Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Creaky Chameleons
  • RealMan
    Free Member

My chameleons EBB creaks like mad. I've taken it out, cleaned it up, regreased it, and tried different things like carbon paste in there, but nothing seems to help very much.

Any tips?

Onzadog
    Free Member

about half a tub of copper grease sorted my mates out. Needs doing every year though.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just completely covering the thing? I've tried copper grease, but used normal amounts of it..

Onzadog
    Free Member

If two surfaces touch (non carbon) then generous copper slip. Not just the bolts but all the faces that touch anything.

ChrisL

I tried regular cleaning and greasing but that didn't sort it. Eventually I gave in and handed it to a decent LBS and the noise disappeared. I should have asked them what they did, but there wasn't any obvious signs of a huge amount of grease or copper slip oozing out of the EBB.

RealMan
    Free Member

If two surfaces touch (non carbon) then generous copper slip. Not just the bolts but all the faces that touch anything.

That's what I had done, to the point where everything was copper coloured. Maybe I just wasn't generous enough?

Eventually I gave in and handed it to a decent LBS and the noise disappeared. I should have asked them what they did, but there wasn't any obvious signs of a huge amount of grease or copper slip oozing out of the EBB.

Could you go back there and ask? For me and you? Which LBS was it?

mmb
    Free Member

interesting, mine does the same thing but goes away when i service it every couple of months, i've just learnt to live with it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The last one I did has lasted almost two years before the creaks have returned.

ChrisL

Which LBS was it?

The Bicycle Works, Argyll Place, Edinburgh.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

My mates creaks like a bastard. Annoys the hell out of me on rides

RealMan
    Free Member

i've just learnt to live with it.

That's what I've been doing so far, but it was mega loud last night. I swear its wasting about 500W. I'm actually working like Chris Hoy, just that 90% of it is going into making that noise..

Cheers ChrisL, just gave them a call and they recommended copper grease. Not really a breakthrough lol.

nickc

Mine only creaks when it's dusty. good clean sorts it out.

portlyone

AH is right, mine creaks like a bar steward. After a service it goes away and comes back again once it's washed down (no real pressure in the water either). I'll look into that copper stuff.

portlyone

The noise on mine was apparently created by the thread on the ebb disappearing. A replacement solved the problem.

singlespeedstu

Remove EBB unit.

Clean everything spotlessly.

Grease the inner parts of the EBB unit.

Wrap EBB unit in PTFE tape then gease the EBB shell and reinstall the EBB unit.

Ride on with out annoyingcreakage.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

singlespeedstu: I was suffering from a creaky EBB unit and it was doing my head in. Had tried copper grease etc in the past, which reduced it for a while before the creak returns in earnest.

The ptfe tape idea I hadn't considered, and it works a charm. Cheers.

singlespeedstu

Glad it worked for you.

The next step if the PTFE tape trick didn't work would be to fit a Carver EBB unit with nylon sleeve.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Creaky Chameleons’ is closed to new replies.