Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does anyone else here find weekends more stressful than weeks?
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

I don’t know what it is but I seem to be finding the weekends more stressful than being at work during the week. I’m not ill or under a massive workload (well anymore than any other teacher). I just seem to spend my whole weekend on edge for one reason or another or getting quite angry over really stupid things.

Any suggestions? Oh and go ride your bike isn’t helping as I do that one anyway 🙂

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Maybe your weekend frustrations are a hangover from a stressful week?

I love weekends and mine are defininitely more relaxing than the weeks.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Possibly but I find by Tuesday I feel normal again. Besides I do really like my job. It has bad moments but the highs are unbeatable.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Drink more and have more sex.

aleigh
    Free Member

I find my weekends are a bit stressful when I have my children. There must be more to it for you to feel this was as I’d say usually people can chill on a weekend.

aleigh
    Free Member

that was meant to say ‘for you to feel this way’ – d’oh! 😆

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Yep, sm…I am exactly the same.
    Teacher here, and yes I do love parts of my job, but after 20 yrs the stress has only increased!
    The only really “safe” time for me is Friday evening, when I can really unwind.
    I know that teaching is seen by many on here as not a “real” job, whatever that means. But dealing with other peoples’ kids all day long is no joke.
    Get a good book to lose yourself in for a few hours!

*Awaits onslaught*

Spongebob
    Free Member

I know a head teacher and by all accounts her stress is dealing with the parents and other external matters like political meddling. The kids are relatively easy to manage and are the only reason for continuing her effort!

Teaching IS a real job, done by highly qualified people, to exacting goverment standards, but with insufficient support from county councils.

There are a lot of people who have precious little academic qualifacations who salaries dwarf that of a teacher. I personally can’t work out why they do it for such little reward, but they do have good pensions (at the moment). Without this, i’m sure our schools would have to close due to lack of staff.

The good or excellent teachers command my respect!

I still think drinking more and having more sex is the remedy. 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

It’s the reverse with me – but only because I spend every weekend working (for the NHS) in order to fund a part-time MA in Archaeology (my original, err, vocation). Some day, my weekends will be free again…

FoxyChick
    Free Member

spongebob…dealing with the kids is the easy bit, but at the end of the day they have parents, who can be a nightmare.
    I have one 5 yr old in my class whose behaviour is absolutely appalling. When I speak to his mother about him she says he’s as good as gold at home! Then in the next breath she says to me “God help you when you get our Olivia in your class, she’s even worse”!
    She’ll then go on and on about how she can’t control her kids!
    However good, bad of indifferent you are as a teacher, there is always some loony parent lurking!!

djglover
    Free Member

so glad I work in an office and can unwind at the weekend 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m not sure I recognise the concept of stress, but my weekends are definitely more energetic 🙂

alwyn
    Free Member

Today my stress levels have hit max and still seem to go up. My only day off and I feel like an emotional councillor. Tomorrow and next week will not be fun.

aleigh
    Free Member

I know that teaching is seen by many on here as not a “real” job

I’m one of few perhaps that take my hat of to you and your fellow teachers! I couldn’t do it after seeing what a friend went through – he quit it.

Kids in the day and at home if you have them, marking, setting homework, planning etc – I really don’t know where you find the time TBH.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I know that teaching is seen by many on here as not a “real” job

au contraire! I have great respect for teachers – it’s hard enough dealing with one or two of your own children, never mind teeming hordes of other people’s!

duntmatter
    Free Member

Big up the teachers!

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Second what everyone else says – what stress’s me is parents lack of understanding of the realities of the process. It’s amazing how many parents suddenly start replying to emails and phoning you in their childs last year of GCSE’s. However my stress cure for now is this.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what stress’s me

hope your subject is woodwork…

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Maths actually but the kids know I’m dyslexic so if what I’ve written on the board makes no sense to them it may actually make no sense.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else here find weekends more stressful than weeks?’ is closed to new replies.