never done it before – how far is it there and back from langsett res

higgo
    Free Member

thinking of doing it next week never done it before – how far is it there and back from langsett res

I don’t know ‘cos I’ve never done it from Langsett (must do one day).

I go from Ladybower (Fairholmes), along Derwent and Howden resers then up Cranberry Clough, over Cut Gate, right to North America, left, up Mickleden Edge, over Cut Gate again, down Cranberry Clough and back along the resers. I haven’t got the figures with me at work but I seem to remember it as ~22miles with ~22km of ‘proper’ stuff and the rest being the pootle along the resers.

Doing it from Langsett, distance would obviously depend on where we decided to turn back. Much as I love the descent of Cranberry Clough, I’m not sure I’d want to go down it then turn around and go straight back up.

antigee

doing from Langsett and going to Fairholmes junk shop and cafe would only add about 2 (easy) miles to Higgo’s route

higgo
    Free Member

doing from Langsett and going to Fairholmes junk shop and cafe would only add about 2 (easy) miles

Why bother though? Unless you really want a dambusters tea towel. The stuff along the side of the resers isn’t the most thrilling riding in the Peak.

antigee

Why bother though?

agree but some peeps (especially my mate) like a cafe stop and it does reduce the oh my god i’ve just ridden down it now i’ve got to ride/push straight back up feeling
    personally i enjoy the mindless blast along the reservoir then go up to Whinston Lee / Cut Throat Bridge and back towards Langsett by the Strines road – but thats not to every ones taste

Pook

good baps

MrOvershoot

antigee – Member
    doing from Langsett and going to Fairholmes junk shop and cafe would only add about 2 (easy) miles to Higgo’s route

As antigee says its not going to add much if you do Higgo’s route in reverse but it would add about 8 1/2 miles to a route that turned at the bottom of Cranberry Clough if my quick squint at a map is correct.

And for some reason the track along Derwent seems to be slightly uphill in both directions (probabaly just me)
    Personally I think it makes more sense in from Fairholmes

higgo
    Free Member

Really nice up there today. It’s not the driest I’ve ever known it but it’s pretty close.

bonj
    Free Member

what’s the bit up from north america ruins like
    when i’ve been up there (not recently) it was a quagmire, but then the descent from mickleden edge to langsett was brilliant.
    Would be a great ride if you didn’t have that, as otherwise you either have to ride the length of mortimer road with its 1 in4s and 1 in 5s or go back the same way you came.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Was indeed very dry, with the odd boggy bit, and was a great ride up there today.

Also the repair work carried out on the top section (rocky river bed) is a lot better than I hoped. It is like a section from Coed y Brenin, hardpack singletrack with rock edging. Better than the boggy mess it used to be.

A great ride 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

We were up there today too. Grand day out and dry enough for it to be really good fun. Mate got a couple of punctures though which meant having to stop on the downhills and losing some flow but it was pretty decent really.

Lot of people out riding it today

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate – nice and dry?’ is closed to new replies.