• This topic has 948 replies, 113 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igrf.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 949 total)
  • Creationist religious nutjob on R4 "One to One 9.30am"
  • zokes
    Free Member

The trouble with religion is that we are all going to some form of hell or other. Several religions condemn either believers of other religions, or the non religious to eternal damnation there, so that’s where we’ll all end up!

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve never felt more happy, empowered, relaxed and free since I’ve been going to church. Let alone met loads of new like minded friends within a very welcoming wider church/school community….

There’s a lot of be said for taking part in social activities and groups. Humans are a tribal animal, so we feel better when in groups. Could it be the group that’s making you happy, or is it the spirit of an all powerful being?

(For context: my wife is a Christian and goes to church. She’s also a chaplain in a CofE primary school. I’m still not entirely sure what she actually believes.)

D0NK

Adultery doesn’t usually go down well and neither does covetousness

religions tend to have amusing views on what is classed as adultery
    coveting something is just a thought, acting on it is not mentioned. Thinking you’d quite like something (oooh I’d really like that nomad my mate is riding) is against the big ten, it’s a thought crime, as such I’m uncomfortable with it.

lying about people

fair enough, forgot about that one 😉 mea culpe

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps Woppit, out of intrigue, they go and listen to the program itself*, understand its purpose, consider the mental state of the guy in question and realise that (without agreeing with the subject) that the OP’s comments verge on the ridiculous.

*admittedly only got to 8mins through before I got a little tired of both the point, “what makes people persevere?” and the limited arguments that the guy in question was coming up with. Wrong in interpretation, most probably, nut case or deserving sanctioning under mental health acts, let’s not get silly.

jamj1974

I could not be in more violent disagreement with creationists if I tried, but I wholeheartedly agree with Kenny Senior.

I’m with GeeTee on this^^

But not this…

No the more pernicious part is that in order to get the best education without having to pay for it, at least one parent has to subscribe to the school’s associated church.

Because we didn’t and don’t but all our children go there – sometimes to my despair…

wwaswas

I’m with Mike – it’s possibly as much about the sense of finding a ‘tribe’ to fit in with and belong too.

CountZero

Rationalism is on the decline. Personally I think we’re not encouraging children to explore the wonders of science and the natural world in the same way we used to. Kids don’t connect with nature in the same way.

Even with all the science and nature programmes on TV? There was a new one on 4 last night, then there’s Kate Humble’s new one, Prof Brian Cox’s new one, Attenborough, Country File, Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter Watch…
    Re: dinosaurs dying out, they’re still around, they just evolved into birds… 😈

miketually
    Free Member

Re: dinosaurs dying out, they’re still around, they just evolved into birds…

The smaller ones, yes.

binners

Have the dinosaurs died out? When did that happen?

D0NK

theft? murder?

already excepted

adultery?

see above

no days off?

days off are good doesn’t need to be a sunday tho does it, most people get saturday off aswell not sure who brought that about but guess it wasn’t the church campaigning for it, can anyone clear that up?

respect your family?

assuming they deserve respect yes, but there’s some pretty nasty people out there who are allowed to procreate, not sure they should have respect enshrined in law commanded

no perjury?

as above forgot that one, added to the exception

no jealousy?

see above

jfletch
    Free Member

I’ve never felt more happy, empowered, relaxed and free since I’ve been going to church.

There is probably a lot of evidence to prove that humans are social animals and getting together in orgainsed groups to chat and do good things makes us feel better.

If religion didn’t exist people would still do this. Infact it would be better as it would be more inclusive without all the god stuff to get in the way.

Our country has a Christian past but as soon as the inclusion of religion in the fabric of our society, things like socuts/guides, playgroups, comunity groups is reduced the better.

RustySpanner

Watching stuff on TV is no substitute for going out and getting mucky. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rationalism is on the decline. Personally I think we’re not encouraging children to explore the wonders of science and the natural world in the same way we used to. Kids don’t connect with nature in the same way.

No we are the best place we have ever been – for example both Blair and Cameron were devout but had to not speak [ very much] about it in public
    We have moved so far from the dark ages. R ethe tolerance – if we were to say these views years ago or even in some countries today we would be killed as heretics and blashphemers – the church never mentions its own terrible sins of intolerance when asking us to be tolerant do they?
    Rationalism is in the ascendency and most religious folk are token at best
    Its been a long journey but we have made greta progress and I beleive we are “winning” the argument tbh
    What is happening is that those who remain as devout are more evangelical and devout – perhaps because they are challenged daily???
    Its a great time and religion [ in the west] is on the decline.
    I would like it removed from the state and the national curriculum and hope to one day see that day.

Folk can believe what they want what they cannot do is impose this on others or think we need to be taught it to make us better- arrogant ****.
    Imagine their reaction if we made all religious schools do a daily act of Dawkins reading 😉
    FWIW I also dont think it is a messag eo flove and toilerance and if it is it is an iron fist in a velvet glove

RustySpanner

Junky, you may well be right.

The religious may well be getting their fundamental on in a response to decling numbers.

miketually
    Free Member

There is probably a lot of evidence to prove that humans are social animals and getting together in orgainsed groups to chat and do good things makes us feel better.

If religion didn’t exist people would still do this. Infact it would be better as it would be more inclusive without all the god stuff to get in the way.

There’s an atheist “church” in That London and Alain de Botton has written recently about atheists using architecture and music.

D0NK

can we please just accept that if god exists, god is a domestic abuser and most probably female?

why female?

and junkyard, take a bit of time out from rationally thought/ineptly typed religious arguments and answer your text/emails. 😉

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“The indoctrination of children into religious dogma is a form of child abuse.”

I’m sorry you feel that way. Do you speak from experience? Is that where all your hatred comes from.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😳

Sits on naughty step texting

zokes
    Free Member

That told you!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    Rationalism is in the ascendency and most religious folk are token at best

JY – that is a great quote, which I might throw at a few students. Given the history of rationalism and its foundations in the likes of Wolffe, I look forward to seeing who sees the irony in that quote. But just goes to prove the arguments of adding historical perspectives to debates on religion.

As an aside, I wonder if relativism rather than rationalism isn’t on the ascendency. As for the daily readings of Dawkins et al, everyone has access to the media!! 😉 Indeed the radio program referred to in the OP was hosted by a Guardian writer I believe!

joao3v16
    Free Member

One thing’s for sure, all the non-religious people always seem to get very angry and defensive about their precious atheism/agnosticism.

Why not just brush it aside and ignore it if it’s all just fairy tales and what-not?

😀

miketually
    Free Member

I’m sorry you feel that way. Do you speak from experience? Is that where all your hatred comes from.

You know you were supposed to turn the other cheek to the comment about child abuse, right?

teasel
    Free Member

Moses

Burning bush

Nuff said.

wwaswas

Why not just brush it aside and ignore it if it’s all just fairy tales and what-not?

because you’re expecting my taxes to fund it.

otherwise I do 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    binners

People are making one hell of an assumption thinking religion is in decline. And generalising .

The Church of England may well be. But that’s because it’s not a proper religion in the first place. It was just created as an excuse for a fat bloke to shag about a bit. Now its just a sort of the ‘none of the above’ option to put on the census as you don’t believe in anything specific, but you don’t not believe enough to describe yourself as an atheist.

Would you say Islam is in decline? Nope! And Catholicism is having a massive renaissance in this country due to immigration

tyger
    Free Member

Binners +1

Non C of E churches are growing too

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“I’ve never felt more happy, empowered, relaxed and free since I’ve been going to church” Edit… and believing in God.

But I guess I left that out, because most of you will think he believes in a Sky Wizard. What a nut job!?!

But I’m just like you… I like the outdoors, QI, meat pie, riding my bike hard, Spurs, quality sunday papers, classical music, rock n roll …. hell I’ve even got a pouncy/stupid coffee maker and a set of spare bombers hanging around the garage…. so do you really believe that I think there is a sky wizard controlling it all …. come on really ??

So

“to chat and do good things makes us feel better.”

Yes agreed … to be excellent to one another and for yourself I might add… for me God/church is like a lighting rod for that…. It makes me mind full of it, aware of it, gives it a name.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

JY “Its a great time and religion(in the west) is on the decline”

Christianity maybe on the decline, I dont think Islam is on the decline here in the UK.

The religion of greed, vanity and celebrity worship is on the increase.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“I’ve never felt more happy, empowered, relaxed and free since I’ve been going to church” Edit… and believing in God.

Not evidence of god, however.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“You know you were supposed to turn the other cheek to the comment about child abuse, right? “

Yeah I know… but I’m new to this game, old habits die hard. I’ll get there I hope.

edit … Oh a second chance… must resist temptation.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… or the existence of the alleged nazarene ……

miketually
    Free Member

One thing’s for sure, all the non-religious people always seem to get very angry and defensive about their precious atheism/agnosticism.

Because it has more power and privilege than it should have.

The head of the church is also the head of state. The Church of England has reserved seats in the Lords. Religions get subsidised state schools.

Once Christianity has the same level of power and privilege as Zeus or Thor, we’ll stop talking about it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder if relativism rather than rationalism isn’t on the ascendency

That is a good one for the philosophy students and a fair point tbh

As for the daily readings of Dawkins et al, everyone has access to the media!!

Yes but only the religious get Thought for the day

Would you say Islam is in decline? Nope! And Catholicism is having a massive renaissance in this country due to immigration

Gives us a few hundred years to grind them down will you binners

FWIW I think those two religions share a remarkable quality
    Folk who clearly do not follow one word / much of that religion still count themselves as belonging to it
    IIRC 99% of catholics ignore the contraception rule so it depends what you look at tbh

I know a muslim who drinks , smoke s and commits adultery – he still thinks he is a Muslim and teh growth of the religion a good thing

I am a better [closer to being a ] Muslim than him

They will keep their pockets but they dont control the entire cosiety we live in.

Their power is in decline and it will be for ever

miketually
    Free Member

… or the existence of the alleged nazarene ……

I think the existence of Jesus is accepted now, because they went to a lot of effort to make up lots of things about him.

tyger
    Free Member

Turning the other cheek would actually indicate to a Roman Soldier that you were his equal or possibly get him into trouble – nothing to do with the way it’s usually understood these days.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve never felt more happy, empowered, relaxed and free since I’ve been going to church.

..or..
    I’ve found a crutch and I’m happy with it. It’s also cheaper than alcohol

miketually
    Free Member

I know a muslim who drinks , smoke s and commits adultery – he still thinks he is a Muslim and teh growth of the religion a good thing

If you tell someone in Ireland that you’re an atheist they’ll ask whether you’re a catholic atheist or a protestant atheist.

miketually
    Free Member

Turning the other cheek would actually indicate to a Roman Soldier that you were his equal or possibly get him into trouble – nothing to do with the way it’s usually understood these days.

I know. I was using it in the sense it’s usually understood nowadays, rather than what Jesus meant.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve met lots of bitter, uptight, depressed church-goers.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘Creationist religious nutjob on R4 "One to One 9.30am"’ is closed to new replies.