Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • Creeping Americanisms
  • neilwheel
    Free Member

If there are only two sizes then it’s either small or large, there is no medium.

Happy to be a common southerner who dislikes creepy americans’ arses.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I found it pleasant that an Indian friend (from Mumbai) used “Thrice” for “3 times”, a word I hadn’t heard since forever. Got me wondering if Indians who speak English as their first language use more traditional(?) English than the British these days?.

Anyway, 10 years ago I used to frequent waterski forums mostly used by Americans and ‘than’ was sometimes substituted with ‘then’, like “I’d rather have an X then a Y”. In recent times I’ve noticed it a lot more often on the internet in general, even occasionally on this forum. With the internet being mostly dominated by American Websites (Facebook, You Tube), Americanisms will dominate even more so then they did previously thru films, TV etc. Better get over it.

Cougar

The word you’re looking for there is “through.”

Surely “then / than” is another Stupidism?

Cougar

Also,

Facebook and YouTube aren’t “American websites,” they’re global websites. They’re hosted in the US but the reason they have more Americans is that there’s more of them.

hh45
    Free Member

Denim jeans. what wrong with corduroys?

Rock ‘n’ roll. ditto country music?

slowoldman

Ah. Corduroy breeches, red socks and stout boots.

Cougar

I hear corduroy pillows are making headlines.

molgrips
    Free Member

Got me wondering if Indians who speak English as their first language use more traditional(?) English than the British these days?.

In my experience Indian English is becoming more of a distinct dialect, with some old fashioned words, but the pattern of speech being more like some Indian languages. A mate at a previous job spoke perfectly clearly without a thick accent, but the way he’d talk would be incomprehensible at times and I’d have to tell him to start again in a form of English I could understand 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re banned.

chewkw
    Free Member

Hey bros you all know diddly squat. 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nobody does Geographies or Englishes?

Well I never put it like that but I suppose I did, yes.

English Language and English Literature
    Physical Geography and Human Geography

john_drummer
    Free Member

hh45 – Member

Rock ‘n’ roll. ditto country music?

Both American styles of music, I think you’ll find. Country music has some of its roots in English Folk music, with a liberal sprinkling of a number of other national styles. Rock’n’roll was a mix of hillbilly music – a form of country music – gospel and blues, both also very much American styles.

metcalt

Cougar – Moderator

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have done.

DezB
    Free Member

fries? nah, always chips.

Was I dreaming or did I see a British advert for a chip maker where they said they were making FRIES?

Pigface
    Free Member

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have done.

after about 30 seconds I guffawed, bit thick me 😳

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Creeping Americanisms’ is closed to new replies.