Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • Creeping Americanisms
  • piemonster

But do we also have to become vacuous, pop-culture and sports obsessed idiots who worship the military, glorify wealth and possessions and deify celebrities?

Slade
    Football
    The Falklands
    The Royal Family (not the Caroline Ahern one)

john_drummer
    Free Member

Fender also make guitars and guitar amplifiers. Named after the founder of the company, Leo Fender.

TomB

Swap out

Meet with

Grrrr

slowoldman

Being pissed when you’re annoyed rather than drunk.

Admitting to living in a condom but finding it funny that we Brits erase things with a rubber.

chakaping
    Free Member

The word douche as an insult.

I get really pissed at that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Could you please talk to that topic?”

Talk to it? It’s a topic, it’s not a person, not even an animal. I can talk ABOUT it, but not to it. Grrr.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Starting sentences with ‘so’ when explaining something.

batfink
    Free Member

Being pissed when you’re annoyed rather than drunk.

Australians will tell you “I’ve really got the sh*ts this morning!”… meaning that they are annoyed. Took me by surprise the first time I heard that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

using bring when they mean take.

Del

just adopt the metric system already, you bunch of ****.

nealglover
    Free Member

If things are stolen from your house, you’ve been burgled. The person who did is a burglar.
    But in America, you been burglarized. Next thing, the person who did it will have become a burglarizer …

I think we can allow Americans to have Americanisms… In America.

Pigface
    Free Member

What about Australianisms

crack a saddy
    Arvo
    Smoko
    tray top
    rack off
    actually when I lived in Oz never once heard anyone say “rack off”

kayak23

Pook – Member
    ‘Can I get a black coffee?’

NO. THE PERSON YOU’RE TALKING TO WILL GET IT. THAT’S WHAT THEY’RE PAID FOR YOU TOSSPOT.

This

This

This

mt
    Free Member

Mountainbike anyone? Now that really naffs me off, everyone knows it’s a tracker (late 60’s).

jools182
    Free Member

They’ve started saying pissed to mean pissed off at work

It’s really annoying

If anyone says December one for the date I might strangle them

chakaping
    Free Member

actually when I lived in Oz never once heard anyone say “rack off”

How about daggy broomhead?

Does this need another thread? Creeping Neighbours-isms?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Math (as in do the…)
    De-planing (as it get off the plane or disembark)
    Good job (well done)
    Put the apple in the bucket (nice shot)….in the hole (ditto)
    Is that to go?

zzjabzz
    Free Member

“You did good…”

DezB
    Free Member

They’ve started saying pissed to mean pissed off at work

Oh yes. It’s pathetic.

See also:
    Reach out
    Heads up

they are the worst encroachments into my workplace. I don’t talk to anyone anymore for fear of calling them a rude name.

chip
    Free Member

Using season instead of series.

If it’s an American TV series I can live with it but don’t ever use season 2 instead of series 2 or 2nd series of when describing a British TV series.
    Bloody TV announcers.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Bring instead of take winds me up

Gotten

Smarts – as in “He’s got book smarts”.

IHN

Pook – Member
    ‘Can I get a black coffee?’

NO. THE PERSON YOU’RE TALKING TO WILL GET IT. THAT’S WHAT THEY’RE PAID FOR YOU TOSSPOT.

This. And the use of the verb ‘to like’ when describing the progress of a conversation;

“He was like, ‘can I get an Americano?’, and she was like ‘no, I’ll have to get it for you, you tosspot'”

What, they were both like that? They didn’t actually say it, instead they portrayed the meaning of the conversation in some other form? How did they do it, by the power of interpretive dance?

I blame Friends.

Starting sentences with ‘so’ when explaining something.

The first word of Beowulf is “Hwaet”. Literally “what” but usually translated as “so” or “listen”. So I think we are alright on that one 🙂

IA

I’m not sure if americans are to blame for both of these, but I never want to “touch base” or do anything “by close of play”.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Unexplainably.

Actually one of the more reasonable and logical ones but nevetheless it fills with me fury.

Northwind

somewhatslightlydazed – Member The first word of Beowulf is “Hwaet”. Literally “what” but usually translated as “so” or “listen”. So I think we are alright on that one

Damm ye creeping olde-english-ysms!

I don’t think ass and arse are interchangable really, they feel pretty different in use.

slowoldman

“Alternate” instead of “Alternative”.

Anyway, at least we haven’t adopted any French terms have we?

DezB
    Free Member

somewhatslightlydazed – Member The first word of Beowulf is “Hwaet”. Literally “what” but usually translated as “so” or “listen”. So I think we are alright on that one

You must be a riot at parties! 🙂

Northwind

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think ass and arse are interchangable really, they feel pretty different in use.

Well as an insult they mean different things – arse being an unpleasant person, ass being a fool. However if you are talking about sitting down that’s definitely an arse unless you are Jesus’ mum.

nemesis
    Free Member

Anyway, at least we haven’t adopted any French terms have we?

I particularly like Frenchisms that we use that the French don’t 🙂

Double entendre for example.

FWIW, ‘Americanisms’ are somewhat silly but we’ve had stupid English expressions for years too – the world’s more global you grumpy old gits, get over it 😉

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Well as an insult they mean different things – arse being an unpleasant person, ass being a fool. However if you are talking about sitting down that’s definitely an arse unless you are Jesus’ mum.

Even when you’re keeping it biological, they handle differently- arsehole and asshole aren’t direct equivalents (you should hear my mum call people arsehole, nobody can put that much feel into asshole)

MSP

Using season instead of series.

If it’s an American TV series I can live with it but don’t ever use season 2 instead of series 2 or 2nd series of when describing a British TV series.
    Bloody TV announcers.

Their way actually makes more sense, series for the whole show, season for each years run.

The when someone starts a thread saying they have just finished watching the wire/breaking bad ect and want to know what anyone else thinks is the best series/season, it defines the questions context.

Rubber_Buccaneer

This thread is AWESOME!

molgrips
    Free Member

I particularly like Frenchisms that we use that the French don’t

Similarly, a lot of ‘American’ words for things are actually old British terms that they continued to use and we didn’t.

nemesis
    Free Member

And by all accounts, English spellings of many words are actually ‘wrong’ or at least later developments meant to make things look more French (eg Colour rather than color)

(you should hear my mum call people arsehole, nobody can put that much feel into asshole)

Yes, arsehole is a proper English swearword, as, of course, is bollocks. They should rank among our great contributions to world culture.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Me either.

nemesis
    Free Member

Wait until ‘socialize’ makes it over here…

Context
    – You know that great project plan you showed me the other day? Have you socialized it yet?
    – No, I’ve kept it to myself so far but I can socialize it to the wider team if you want.

😕

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, our greatest contribution to world culture is bollocks.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Creeping Americanisms’ is closed to new replies.