Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Crisp best before dates…
  • billybob
    Free Member

Was listening to Laurene Laverne on 6music this morning & overheard some random information, it seems all crisps best before dates are on a Saturday.

Just checked my crisp supply & they are best before 01/10/11 a Saturday. What is this crisp conspiracy!?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They’re all made on a Saturday too.

Conqueror
    Free Member

because on Saturday people might be on the raz and crisps might be had after… but this way they can say they were off and it was definitely the naff lager that was consumed that made them hurl

RealMan
    Free Member

Apparently, sell by dates on Crisp packets end on a Saturday for the licensing trade. This is because normally dry stock rotation in pubs and clubs is on a Friday, therefore, sell by dates are on a Saturday to ensure sales up to and including stock rotation day.

bighendo
    Free Member

Walkers Tomato Ketchup
    24/09/11 saturday …..

epo-aholic
    Free Member

nah, i dont believe this……..

walkers french fries worcester sauce……..08/10/11
    Walkers baked S&V…….1/10/11
    walkers squares S&V…….22/10/11

……..all **** saturdays, whod’ve thunk it! 😉

BigJohn

Crisps are the only food with a best before date which really matters.

Fresh crisps are fantastic, old ones are a real disappointment. Particularly for iDavers because we can only eat them on a Friday :o(

Cougar

“Best before” is not the same as “Use by.”

‘Best before’ is an ephemeral date after which the manufacturers no longer guarantee that the product will be perfect – but it’s probably still fine. Much as they’d like you to, you really shouldn’t be throwing out perfectly good food and buying more.

‘Use by’ is an indication of freshness. After the Use by date passes, you should really be throwing out whatever it is.

rs
    Free Member

walkers french fries worcester sauce……..08/10/11

those are sooooo good!

fourbanger
    Free Member

“‘Use by’ is an indication of freshness. After the Use by date passes, you should really be throwing out whatever it is.”

What a load of crap. Use your common sense and your nose.

Cougar

You tend to find ‘use by’ on meat products. Good luck.

jon1973
    Free Member

After the Use by date passes, you should really be throwing out whatever it is.

Rubbish, things don’t suddenly go bad at the stroke of midnight on the use by date. Like fourbanger says, use common sense.

iDave
    Free Member

Personally I’d never eat crisps before a date

thegreatape
    Free Member

Rubbish, things don’t suddenly go bad at the stroke of midnight on the use by date. Like fourbanger says, use common sense.

This is true. Morrisons fresh meat, in my experience, typically goes rancid 4-5 days before the ‘use by’ date.

jon1973
    Free Member

This is true. Morrisons fresh meat, in my experience, typically goes rancid 4-5 days before the ‘use by’ date.

good point, if things don’t look or smell right before or after the use by date, then don’t eat the stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

That brought a smile to my little cherubic face, thanks.

Cougar

Fair comment.

The ‘use by’ date is the date after which the manufacturer suggests that the product may not be safe. On or before, they’re guaranteeing that it is. After, you eat it at your own risk. The point I’m getting at is, ‘best before’ has no such implication, it just means that the product might not be as crisp or as tasty or whatever if you leave it too long.

The problem with relying on common sense is that in a society where it’s deemed necessary to put “warning: may be hot” on coffee cups, common sense isn’t as prevalent as it should be.

jon1973
    Free Member

common sense isn’t as prevalent as it should be.

That, I would agree with, and I see the point you’re making. We very rarely throw any food away though, as I think they play it very safe with use-by dates, and I think it’s pretty easy to tell when stuff has gone off. A lot of dry foods, like pasta have use by dates on, which is ridiculous, and kind of shows that those dates are pretty arbitrary.

Cougar

I think they play it very safe with use-by dates

No arguments here. It’s easy to see why though – partly out of fear of being sued, and partly to encourage you to buy more.

A lot of dry foods, like pasta have use by dates on, which is ridiculous,

Are you sure that’s ‘use by’ and not ‘best before’? Regardless though, you’re right; you get ‘best before’ dates on salt, it’s a bloody preservative.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Crisp best before dates…’ is closed to new replies.