Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CT Spine Cervical with Contrast??????????????
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Had an appointment through for this proceedure but I had an MRI last week, why would they ask for this and what would be the reason so soon after an MRI? and more important is this going to hurt like a B1tch?????

Flaperon

No, CT scan is painless though the contrast medium may feel a bit weird if they inject it. Lots of reasons to choose CT over MRI, depends what the doctor wants to see. MRI is poor for things like the lungs and other cavities, while CT can give a good picture of these spaces.

However, IIRC from my medical physics course at uni, CT is very good for looking at bone structure. MRI was possibly to see if any nerves were being compressed in your back? Cervical refers to the region of your back being scanned.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

its for prolapsed dics at c6 and c7 in their words they are huge…. just not sure what this would show the on top of the mri for this. Im waiting for an operation to remove the discs

IA

Is painless, I had a CT scan of my neck after a massive stack.

Actually, was pretty uncomfy for me. Seems like I'm taller than most hospital equipment is long, so my legs were hanging off the end of the table-bed-thing a fair bit. And I have fairly broad shoulders too, so instead of resting in the concave bed thing, i was kinda across it, with it digging into my shoulder blades, one of which they suspected was fractured. Which was fun.

Flaperon

Well, if you consider that an MRI scans water, you can see why it would be difficult to get an accurate picture of the disc…

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

i meant to get the contrast stuff into my spine, it says no driving for 24 hrs after this, just trying to get my head round why they are doing this.. and yes I will call them on monday to find out why this is on the cards when they already decided to op and remove the disc's.. just very curious

clump
    Free Member

As Flaperon said MRI v good for soft tissue, CT better for bone. Though if it is only for disc removal do not know why they would need both- MRI usually sufficient unless the discs prolapsed in trauma, in which case the MRI might have picked up something bony that needs clarification.
    As for the contrast, might just be a standard appointment letter. Unless it says that you are having a CT myelogram (for which you would need day admission)the contrast would be going into a vein, not into your "spine".
    I am a radiographer, typing this while waiting for a patient to arrive.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

thanks clump, not 100% sure where they are going to inject the contrast, calling the surgeon today to find out more

Tango-Man
    Free Member

I have had this done, a day apart, the contrast goes into the back of the hand, nice big needle, weird feeling and in it goes, the reason for it is that is gives a better image quality and shows more detail of the blood flows etc

Painless but a weird feeling

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

sorted ct on the 22nd and my follow up on xmas eve 🙁 well there goes the family day out but at least I guess I will then know when the big day is

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CT Spine Cervical with Contrast??????????????’ is closed to new replies.