Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Credit card fraud – they finally got me too.
  • MrTall
    Free Member

Was just checking my credit card online when i noticed pending transactions from yesterday and today totalling £481 which i had no recollection of spending. Quick call to Barclaycard shows i have apparently spent £244 on shoes from an Istanbul catalogue shop, £67 at National Express and £168 at the supermarket. Two further attempts for National Express were declined about an hour before i noticed (quite good of Barclaycard's systems to react so quickly).

Looks like i'll be able to claim it all back but it's frustrating to know these people get away with it so easily.

The people selling all of our details need to get far more severe punishment to put others off doing the same.

I have had a lot of friends who have been scammed in a similar way and i guess it was about time i got done as well. So is it par for the course these days and just one of those things we all have to deal with from time to time?

I'm glad i check all my accounts so regularly and will be doing so on a daily basis from now on. Shame that the pending transactions don't show where the money has been spent immediately and you have to wait a day or two.

Thieving gits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

anoyingly I can't get into my online account and the hole in the wall just refused my card, time for a phonecall methinks.

MrTall
    Free Member

Don't want to worry you but the chap in the fraud dept told me online access is denied as soon as a card is 'compromised'. I would definately call them asap!

pstokes99
    Free Member

Steve – I'm on my way to yours but need a favour; can you come and pick me from the coach station? I would walk but I've got all this shopping to carry and these new shoes are killing me 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope, spoke to a very polite chap, presumably in India (is saying that a banning offence?), no explanationas to why it wasn't working, just changed the secret number and all was well.

They had a record of the card not working, but couldnt explain why. I'm starting to think HSBC are just blocking it for fun.

pstokes99
    Free Member

When my card (Goldfish) was used fraudulently I simply had to sign and declare which transactions were not mine and then the amounts (plus any interest) were 'voided' from the next statement.

TBH it wasn't as much as a saga as I thought it might have been.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I had my account hacked about 3 weeks ago..

Just what I needed before going on Holiday 😐

Still, looks like its all about sorted now tho..

I wouldn't mind, but our joint account got done at Christmas, and I've only just about got that cleared up.

DM52
    Free Member

I had my switch card cancelled 'for my convenience' due to apparent irregular transactions, turns out I am an irregular shopper as all the transactions were legitimate! What a fun weekend that was with only a tenner to spend and no food. Interestingly my online account was not suspended at all as I was using it to check all the transactions with the banks fraud department.

I rather they suspend the cards rather than cancel them so if they do hit a false positive the card can be re-activated without too much fuss but I guess that system would not be 100% infallible.

gnarlynath
    Free Member

My Barclaycard was compromised 2 weeks ago. I'm getting nervous about using it online now as it was only a couple of days after I'd updated my details on a well known site. Nothing conclusive other than it hasn't happend since my last update but I'm more suspcious than ever about leaving my card number.

scaredypants

seems to have been a spate of this lately (or coincidentally to me & lots of people I know)

billybob
    Free Member

a mate of mine tried to use his credit card & the credit card company stopped the transactions & cancelled the card because they thought it wasn't him!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Credit card fraud – they finally got me too.’ is closed to new replies.